• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Museum

Thread starter #1

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
I think it would be great to have a museum in-game wherever the main city is on the island. Not really for gear, although I'm sure you could find some usable things inside.

This idea is for historical value, a place that shows the history of the island(s) area before the zombie outbreak. It would be a great place to explore the "back story" of the island. Nothing huge and fancy, something like a small county or town museum.

Here are some images for the local county museum when I lived in MO, it's essentially a re-purposed warehouse type building.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Great idea... and again I am surprised it's not suggested already.

It would contain cool items for nostalgia which might have a positive effect to remember the world that once was and also would be a strong place to fortify, it would be a great place for a group.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
It would be a great place to explore the "back story" of the island.
Been thinking about this and I have some ideas but 2 in-particular that I have thought out and would like to share... now if the devs have already started to work/think on this stuff, forget these ideas...

My ideas for possible museum exhibitions and a little back-story are:
1- The discovery of the island... it would be about the explorers who first come across Black Island, my thought on who they would be are the forum mods... each could be named if they wish have a plaque and diorama for the exhibition (thanks @SpaceBaldy ;))

2-This would the an exhibit about the colonization of Black Island... my thought was something like in Australia, the museum in Sydney has a wall with all the convicts names that where transported there to colonize the country, it could be like that but have all the backers names as the colonizers who moved their to live :D.

Thoughts people?

Thread starter #5

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
Been thinking about this and I have some ideas but 2 in-particular that I have thought out and would like to share... now if the devs have already started to work/think on this stuff, forget these ideas...

1- The discovery of the island... it would be about the explorers who first come across Black Island, my thought on who they would be are the forum mods... each could be named if they wish have a plaque and diorama for the exhibition (thanks @SpaceBaldy ;))

2-This would the an exhibit about the colonization of Black Island... my thought was something like in Australia, the museum in Sydney has a wall with all the convicts names that where transported there to colonize the country, it could be like that but have all the backers names as the colonizers who moved their to live :D.

Thoughts people?
Love it!

*Edit*
Just to expand a tad, I think the explorers who discovered the island(s) should be the Devs!

Moderator #6

DemoCar82

This is it... the apocalypse.
Community Mod
Backer

Thoughts people?
Lore to Black Island is glorious... need some type of lore and this would be a perfect opportunity IMO.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
Love it!

*Edit*
Just to expand a tad, I think the explorers who discovered the island(s) should be the Devs!
I was thinking that, but I then thought that they may put their office on the island and their names are on the gravestones... so it was something more like the devs are native bloodline to the island and the mods the first explorers who found their Island ;)

Davz Not Here

Backer
feel free to add dates, make changes, add on ..... this is an open source story

"History being what it is, I feel it important that my thoughts be written, that history might judge for itself.
We came to this Island on a clipper ship. Yeah do you F@#$ing' believe that? A F@#$ing 3 mast, sails and galley, clipper ship. It is the 21st century after all. We were looking for our own place, to live differently than we had or, as Thoreau would have said, "to live deliberately". We were unsatisfied by what others had offered us, life may be a sandbox, but that doesn't mean you can't build well designed sand castles RIGHT?

So, when we met @JB_ and @Jayty, and they said "we can do it better, different AND deliberately" ..... we were sold. We convinced our families and friends, and any who would listen along the way. We packed up as much as we could and we all jumped onto this clipper ship and started looking for an island to call our own. It was pure genius ..... at least, at the time. Getting the ship out of the bay, was no big deal ..... but sailing the ship, for a group of people with NO EXPERIENCE, that's another story all together. We watched as our fearless leaders and their cadre, learned the basics of sailing a 3 mast ship, with less than a skeleton crew and a bunch of hangers on who try as they might offered no more than basic ideas and solutions, but rarely had the skills to implement them.

The going was hard, though after many long arduous months of weary toil, our leaders started to get the hang of sailing that thing."

edit**** can i get a clipper ship wreck on one of the beaches? thanks

Last edited:

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer

Davz Not Here

Backer
Cool man but I hate when you write stuff like that... I get to the end and then I am like "Then what?..."
so ..... fill in the gaps maybe?
this is an open source story .... anyone who has been on TS knows i can 'go on forever' ..... we have a lot of creative folks here so ..... open door people

Davz Not Here

Backer

"History being what it is, I feel it important that my thoughts be written, that history might judge for itself.
We came to this Island on a clipper ship. Yeah do you F@#$ing' believe that? A F@#$ing 3 mast, sails and galley, clipper ship. It is the 21st century after all. We were looking for our own place, to live differently than we had or, as Thoreau would have said, "to live deliberately". We were unsatisfied by what others had offered us, life may be a sandbox, but that doesn't mean you can't build well designed sand castles RIGHT?

