• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Nutrition and Hydration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Staff #1

a2z(Interactive);

Developer
Developer
As mentioned in the Friday update - below are some guidlines and empty templates. You can find the current statistics here and tweak them as you see fit :) Let's find a really nice balance here and make eating/drinking a decent mechanic and not a redundant task. These are the consumables you'll be finding in the alpha build:

A hand full of guidelines -
  • 24 hour required calories at their base are 2000. A player that maintains a healthy calorie intake can build a higher daily requirement. This will result in better overall health and the player isn't required to eat as often among other benefits.
  • Keep in mind that boxed and canned foods will be rather common so following real world calorie counts isn't ideal for a game situation.
  • Fresh meats will be hard to come by but should have a very decent reward so they hold their value.
  • Should sugary products provide small bursts of stamina?
  • Salty or dry products should dehydrate the player.
  • Water/liquid intake is based on a 0-100 scale - 100 required per 24 hours. This will eventually be affected by your condition such as running or weight but for now it's a slow drain. We'd like to keep the need for water realistic but as with the food, it shouldn't be a total pain and over saturate the gameplay.
  • Sickness chance 0-10 where 0 = no chance and 10 = sickness is certain.
  • Ignore N/A in serving sizes most boxed are 4 most cookable boxed are 1.
  • Calories should be based on servings.
  • Cooked products return a saucepan of cooked product and it's one serving so all calories at once.
  • Canned products can be warmed right in their tins on a stove or over a fire.
  • Warmed foods should produce a positive mental effect.

Last edited by a moderator:

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
All that grub mmmm... :)

I'd honestly like it to be so we are not literately losing health and dying of thirst within 1 day, even after doing manual labour all day like many other titles... but guess we'll have to test that shit too de death!

Æon Flux

Twiddling thumbs in a bunker somewhere.
Backer
Sugar in real life doesn't actually make you any hyperactive than normal. That is just a myth propagated by parents. So I don't think a stamina boost is necessary.

Sugar should however give a positive mental health boost.

Caffeinated products should give some effects similar to a stamina boost though.

JB_

Developer
Developer
Sugar in real life doesn't actually make you any hyperactive than normal. That is just a myth propagated by parents. So I don't think a stamina boost is necessary.

Sugar should however give a positive mental health boost.

Caffeinated products should give some effects similar to a stamina boost though.
Nice! I like this a lot :)

FranticExpert

Backer
Hey I'm very new around here but i noticed this post after taking the kiddos to school. Took a few minutes and messed around with your idea's. Any Comments, Questions, or Concerns are welcomed ;)

HNFemSG-STNBoxFD1.png
UOa9Ss5-STNDryFD1.png
QDVlKoT-STNCnFD1.png
gXyKVU9-STNRawMT1.png
vZfv9eE-STNCldD1.png

Last edited:

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
So should sugar have a higher risk of making you sick (i.e diabetic) if you intake high quantities of it for a prolonged period?

Edit: And I think all of the food that's not preserved securley like canned good should have a baseline for the sickness chance...

Last edited:

topatohead

Backer
I love survival games and the Long Dark is one of my favorites. However I find the nutrition system in that game to be the most frustrating aspect of the game. It may have been tuned since the last time I played but I find it so ridiculous that I have to eat multiple steaks a day to survive. I love the idea of the 2000 calorie diet and you need to eat that per day to maximize your efficiency or what have you. I think this is a great solution to a often broken nutrition system which usually results in you scarfing food down as soon as you get it because the "hunger meter" is dropping faster than I can run to the next loot stash.

Taking care of yourself, eating enough food, and getting enough water should offer better overall health like you guys have posted above. I think these are fantastic ideas. I agree with wanting to keep the intake realistic but in the end it's still a video game. And no one wants to be constantly searching for food/water instead of playing the game.

Looks great, gang. Keep up the good work. Can't wait to play it.

FranticExpert

Backer
So should sugar have a higher risk of making you sick (i.e diabetic) if you intake high quantities of it for a prolonged period?

Edit: And I think all of the food that's not preserved securley like canned good should have a baseline 1 for sickness...
Yeah i've been thinking about that but really when has year old Corn Flakes ever made anyone sick? lol. Seriously though it is something to really think about...

