• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Named Zombies (Mini Bosses)

Thread starter #1

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
After reading the thread for varied zombies such as a fireman zombie or a Police Officer zombie I wanted to think of some diffrent zombies that could be named as well. I had also heard that the dev's were interested in adding to the backround of the island before the undead outbreak so I thought it would be interesting to have some zombies that are a bit diffrent then the zombies discussed in the previous thread. My thought was that in the areas you might find the zombies you could find notes or various other things that might have belonged to the zombie before they turned. These items could give you a picture about what was happening just before the outbreak and maybe right as it happened. My largest concern about having strong named zombies is that it's a bit realism degrading, but there is the point were gameplay trumps realism. Since there is a big chance that loot respawns in certain areas or on a server restart that degrades realism as well.

Lee Brown
"A massive man working as a lumberjack before the outbreak for a local logging company. A tree cutter Lee Brown was able to use a large two man chainsaw by himself with ease. Due to a accident early in his career Brown had a titanium plate fastened to his skull. One of the first bitten at the camp when saving a fellow logger the tall man began to unknowingly turn. Preparing to defend the camp Lee grabbed his custom saw and safety gear consisting of a heavy safety helmet and a full set of kevlar outer ware. As the last living logger in the camp fell Lee Brown turned."

This zombie would be a very physically strong undead and would be very durable due to it's safety clothing which have been covered in blood and gore, and the metal plate in the zombies head. He would have a very large chainsaw that he would use to strike out with, and he would have a random chance to activate the saw increasing the damage dealt. He would only spawn near the most valuable loot spawns in the forests, or in a logging area if they add one.

The Wharf Man
"A strange man with a Innsmouth look that kept to himself in his small sea side shack and made a living catching fish and selling them at the local market. Always seen wearing his yellow smock and hat and carrying a meat hook not many knew the mans name. Believed to have been one of the first to have turned the old loner suddenly appeared one night during a rain storm and attacked a local police officer then disappearing in the ensuing panic."

This zombie would be physically weak and wouldn't be very tough due to spending most of it's time near the water but would be equipped with a hand held meat hook. He would only appear at dusk, night or dawn during a storm which I am hoping could make him a good stealth enemy. It would be pretty creepy to see a blood covered yellow smock pass by your window while held up for the night. You might forget about him while defending against the faster more aggressive horde attack leaving you open for a 80's slasher style attack.

Bud
"A avid hunter and military enthusiast Bud loved his guns and hunting equipment and kept everything in pristine condition. Living nearby for the availability of game Bud lived alone in his Cabin and made a living as a hunting guide. On a hunting trip with several men during the initial outbreak the group missed the news about the undead. Returning at night the group was beset by a large group of the undead, low on ammo from the trip the group was quickly taken down one by one. The last to go swinging his broken rifle like a club and clad in a home made ghillie suit Bud had gone on his last hunt as part of the land of the living."

This is a normal zombie stat wise but would be heavily camouflaged he would appear at night and day but would be more frequent at night. He would be found in wilderness areas and around cabin's and other wilderness building's, he could have hunting item drop's. He would be a interesting DayZ easter egg if anyone remembers any sasquatch encounters lol, it might be pretty freaky to have a really hard to see zombie come at you at night.

Felix
"A construction worker before the outbreak Felix worked as a foreman on the construction of a large industrial complex. When the dead began to rise and consume his workers the foreman grabbed the companies diamond bladed chainsaw and donned a heavy duty welding helmet and gear including a heavy leather apron and jacket. Killing as many of the undead before succumbing to a bite on the back of his leg Felix managed to secure the gates to the site keeping any more undead from entering."

This undead would be found around large industrial site's and would be covered in heavy leather and would swing around it's diamond tipped chainsaw as a weapon similar to Lee. He would spawn at any time of day and could carry rare tools for loot.

Well those are the suggestions I have come up with so far, not all of them are stronger then the average zombie but I think I came up with some zombies that would make good unique mini boss type enemies. On the really strong weapons that Brown and Felix use, so far my thoughts on obtaining them are centered around them breaking once the zombie dies. I wouldn't want players to get something like a diamond bladed concrete saw easilly and a single person wouldn't be able to use Lee Browns saw by themselves. So what do you guys think about the diffrent zombies, if you guys have any suggestions for them or ideas for named zombies of your own feel free to toss them in.

