• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Non Lethal Options

Thread starter #1

gamejunkie25th

Backer
What if I DONT want to kill someone... Easy answers.

BB Guns: Hurt like a bitch but wont kill... Maybe they can cripple limbs and cause staggering but not do damage

Smoke Grenades: Can be thrown at the enemy to blind for a long time... WARNING: They can still shoot at you

"Flashbang": Can be thrown to blind enemy for a short time.... When blinded there will be a loud ringing and you will drop your gun

Flare Gun: Fire it at an enemy... Causes burns, medium dmg and you may lose sight, drop your gun or drop to the ground based on where hit...

Gas Grenade: Causes coughing and an extreme loss of accuracy while under its medium length affect

Rope: To tie up intruders (or your friends)... The person must find a knife and use it to cut themselves free... If your captors don't take the knife in your inventory you can cut yourself free after 2 mins...

Chains: Works the same as rope but you need a padlock to lock it... Also can only be freed by someone with the code or with bolt cutters...

Handcuffs: Can only be freed by the key or bolt cutters... High chance to break bolt cutters on use...

nlduncan

MLGprosurvivor
Backer
flash and smoke grenades are slightly on the line of military, since you usually wont find flashbangs in a police armory. and the devs don't want anything military. everything else is a pretty good idea though

Moderator #4

Lord Goose

One does not simply hunt.
Community Mod
Backer
flash and smoke grenades are slightly on the line of military, since you usually wont find flashbangs in a police armory. and the devs don't want anything military. everything else is a pretty good idea though
You can actually find "cheap" smoke grenades at Paintball / Airsoft Centres!

Tally Ho!

Baby Blender

big man
Backer
Decent-ish ideas, but I don't think you are putting yourself very clearly in the developers shoes in what they can and cannot do at the moment. Creating a working smoke grenade that wouldn't have smoke that clips through walls, the dispersing particles, etc would be a project on its own.

To comment on the effectiveness of the weapons. A flare gun is incredibly inaccurate and cannot be used at a preferable distance. It is designed to be launched into the air, not to be shot to hit an exact target. You would have to be at LEAST 8-10 meters away to even attempt to hit the target. And at that point, you would most likely be in the damage radius.

The flash bangs and such are really unnecessary and are very militarized, and unless the island contains an airstrip should be a sub-par impossibility to find.

The BB gun and your idea that it would, quote on quote, "cripple the enemy", is not very accurate. Shooting an enemy with a BB gun is the equivalent of poking a hornets nest with a stick. The person would be immediately be filled with adrenaline and his/her hormones would flare, which would result in complete and utter lack of pain from the point of contact from the BB. So all it would do would anger the target and give away your position.

More realistic renditions of non-lethal weapons that you should have included but replaced with military shenanigans that are so wrong are the following:

-Mace, or 'pepper spray"
-Civilian-grade stunguns
-Civilian-grade stun-sticks
-Construction nail guns
-Slingshots

Regards, Blender

Moderator #6

Lord Goose

Community Mod
Backer
Decent-ish ideas, but I don't think you are putting yourself very clearly in the developers shoes in what they can and cannot do at the moment. Creating a working smoke grenade that wouldn't have smoke that clips through walls, the dispersing particles, etc would be a project on its own.

To comment on the effectiveness of the weapons. A flare gun is incredibly inaccurate and cannot be used at a preferable distance. It is designed to be launched into the air, not to be shot to hit an exact target. You would have to be at LEAST 8-10 meters away to even attempt to hit the target. And at that point, you would most likely be in the damage radius.

The flash bangs and such are really unnecessary and are very militarized, and unless the island contains an airstrip should be a sub-par impossibility to find.

The BB gun and your idea that it would, quote on quote, "cripple the enemy", is not very accurate. Shooting an enemy with a BB gun is the equivalent of poking a hornets nest with a stick. The person would be immediately be filled with adrenaline and his/her hormones would flare, which would result in complete and utter lack of pain from the point of contact from the BB. So all it would do would anger the target and give away your position.

More realistic renditions of non-lethal weapons that you should have included but replaced with military shenanigans that are so wrong are the following:

-Mace, or 'pepper spray"
-Civilian-grade stunguns
-Civilian-grade stun-sticks
-Construction nail guns
-Slingshots

Regards, Blender
What are your thoughts on Rubber Bullets? That's a nice way of not really "hurting" people. Could leave them on the floor / Daze them giving you enough time to get yourself to cover or even make a break for it and get yourself to safety!

Tally Ho!

Baby Blender

big man
Backer
What are your thoughts on Rubber Bullets? That's a nice way of not really "hurting" people. Could leave them on the floor / Daze them giving you enough time to get yourself to cover or even make a break for it and get yourself to safety!

Tally Ho!
I honestly didn't even consider rubber bullets. Or any of the sorts of non-lethal projectiles such as bean-bah shotgun ammo, paintballs, chalk bullets.

I will do some research on where they are commonly found other then on military bases or army surplus stores.