Hauger

Community Mod
Backer
Okay, so here goes, I'm in no way a nutritional expert, but I do know a little about wild life diseases. Many animals have glands, these should be removed before cooking, it will tast a lot better. This can be something the player gradually learns when cooking the same thing over and over.

Also, there are so many diseases that wildlife can have, so I would say that Rat, Cat and Opossum meat should have the highest chance of infection of those listed. I would also like to see a risk increase if the meat has been left unattended. Did you kill that cat two days ago? Has it been salted/smoked/refrigerated? All this should increase/decrease the chance of infection, and ofc proper cooking would decrease it even more.

Say that a fresh killed cat, uncooked would be a 8 risk of infection. Not properly cooked 5, properly cooked 0. If the Cat has been salted/smoked/refrigerated it will keep it's "fresh" stats for a max of 4-5 days? If it is cooked when the meat is spoiled it will need more cooking, to the limit of burnt to insure no infection. But the calorie intake would also go down the more it is cooked after the "Cooked" state.

Last edited:

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
Yeah i've been thinking about that but really when has year old Corn Flakes ever made anyone sick? lol. Seriously though it is something to really think about...
Maybe not the corn flakes but soft drinks would still contain quite a bit for weeks/months maybe years :p

That's unless the lemonade is made from fresh juices and not imitated from flavorings etc like I am thinking of?

Last edited:

FranticExpert

Backer
Maybe not the corn flakes but soft drinks would still contain quite a bit for weeks/months maybe years :p

That's unless the lemonade is made from fresh juices and not imitated from flavorings etc like I am thinking of?
Such a valid point, i just haven't made it to that part of the items yet. But yeah i can see how drinking an old soda, or eating an uncooked can that's been setting around 'for who knows how long' could make a man sick.

Hauger

Community Mod
Backer
Rabbit, Squirrel and Venison meat should be on the "safer" end of the scale when it comes to infection, since they primarily eat vegetation. Chicken meat in the middle, then Cat, Rat and Opossum on the high risk end of the scale.

Last edited:

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
Any form of mental boost for finding a useful toy/item in the cereal.. like a whistle/spoon/noisy toy etc?

I know it's kinda pointless, but I had too ask.

JB_

Developer
Developer

DrUmMiSt

Bug Squisher Extraordinaire
Backer
Hey I'm very new around here but i noticed this post after taking the kiddos to school. Took a few minutes and messed around with your idea's. This is just the Boxed stuff. Any Comments, Questions, or Concerns are welcomed ;)

View attachment 2086
View attachment 2087
Great start fella but I'd like to mention that recommended intake per day is 2000 (rising after certain conditions/experience/life length) so if using your highest calorie item of 10 - you would need to eat 200 a day just to keep up and I don't think that would be possible to find in a STN 'day'

FranticExpert

Backer
Great start fella but I'd like to mention that recommended intake per day is 2000 (rising after certain conditions/experience/life length) so if using your highest calorie item of 10 - you would need to eat 200 a day just to keep up and I don't think that would be possible to find in a STN 'day'
Very Very true, what i threw together is very simple yes, but my thoughts are that you take the cereal combined with the dry milk an a lil water and BOOM! you'd add the combined calorie count for both the cereal and milk then double that which would be 12, then double that to 24. So each box and dry milk would equal to around a 100 calories. So you'd much rather prepar meals than eat simple ingredients... IDK just a thought, I do admit i didn't put much thought into it, jus layin a base line to work from :) lol

Nate Dog

Proud Backer, WRD Founder
Backer
Very Very true, what i threw together is very simple yes, but my thoughts are that you take the cereal combined with the dry milk an a lil water and BOOM! you'd add the combined calorie count for both the cereal and milk then double that which would be 12, then double that to 24. So each box and dry milk would equal to around a 100 calories. So you'd much rather prepar meals than eat simple ingredients... IDK just a thought, I do admit i didn't put much thought into it, jus layin a base line to work from :) lol
Genius idea! Encourage meal preparation rather then find and eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.