So, when we met @JB_ and @Jayty, and they said "we can do it better, different AND deliberately" ..... we were sold. We convinced our families and friends, and any who would listen along the way. We packed up as much as we could and we all jumped onto this clipper ship and started looking for an island to call our own. It was pure genius ..... at least, at the time. Getting the ship out of the bay, was no big deal ..... but sailing the ship, for a group of people with NO EXPERIENCE, that's another story all together. We watched as our fearless leaders and their cadre, learned the basics of sailing a 3 mast ship, with less than a skeleton crew and a bunch of hangers on who try as they might offered no more than basic ideas and solutions, but rarely had the skills to implement them.

The going was hard, though after many long arduous months of weary toil, our leaders started to get the hang of sailing that thing."
It wasn't long after this moment that we set off for international waters in the North Atlantic (? @JB_ @Jayty ).
We sailed back and forth for weeks, looking for that perfect island. As the seasons turned, and the weather of the North Atlantic(?) started to churn, our food stores dwindled and illness began to rear it's ugly head. The moments of success that lingered after learning to sail this hulk of a boat, soon languished as faith in our ideals and resolve was once more was tested. The night winds howled and soon brought with them hard falling, cutting, biting, ice and cold. We were resolute, though growing weary and our fearless leaders saw this, and at once steeled themselves to the coming task.

Shortly after, as autumn turned to winter, a break in the weather provided a distant silhouette. A small bump on the horizon, no more than a nipple of land protruding from our lady ocean. As we closed distance, the bump became a chain of islands and we set our sites on what seemed to be the largest and most fertile looking. We circumnavigated the island, finding a natural safe harbor on the north(? @JB_ @Jayty) side of the island. We put in, and skiff by skiff, we ferried onto the land. Lush and vibrant colors of plant and animal life filled our eyes, and was a welcome site after months of cold empty horizons. This was our new home and we set out to explore it for resources, building sites, etc. It was time to start building a new world.

Davz Not Here

Backer

edit**** can i get a clipper ship wreck on one of the beaches? thanks
It wasn't long after this moment that we set off for international waters in the North Atlantic (? @JB_ @Jayty ).
We sailed back and forth for weeks, looking for that perfect island. As the seasons turned, and the weather of the North Atlantic(?) started to churn, our food stores dwindled and illness began to rear it's ugly head. The moments of success that lingered after learning to sail this hulk of a boat, soon languished as faith in our ideals and resolve was once more was tested. The night winds howled and soon brought with them hard falling, cutting, biting, ice and cold. We were resolute, though growing weary and our fearless leaders saw this, and at once steeled themselves to the coming task.

Shortly after, as autumn turned to winter, a break in the weather provided a distant silhouette. A small bump on the horizon, no more than a nipple of land protruding from our lady ocean. As we closed distance, the bump became a chain of islands and we set our sites on what seemed to be the largest and most fertile looking. We circumnavigated the island, finding a natural safe harbor on the north(? @JB_ @Jayty) side of the island. We put in, and skiff by skiff, we ferried onto the land. Lush and vibrant colors of plant and animal life filled our eyes, and was a welcome site after months of cold empty horizons. This was our new home and we set out to explore it for resources, building sites, etc. It was time to start building a new world.
Hope had been rekindled, though any and all lofty ideas of 'changing the world' were quickly dashed to pieces, like so many ships on the rocky shoals of this our island home. Shelter and food were our first priorities. With winter upon us, and our food stores depleted from a longer than planned for voyage, hunting/gathering parties and construction crews were rallied. The first buildings were established on these gradually darkening days of chill and rain, and this is about the time sickness began to spread. It was basically the flu, it should have been no big deal, except, most of the people in our group had been raised on a steady diet of junk food and antibiotics. The human immune system is a muscle, and needs to be exercised. This small detail meant that most of our group had an under developed immune system, which when stressed by the perpetual wet cold climate and meager rations, started to fold under the pressure. There was about 500 people when that winter hit ..... in just a few weeks that number dropped by a 1/3 and the pyres lit up the days and nights. It was almost a wonder that every passing ship didn't stop to see if there was trouble. But they didn't. Rations were increased, what few medical supplies we brought with us were quickly used, and the healthy did what they could to find more food and improve the shelters. It was going to be a long winter. But our resolve was true, at least in the sense that we refused to just throw ourselves on the raging fires of our dead. So little by little, one building at a time, a small town was built. One step closer to the dream, and come spring it would be time to contact our compatriots back on the mainland who would send the next round of building supplies, surplus food, some tech. support etc. It was never the idea to live in a stone age world, just to have the 'modern' world work the way we were told it would, if not better.

Last edited:

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
Sorry, haven't fully read this thread.
But a museum? With a history of Black Rock Island. I'm right behind that idea!