@buenavides1 . Welcome! I've been playing since the first stress tests, and still die all the time!
In my limited experience, the most important things are:
1) Find a low ping server in the browser screen, and don't join unless it's in starting daylight hours (about 06:00 works for me)
2) Find somewhere to hide if you're out at night, in the open - on top of a rock, in a building - bathrooms work best for me. "Crouch and cower".
3) Make as little noise as possible, be it day or night!
4) Pick up everything, you can always drop it.
5) Learn the map so you know where you've spawned. Having a map (at bus stops and petrol stations) and a compass really helps.
6) A gun and melee weapon will help you survive longer (no-brainer there).
7) Find a can-opener, and guard it with your life.
8) Don't worry too much about drinking dirty water, staying hydrated is more important