• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

New Player guide

Thread starter #1

cladriah

Survivor
Backer
Hello, since this game will be vastly different from other games. I think players should get in their bags an item called Zombie Survival handbook.

The book is 3-5 pages long. In hand writing it explains helpful tips like.
"Conserve ammo, engage zombies when needed. You can't mow them down like in video games." (lol)
"Stealth is your friend."
"Stay in groups, and beware of nights."

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
I'm not sure that I've seen this suggested but I like it! It might also provide enough real estate to put some bits of lore along the sides of the pages, or some random "day 43..." sayings and things like that.

I would imagine something like this would be far easier, and certainly less time consuming, to create than a playable tutorial.

Thread starter #3

cladriah

Survivor
Backer
I'm not sure that I've seen this suggested but I like it! It might also provide enough real estate to put some bits of lore along the sides of the pages, or some random "day 43..." sayings and things like that.

I would imagine something like this would be far easier, and certainly less time consuming, to create than a playable tutorial.
Yeah. I think it should be found in a bag by a dead npc survivor. With a quick UI tutorial that says press e to loot. Then press I to open inventory. Click on Book to read. Along with a few helpful items with it.

edit:

I have a few more ideas. The items inside will be enough to last a few days. Flashblight battery, a map, a few snacks and a three use drink.

And to solve the issue of spawning right by the zombie. There could be spawn zones that are marked that will only spawn you if a zombie isn't nearby (Within aggro range) Also once spawned a five minute timer starts that prevents zombies to spawn within aggro range.

It will be on a fixed location so once you move out of it. Safety gone, also gives new players a chance to read the guide unharassed.

edit 2: So i was hit by an another idea. to further this. After reading the book. Let's just say they flip through it. Requires the player to hit next. till the end. They have another UI to equip the flashlight. Then when you equip it. The dead guy turns into a zombie. UI pops up showing how to kill a zombie. The zombie is scripted to be killed in two hits and doesn't scream. Just hits you once or twice.
Then you are prompted to go into your stats and it shows the Stats and tells you to use a bandage.

It's a short tutorial that covers UI, looting, using items, and combat. With a guidebook that new players can look back to when they need help.

edit 3: The last part is a bloody page saying "I was a fool, I ignored the guide and thought I could kill zombies like I did in video games. I was wrong."

Last edited:

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
+1
I've had the same idea... you could have 2 versions or at least a choice... one to look more like bonafied government instruction book maybe handed out to authorities and another design could be like a Zombie Killing for Dummies scrapbook made by a survivor.

Not too fond of the items that come "with it" tbh... unless the dead had stuff on him ofc.

Thread starter #5

cladriah

Survivor
Backer
+1
I've had the same idea... you could have 2 versions or at least a choice... one to look more like bonafied government instruction book maybe handed out to authorities and another design could be like a Zombie Killing for Dummies scrapbook made by a survivor.

Not too fond of the items that come "with it" tbh... unless the dead had stuff on him ofc.
the dead is carrying a backpack that has the items.