• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Nutrition and Hydration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xemhil

Backer
Looked up some of the cans calories contents, that I have found randomly over the internet. I can agree that the amount of calories in some of the cans are chocking. I don't know how many calories you want each can to have. But I just want to try to help :3

Canned cat food (Beef & Liver)
Calories from 5,5 ounces (171 calories)
From 1lb about 480 calories.

Brown beans (534 calories) per lb.

Chopped tomatoes (83 calories) per lb.

Baked beans (357 calories) per lb.

Pineapple slices (300 calories) per lb.

Canned Salmon (652 calories) per lb.

Sardines (937 calories) per lb.

ld-airgrafix

Survivor
Backer
Its a survival game, not a fitness game, i doubt someone would say no to a fatty steak, or an apple in a world where food is no longer available in shops.
But my concern is more about loot spawn, something that is very hard to balance especially in a multiplayer game. Is it possible to script a code that controls a number of items spawning per player. So more players on server, more food/items spawns and if few players are playing, barely any items spawn?

Ackrynom

Backer
As mentioned there will be meats. I hope we will have a rack/cold room to house meats for awhile, up to 1 or 2 weeks maybe? (Hopefully). As for salty foods, you should have to take quite a bit of salty foods for it to start making you dehydrated.

Ackrynom

Backer
Its a survival game, not a fitness game, i doubt someone would say no to a fatty steak, or an apple in a world where food is no longer available in shops.
But my concern is more about loot spawn, something that is very hard to balance especially in a multiplayer game. Is it possible to script a code that controls a number of items spawning per player. So more players on server, more food/items spawns and if few players are playing, barely any items spawn?
Don't mean to come off rude, but that is a terrible idea. If it was toggleable by server admins then I could see it fine. But I would not like to be playing on a small server and not be able to find a ton of loot.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.

AerynSuun

USA
Backer
In real life you can go 3-4 days without water, about 3 weeks without food and need about 2,361 Calories/day to maintain your weight. Looking forward to read the community input on this.

Some games are getting to the point of pointing out protein, vegetables, starch and fruits portions.

Is it to be assumed 2000 is the maintain a healthy physical state, what happens when you do not meet the requirement for a couple of in-game days, lower stamina, more in-game day easy to get sick too?

Last edited:

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
Is it to be assumed 2000 is the maintain a healthy physical state, what happens when you do not meet the requirement for a couple of in-game days, lower stamina, more in-game day easy to get sick too?
I imagine it would be something like that, lowering the limit on your physical peak that can be reached until you start to maintain a health diet again ... remember kids, an apple a day keeps the zombies away :D

Kirill

Backer
What about energetic drinks and high-calorie snacks?
Also, as it was mentioned before, caffeine drinks increase your blood pressure, so you can actually bleed out faster (just a liiittle faster)?
Also, how will starvation/dehydration work?

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
In real life you can go 3-4 days without water, about 3 weeks without food and need about 2,361 Calories/day to maintain your weight. Looking forward to read the community input on this.

Some games are getting to the point of pointing out protein, vegetables, starch and fruits portions.

Yeah like @Num47 replied, the effects of not maintaining whatever calorie requirement for your character is will most likely be along the lines of lower stamina levels, more prone to getting sick, reduced max health, reduced carrying capacity, less melee damage, there's a lot that could be done really.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
Yeah like @Num47 replied, the effects of not maintaining whatever calorie requirement for your character is will most likely be along the lines of lower stamina levels, more prone to getting sick, reduced max health, reduced carrying capacity, less melee damage, there's a lot that could be done really.
Hopefully it'll be at the sweet spot where a day or so are when the effects would start to show... I'm guessing the player character is going to-be more resistant to some degree to the harsh life because they have survived so far doing okay.

So in a sense the calories, energy etc would last as long or drop at a slower rate as they usual would... wouldn't they?

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
I can survive off of 500 calories a day in real life, I'm a survivor.
Maybe so, but there's a limit to how much you can do on 500 calories. Look at the people that do strongman competitions (or just heavy weight lifting in general). They eat anywhere from 4,000-10,000+ calories a day because the training for that really requires it.

FallenEmber

Backer
Instead of a "points" system like so many other games have slipped into (where you level up and apply points on doing more melee damage) I'd like to see your physical abilities be based on your average 3 to 7 day calorie intake.

For instance a player with a 2,000 daily will chop trees using less swings, punch harder, stab harder, run faster and longer than a player with a 500 daily.

I think that'd be badass, and mostly because I'm tired of the skill tree/points system.

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
Instead of a "points" system like so many other games have slipped into (where you level up and apply points on doing more melee damage) I'd like to see your physical abilities be based on your average 3 to 7 day calorie intake.

For instance a player with a 2,000 daily will chop trees using less swings, punch harder, stab harder, run faster and longer than a player with a 500 daily.

I think that'd be badass, and mostly because I'm tired of the skill tree/points system.
"Leveling" in STN will be old-school style. No points to distribute, you get better at things by doing them repeatedly. Just as you would in real life, practice makes perfect. :D

GameOverMan

Survivor
Backer
All that grub mmmm... :)

I'd honestly like it to be so we are not literately losing health and dying of thirst within 1 day, even after doing manual labour all day like many other titles... but guess we'll have to test that shit too de death!

you gave a great idea!!

Grubs! Can we dig for bugs? They give protein! :eek:

Humanoid

Nerd
Backer
Maybe so, but there's a limit to how much you can do on 500 calories. Look at the people that do strongman competitions (or just heavy weight lifting in general). They eat anywhere from 4,000-10,000+ calories a day because the training for that really requires it.
I'm not a weightlifter though

Status
Not open for further replies.