Regards, Blender

Moderator #8

Lord Goose

Community Mod
Backer
I honestly didn't even consider rubber bullets. Or any of the sorts of non-lethal projectiles such as bean-bah shotgun ammo, paintballs, chalk bullets.

I will do some research on where they are commonly found other then on military bases or army surplus stores.

Regards, Blender
Well, would a local police station not have them? (In the US as in the UK We don't use firearms unless the AR are called in :p )

Tally Ho!

Baby Blender

big man
Backer
Quote from Wikipedia:

"Non-lethal weapons may be used by conventional military in a range of missions across the force continuum. They may also be used by military police, by United Nations forces, and by occupation forces forpeacekeeping and stability operations. Non-lethal weapons may also be used to channelize a battlefield, control the movement of civilian populations, or to limit civilian access to restricted areas (as they were utilized by the USMC's 1st Marine Expeditionary Force in Somalia in 1995). When used by police forces domestically, similar weapons, tactics, techniques and procedures are often called "less lethal" or "less than lethal" and are employed in riot control, prisoner control, crowd control, refugee control, and self-defense." (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-lethal_weapon)

I guess if you think about it, United Nations or FEMA would have most likely gotten involved when the outbreak occurred. Mass rioting/looting may have called for the use of non-lethal ammunition, so it could be found off UN/FEMA soldier zombies or bodies at checkpoints/etc.

Moderator #10

Lord Goose

Community Mod
Backer
When used by police forces domestically, similar weapons, tactics, techniques and procedures are often called "less lethal" or "less than lethal" and are employed in riot control, prisoner control, crowd control, refugee control, and self-defense.
You may have missed this? Could also find in local police stations? With a possible security door?

Tally Ho!

Thread starter #11

gamejunkie25th

Backer
All of the other suggestions such as bean bag ammo and mace I have made before these are just new suggestions... Also Smoke grenades can be bought at any Airsoft store... And a flashbang can be made using some resources...

Fallen Angel

Backer
I like the idea of non lethal weapons a lot because...

- roleplaying option for roleplayers
- people don't have to kill others but can still rob you or even force you to give up and join the other group
- most non lethal weapons are easier to get and people would use them more for pvp and lethal weapons for pve against zombies

SmokeDef

Backer
Flare gun:
I like the idea of having a flare gun, not primarily as a weapon but as a signaling tool.
We should be able to use it as a weapon though if needed, highly inaccurate and the ammo should be quite rare.
The flare gun makes sense since we will be playing on islands and where there are islands, there should be a few boats,
which could be a good source for flare guns.​

Smoke grenade:
They are easy to make. Two different chemicals, one of which is sugar, mixed in the right ratio and melted down in a sauce pan at low heat will leave you with a combustible foamy goo which can be filled in empty rolls of toilet paper or empty food cans.
It hardens at room temperature, ignites easily and gives of a lot of smoke when burning.
Add some powdered dye to the mixed chemicals and you get some fancy colored smoke.
Add some chilli powder and you get tear gas.​

Bhikshu

Backer
Rope: To tie up intruders (or your friends)... The person must find a knife and use it to cut themselves free... If your captors don't take the knife in your inventory you can cut yourself free after 2 mins...

Chains: Works the same as rope but you need a padlock to lock it... Also can only be freed by someone with the code or with bolt cutters...

Handcuffs: Can only be freed by the key or bolt cutters... High chance to break bolt cutters on use...
I am 100% against this! being that is only PVP and very much DayZ. I can not think of a common reason you would want to tie up other player without F***ing them over. Seriously play DayZ for that s**t....

Other wise I like the ideal of being able to tie thing together, maybe make a zombie pet (27 days later) You could use it as a warding device, or maybe that zombie would attract other zombies and you could set a trap. (lol tie two zombies together and have them clothes hang other zombies)

As for smoke grenades and such, fireworks would be awesome! Non-military same basic function. Plus fire crackers could be used as a distraction.

Last edited by a moderator:

Boone

Zombie Fanatic
Backer
I am 100% against this! being that is only PVP and very much DayZ. I can not think of a common reason you would want to tie up other player without F***ing them over. Seriously play DayZ for that s**t....

Other wise I like the ideal of being able to tie thing together, maybe make a zombie pet (27 days later) You could use it as a warding device, or maybe that zombie would attract other zombies and you could set a trap. (lol tie two zombies together and have them clothes hang other zombies)

As for smoke grenades and such, fireworks would be awesome! Non-military same basic function. Plus fire crackers could be used as a distraction.

I love the end bit about the Fire Crackers, they are loud, cheap and not heavy and could easily be found by anyone, I think as a distraction they are great, if you are escaping a zombie horde or wanting to attract some bambinos to your location.

Last edited by a moderator:
Banned #17

kdc0nnvict

[S.S.]
Backer
actually some police forces have access to flash bangs and such for breaching high threat buildings

CenobyteFox

Backer
what about paintball guns? nonlethal, but really smart when they hit you! (i know this from personal experience :p )