• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Name Tags

Would you Like too see name tags in StN?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thread starter #1

dannysoutham

It was just...banter
In my opinion i wouldn't want too see name tags come up on players this is because if you were playing the stealthy game and decided to spy on other players it would completely give your position away too me this would put off playing the game completely for such a small thing but I also know many people like me want to play StN for realism and seeing a floating name tag above someones head doesn't make it seem very realistic.

However if you came accross friendly players and decided you wanted to team with them for a while you could get an option to tag that person as friendly for future reference too make sure you didnt "accidentally" kill them and maybe a small green symbol came above their head in a 100m range or something.

Crazypineapple55

The Official Bus Driver
Backer
Welcome to the forums! No I don't think they should add the names tag because as you stated it kind of foils the realism factor. On the topic of the friendly tagging, it has been discussed pretty thoroughly on a different thread, and I personally don't like it as it also ruins the realism as in real life we don't give our friends green makers to float over there heads. (even though it would be pretty cool). Just remember what they are wearing and try to communicate to limit the injuries you give to each other. Thanks for posting and I hope to see more from you future of development, as well as in the game.

http://community.survivethenights.net/threads/tag-as-friend.408/
Here is the thread started on Friendly Tagging if you want to read it. Has a Moderator's opinion in it too if that means anything to you.

brainspazm

Backer
Maybe give the option to set a specific player(s) in front of you to see your Name Tag(if they are staring at you directly) or Turn Off anytime without them being around just so friends don't shoot each other out when being hunted down by bandits, or know who's in your community or not.

LittleMoe

Backer
Also depends on how different everyone looks, if everyone starts off with a green shirt and brown pants its going to be very hard to tell the difference. Maybe different servers have it and some dont? So there is like a newb friendly server and Realistic server? I agree there should not be any name tags in the "Full game". If they do allow some servers to have it and some not, it would appeal to a wider set a people. Thats my 2 cents.

Davz Not Here

Backer
maybe this idea could be added in with the 'white flag' system?

Stronk IO - San ヾ(⌐■_■)

How can I forget the past when it still hurts me?
Backer
For example reing of kings you cant see the names until players presses G and wawes at you then it shows his name tag.

Freeman

Husband, father, survivalist.
Backer
I have a feeling that name tags will not be visible in game. It would downgrade the value of combat (or more so, trying to avoid it)
If a mental health system is to be put in place, allowing players to stealth around and avoid conflict altogether is a must.

NothingsTRUE

Survivor
Backer
I have a feeling that name tags will not be visible in game. It would downgrade the value of combat (or more so, trying to avoid it)
If a mental health system is to be put in place, allowing players to stealth around and avoid conflict altogether is a must.
I think I read somewhere that names will not pop up. I am searching for it real quick.

Freeman

Husband, father, survivalist.
Backer
I think I read somewhere that names will not pop up. I am searching for it real quick.
I personally could not find anything solid, in terms of Mod friendly info, aside from a few posts detesting the idea of name tags altogether. General consensus seems to be against them.

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
Ok so I just had a thought about names showing up above characters.

Say I see a stranger off in the distance, and I move towards him. Even as I get face to face with this person, their name does not show. It only shows when that person either says something in local (proximity) chat, or local (proximity) VoIP. At that point, I have effectively "met" that person and "know" their face, and now their name shows up whenever I'm close enough to recognize that person (whatever distance that may be). This would only work if a person uses local (proximity) communications, where only people in the vicinity are able to see what is being typed or hear the voice comms. Using "global" chat or PMs would have no impact (since you can generally send private messages without being next to one another).

Of course for people in your guild, clan, whatever they're going to be called for this game, their names would always show at a given distance (possibly further away).

Thoughts?

Davz Not Here

Backer
Ok so I just had a thought about names showing up above characters.

Say I see a stranger off in the distance, and I move towards him. Even as I get face to face with this person, their name does not show. It only shows when that person either says something in local (proximity) chat, or local (proximity) VoIP. At that point, I have effectively "met" that person and "know" their face, and now their name shows up whenever I'm close enough to recognize that person (whatever distance that may be). This would only work if a person uses local (proximity) communications, where only people in the vicinity are able to see what is being typed or hear the voice comms. Using "global" chat or PMs would have no impact (since you can generally send private messages without being next to one another).

