• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Nights are too dark inside buildings

Thread starter #1

Nightwalker

Backer
Yes I know that in real life you wouldnt be able to see where you are going in a building at night time, but when you are playing a game. Esspecially one in which there will be AI enemies with no indication of how dark or bright it is and pvp combat. The player should be able to see where he is going not just pitch black with vague outlines of doors in a building. STNStressTestV2 4-19-2016 5-05-07 PM-892.png STNStressTestV2 4-19-2016 5-05-21 PM-591.png

Bcaskey04

Mr. Nice guy
Backer
I personally enjoy the darkness, i feel that if you wanted to see well you would need a fire or flash light. It just adds to the importance of boarding up a house so that you can safely be in a lit environment. In reality it would be pitch black inside a building and the only thing that would naturally give of light at night would be the moon and stars. I think they hit the darkness right on the nose. I was frantically trying to find wood to make a fire so that i wouldn't be in the dark. It adds urgency. I'm up for a discussion though lol :D

Thread starter #3

Nightwalker

Backer
I can only just see it being a problem since you have to worry about zombies that are not affected by how bright it is. It will honestly only leave me to just afk through the night.

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
Keep in mind this is a very early test build of the game, but with that being said I think the level of darkness during night should remain the same. Once making firewood is fixed in the current build darkness won't be as big of an issue. PLUS, some time in the future Devs will be playing around with electricity, allowing us to connect generators and what not to homes and buildings.

Also, night time is intended to be threatening. ;)

WiseManNero

A fire breathn' muthertf***ing dragon
Backer
i don't know about you guys but from sitting in a dark room all day (did i mention i was a bartender) i have excellent night vision i think this would be a great way to balance this issue giving your character's eyes time to adjust in game and even giving the character the ability to develop their night vision or become night blind depending on how much time they spend in darkness so as to encourage people to take a bit of risk (this statement really deserves it own thread i suppose)

edit: also there should be a cap on it so people can't develop it to the point where they can see in the dark as clearly as they can during the day

FinWinkle

Survivor
Backer
I'm on the fence with this, I do like the "pitch darkness" IF inside a building with no windows like a basement BUT...on a moonlit night some light should leak through even a boarded up window since the boards are most likely older and would not butt up against each other perfectly. I got stuck in one of the cabins on a side of hill and couldn't find the F'n door! lol :)

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
The level of darkness is spot on, the lighting is spot on and yet Ambient Occlusion is not in yet (I may be wrong), as soon as it is STN will start to get that look that you are thinking of... it's still early.