Davz Not Here

Backer
on the point about 'varied zombies'
sure and i can see how, for instance, if a cop were turned and was wearing his/her protective vest, they would be harder to kill ..... this sort of thing makes sense in the right context, context is paramount.

on the point of 'bosses, named mini boss mobs, etc.' ..... i dunno about that, just seems cliche ..... like yelling 'play freebird' at the local bar band (no offense meant)

Thread starter #3

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
Mini bosses or named zombies are a bit cliche but but who doesn't love cliche deep down, that sese of nostolgia lol. Even if they were named I wouldn't wan't the names to be evident, the only way I would want the names to be found would be searching through certain certain building's and finding random documents or pictures. For example the hunter zombie, maybe you could find a remote cabin on some part of the island with a picture of a few hunters and one or all of them could be in ghillie suit's. Maybe for the Wharf zombie you could find a old shack next to a lighthouse with a journal or similar object.

They don't even have to have names I was just giving them a name and a small backstory to explain some of the things that they had. Lumberjacks use a lot of protective gear so if they had a logging area they could have zombies with a lot more protection, they useally only show logger type zombies in games with flannel and maybe a hat when they actually use probably more kevlar then the police. It also be interesting to see one carrying a chainsaw it doesn't have to activate it would hurt enough just to get struck by one. They also may not want to add ghillie type camp but a lot of avid hunters use similar equipment so I think it would be cool to have a heavily camouflaged zombie.

Another reason I gave them names was because these types of zombies would be a lot rarer then a police zombie or similar varied zombies and I thought it would be cool to find some info about the island.

Also......ehem........FreeBird!

Davz Not Here

Backer
i see where you are going ..... not sure i have been convinced to agree ..... but sure ..... we'll play freebird ..... /sigh ..... 1 ..... 2..... 3..... 4

Thread starter #6

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
I don't really see how it doesn't most zombie movies the charecters will encounter a known person that has been turned into a zombie I just went a step further by coming up with plausible reasons why they would have a weapon or armor. In most of the old zombie movies you see zombies use tool's, if I remember the first zombie in Night of the Dead uses a rock to get at a women in a car and near the end I think the little girl turned into a zombie and stabbed one of her parents with a hand spade. There is also the zombie in Day of the Dead that relearns how to use a pistol.

I was just messing around with an idea though like I said before these could have their names and just have them as rare varied zombies, I was just messing around with the idea of back story's for certain zombies. I always said that I felt that mini bosses were unreallistic for a survival game. I remember you talking about how the dev's wanted to add some notes around the map to talk about the islands back story, are they still thinking about it.

I'll probably just have it merged with another zombie thread if there is one for varied zombies if not then I'll probably just change the name and take out the back stories and names and go more in depth on the gear/weapon the zombies would be equiped with. The names and stories really don't matter I would just like to see camo/ghillie zombies and heavilly armored lumberjack zombies.

Last edited:

MrMoose

Real talk
Backer
Sounds kinda hokey

Thread starter #8

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
Like I said b4 I thought it was a bit when I first posted it and I have no problem with taking out the names and back stories and inserting hunter zombie and fisherman zombie as the names and just going more in depth about what the zombie would have gear and loot wise. If the apocalypse happened recently it would make sense to see infected people wearing their work clothes and holding their work related gear like others have suggested.

I was just bored so I wrote some backstories when I saw a thread about easter eggs and about hearing that the devs wanted to have random bit's of information about the islands backstory and what was happening before the zombie outbreak.

MrMoose

Real talk
Backer
Like I said b4 I thought it was a bit when I first posted it and I have no problem with taking out the names and back stories and inserting hunter zombie and fisherman zombie as the names and just going more in depth about what the zombie would have gear and loot wise. If the apocalypse happened recently it would make sense to see infected people wearing their work clothes and holding their work related gear like others have suggested.

I was just bored so I wrote some backstories when I saw a thread about easter eggs and about hearing that the devs wanted to have random bit's of information about the islands backstory and what was happening before the zombie outbreak.
Ya I getcha, a bit of STN 'lore' would be pretty cool.

Davz Not Here

Backer
BlackWater is right about one thing ..... every zombie movie has a hero seeing someone they know as a walker ..... so taking that part of the idea alone

you know what would be an interesting take on this idea ..... have game models of real life people (name tags and all) for the backers. You could offer backers the chance to have photos of friends, family, etc. turned into concept art, then modeled and named (i would presume no last names without written /digital sign. consent ..... or none at all)

hell ..... not that i want to pay more money for anything these days, but the devs could even use this as a mini-fund raiser ...... pay $5/per (or w/e) and get friends and loved ones turned into named zombie .....
in game you add diaries, pictures, etc with some made up OR real back ground info and now you have a some what player created back story and population

buyers could also be asked to fill in some basic details which would give game story devs some tid-bits on which to build .....