Of course for people in your guild, clan, whatever they're going to be called for this game, their names would always show at a given distance (possibly further away).

Thoughts?
+1

MrJingles705

Bangarang!
Backer
Torn.

On the one hand... I recognise and know the names of all of my friends by face, and most of them from behind/side (just body shape, height, hair colour etc). So recognition of familiar faces should be possible.

That said... friendly fire does happen, and ambiguity helps if you somehow get jumped by people inside a building.... that moment of are they/arent they. So I could suggest a variation:

1) It still applies to anyone you have "met" (some kind of handshake system) - but:
a) People you are clanned with are recognised at a greater distance than those you just know
b) It requires you to both stand still to show names (that way if you run at each other in the bush there is the chance - as in real life - to panic and make a mistake)

2) To migigate b) we have some kind of coloured armband/paint daub type marking we can apply.... but this could be mimic'd by raiders too.... so yeah, a bit of roleplay ;)

Kacproc

Make it so that when some one is close their name tag dosent instantly pop up
make it so when some one is close you can press ALT on them And see their name
name tags are un immersive so make it so u can see when you want to

and having no name tag is bad too
when you have a big group and don't know whos who just point at them and press alt
to see their name

this would enable stealth when attacking other players

Davz Not Here

Backer
yeah the name tag has some minor issues (discussed in several threads and a bug report or two)
i like the idea of no name tags, until the 5-10 meter (LoS) range

Kacproc

yeah the name tag has some minor issues (discussed in several threads and a bug report or two)
i like the idea of no name tags, until the 5-10 meter (LoS) range
in Arma 3 you don't see name tags you zoom in and press ALT
I would like to see the same here but without thee zoom

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Could have a mix of both ideas... where namtags don't show up unless you have "locked" visual contact i.e looking directly at the person and within range like 5-10m is a good suggestion and ofc the hardcore option feature of no nametags.

Edit: They could also have them in other places than above your head, if sewing and other customization mechanics are added you could have your name on clothes, backpack etc not just for identification but also ownership ( that's probably talked about elsewhere thou).

Kacproc

Could have a mix of both ideas... where namtags don't show up unless you have "locked" visual contact i.e looking directly at the person and within range like 5-10m is a good suggestion and ofc the hardcore option feature of no nametags.

Edit: They could also have them in other places than above your head, if sewing and other customization mechanics are added you could have your name on clothes, backpack etc not just for identification but also ownership ( that's probably talked about elsewhere thou).
I like the idea of having hello my name is bob on my jacket

Davz Not Here

Backer
I like the idea of having hello my name is bob on my jacket
this is not a bad idea at all ..... taken a little further .....

we've discussed in other threads, a 'claim block' for territory, a name tag, could be a similar item, that when worn allows for other players to see your name at a further distance, taking it off reduces that to LoS 5-10m only.

This seems to blend the ideas above

we could also talk about certain areas of the Island being 'PvE' only like in WoW, where you can turn your PvP flag off and on, but also once you enter certain areas you are flagged and that is that

Kacproc

this is not a bad idea at all ..... taken a little further .....

we've discussed in other threads, a 'claim block' for territory, a name tag, could be a similar item, that when worn allows for other players to see your name at a further distance, taking it off reduces that to LoS 5-10m only.

This seems to blend the ideas above

we could also talk about certain areas of the Island being 'PvE' only like in WoW, where you can turn your PvP flag off and on, but also once you enter certain areas you are flagged and that is that
Dosent the PvE ruin the point of the game and the feeling
when I play Dayz I constantly feel watch and on my highst guard never to lower my gun
looking around near by hills and buildings
and I would agree for some server to have trading areas (another cool idea would be no NPC traders only players)
but not every server
I think such zones should be made by players like I have a plan to claim like a 1/3 of town fence it off call it Alexandria get my friends as gaurds and make some post for people to trade. with my friends on the roofs to protect against walkers and players that break my law
it would still be a PVP area but with me and my friends enforcing the rules my rules
until SHTF(shit hits the fan)and we all die because the fence breaks down ;)
(it always does)