• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Multi-Tool

Thread starter #1

MrMoose

Real talk
Backer
Allows one to cut down on inventory clutter/weight.

Most tools on a medium -> heavy duty multi-tool would be pretty nifty in STN-like scenario. Of course not every tool would have a use that would be practical gameplay-wise, but I think many have a place in the game. Alternatively, the devs could tailor the multi-tools to be relevant to gameplay mechanics while remaining realistic. ie an awl instead of a pair of scissors, or a punch for disassembling weapons, etc etc. (perhaps different specialized multi-tools, idk)

Some suggested mechanics to balance out the convenience/size and weight of a multi-tool.

Tools would be limited in certain tasks (-)
- For things like unscrewing something, or opening a can, a multi-tool would be able to do it just as well as a full sized tool (in most cases), but with something like a knife or saw there are many limiting factors.
Cutting jobs that would benefit from a larger blade/tool should expend much more energy if done with a multi-tool, or not be possible at all. Alternatively, doing something out of the multi-tool's capabilities should increase the chance of it breaking. ie the saw could be used for collecting kindling/small branches, but nothing much bigger, or the knife may take longer to gut/clean a fish.

-If any crafting recipes require a tool, I think it should be the dedicated tool, or at least a higher risk of damage.

Must keep oiled if using often (-)
-Many moving parts/pivots. If you're using it often, especially outdoors, keeping things lubricated/rust free would be pretty important.

Would use slightly more energy (-)
-Generally have less leverage than full-sized tools.

Just thinking it would be cool when not going looting not to have to bring every many tools, but have a little bit of everything, perhaps with a few tougher use redundancies.

If you have any thoughts or other uses/mechanics for multi-tools or tools in general please share below!

Last edited:

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Only things I could think of that you have not mentioned is to disable traps and a good tool for small fixes on electrical equipment... I do like this and this is a perfect little tool that should be in.

NovaSniper

Professional Argonian Badass
Backer
I like it

Cookie

Officially Unofficial.
Backer
I would love to have this in the game, but if it is added, this has to be a version of it.
This definitely looks like something that could fit in your pocket without triggering.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
I would love to have this in the game, but if it is added, this has to be a version of it.
Only thing that knife is missing is flint & steel or a lighter (unless I can't see it).

Thread starter #8

MrMoose

Real talk
Backer
Only thing that knife is missing is flint & steel or a lighter (unless I can't see it).
Son of a bitch has a magnifying glass! Good enough :D

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
Son of a bitch has a magnifying glass! Good enough :D
I'd starve before I could start a fire with that tiny thing... or end up being eaten.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
I also would have thought this thread would have turned into "Thats not a multi-tool, This is a multi-tool!." competition. :p

Or did @Graham win straight away...

Thread starter #11

MrMoose

Real talk
Backer
I also would have thought this thread would have turned into "Thats not a multi-tool, This is a multi-tool!." competition. :p

Or did @Graham win straight away...
Best multi-tool!

*Unzombified

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What, have I done... :eek:

*Runs far away from thread*