• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Nutrition and Hydration

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyHoward

Backer
I think a lot of the foods if eaten over an extended period of time should cause sickness because of lack of nutrients in certain amounts of foods. Processed foods do not have a lot of the vitamins and minerals needed on a daily basis. Kinda hard to throw that in a video game but maybe eating the same canned food over a long period of time can affect your mental state and the sickness level because there is no fresh food like meat or fruits and veggies if you include those. Too much sugar should cause sickness as well because the body is not meant to eat large amounts of sugar as it is unhealthy, can cause diabetes and other complications. I know its a game but some kinda penalty would be fun. Blurry vision, decreased accuracy, more weapon sway...something but one snickers bar could help? Same thing with Coffee, it would be a great morale boost and speed boost? Most people LOVE their coffee, and I imagine it would be on short supply, but too much coffee can cause headaches, blurry vision, weapon sway by being jittery, etc...

Water: I do not recall if there is a contaminated water, I know you can heat and cook and clean so I assume at one point there will be a "dirty" or "contaminated" water option? If it is dirty or contaminated it can cause sickness and hydration, or diarrhea, fatigue, vomiting and maybe lose water because you are sick from the dirty water, make it a risk or reward system for not filtering or boiling your water first.

Meats: If they are not cooked, they could contain parasites or disease that cause illness and so and and so forth. I noticed you had raw meat and spoiled meat as options so I'm sure you know what you're doing there.

Calories: Most foods have large amounts of calories, I'm not sure if you're going to follow the food labels as a can of ravioli would give you about a quarter to half of your needed calories right there, I did see the servings being around 4 for can foods so can you eat the can in bits and pieces or just all at once? Maybe if you included unhealthy calories like the evil "Saturated fats" that cause sickness over time. There are the good fats and bad fats with anything and everything, I sorta talked about it up above but most processed foods are bad over an extended period, but this game takes place in the short term. Not sure if you wanted to include consequences for meal choices. Or maybe different benefits to different kinds of foods. Perhaps if you found a lot of food and decided hey I'm going to eat 4000 calories today would that cause some issues regarding over-eating? Not sure how this works out.

Sickness: What is it exactly. 10 being dead or the heaviest penalties being you have to rest or take medication. Would 5 be moderately ill, would each stage of sickness have varying levels of fatigue and symptoms regarding reduced sprint or no sprint, lower carrying capacity because of weakness.

Disease: I know this was not a topic in what you listed but would this go hand in hand with eating raw meats, drinking unfiltered dirty water or allowing your sickness to reach a high level? You would need antibiotics to cure this or you would die. I know you have hospitals and maybe pharmacies?

Lots of possibilities for everything, I like what you have here!

Last edited:

DZS

Mammoth
Backer
So random i was thinking about this yesterday cause i was ultra smelly and having a shower lol. I thought nah it seems a bit too much to add to game, hygiene issues. Realistically anyone running around in a zombie apocalypse is gonna get really dirty and smelly lol. The smell actually comes from bad bacteria which in turn can cause disease and infections. So i suppose it could be a thing in game like needing to clean yourself somehow every now and then. Just felt like its too much and would detract from the main point of the game fortifying buildings.

Moderator #64

DemoCar82

This is it... the apocalypse.
Community Mod
Backer
So random i was thinking about this yesterday cause i was ultra smelly and having a shower lol. I thought nah it seems a bit too much to add to game, hygiene issues. Realistically anyone running around in a zombie apocalypse is gonna get really dirty and smelly lol. The smell actually comes from bad bacteria which in turn can cause disease and infections. So i suppose it could be a thing in game like needing to clean yourself somehow every now and then. Just felt like its too much and would detract from the main point of the game fortifying buildings.
Give this thread a go bud.

https://community.survivethenights.net/threads/personal-hygiene.440/

DZS

Mammoth
Backer
Why does everyone on this forum have to debate anything and everything i post? Might as well post about what i had for breakfast and likely someone would disagree with my choices. Is this forum full of mass-debators lol.

In hindsight, its better to have replies than none at all. Atleast its an active forum.

Last edited:
Moderator #66

DemoCar82

This is it... the apocalypse.
Community Mod
Backer
Why does everyone on this forum have to debate anything and everything i post? Might as well post about what i had for breakfast and likely someone would disagree with my choices. Is this forum full of mass-debators lol.

In hindsight, its better to have replies than none at all. Atleast its an active forum.
If that was directed at me, I was simply trying to point you in the right direction to combine information, keep the forums clean, and threads on topic. This allows the devs to more accurately and fluidly find consolidated information and opinions from the community. I wasn't debating anything you mentioned, several forms of hygiene have been brought up, the link above is merely for your benefit as you can compare and converse on the topic you've brought up. In all honestly, I have thought a couple of your ideas are good myself. Just trying to help.

Sebouzer948

Backer
Can't wait to cook myself a freshly hunted steak !

Who's This Pleb

Future Ophthalmologist
Backer
Well sugars can give you a temporary 'boost' so to speak, but the negative feedback loop controlling your blood sugar will quickly adjust to minimize troughs and peaks like that, assuming the individual is healthy. I'd say it's better to not worry about that.

Overall, there are SO many ways one can go about this with the food system. Combining foods for better gains, certain foods affecting other stats like hydration and stamina, eating poor diets affecting long term health...the list goes on and on. Over time I hope to see this tweaked until the food system becomes very dynamic while not totally dominating one's gameplay.

I can't wait to grill me up some roadkill opossum meat too though hahaha

VV0lf

I think a lot of the foods if eaten over an extended period of time should cause sickness because of lack of nutrients in certain amounts of foods. Processed foods do not have a lot of the vitamins and minerals needed on a daily basis. Kinda hard to throw that in a video game but maybe eating the same canned food over a long period of time can affect your mental state and the sickness level because there is no fresh food like meat or fruits and veggies if you include those. Too much sugar should cause sickness as well because the body is not meant to eat large amounts of sugar as it is unhealthy, can cause diabetes and other complications. I know its a game but some kinda penalty would be fun. Blurry vision, decreased accuracy, more weapon sway...something but one snickers bar could help? Same thing with Coffee, it would be a great morale boost and speed boost? Most people LOVE their coffee, and I imagine it would be on short supply, but too much coffee can cause headaches, blurry vision, weapon sway by being jittery, etc...

Water: I do not recall if there is a contaminated water, I know you can heat and cook and clean so I assume at one point there will be a "dirty" or "contaminated" water option? If it is dirty or contaminated it can cause sickness and hydration, or diarrhea, fatigue, vomiting and maybe lose water because you are sick from the dirty water, make it a risk or reward system for not filtering or boiling your water first.

Meats: If they are not cooked, they could contain parasites or disease that cause illness and so and and so forth. I noticed you had raw meat and spoiled meat as options so I'm sure you know what you're doing there.

Calories: Most foods have large amounts of calories, I'm not sure if you're going to follow the food labels as a can of ravioli would give you about a quarter to half of your needed calories right there, I did see the servings being around 4 for can foods so can you eat the can in bits and pieces or just all at once? Maybe if you included unhealthy calories like the evil "Saturated fats" that cause sickness over time. There are the good fats and bad fats with anything and everything, I sorta talked about it up above but most processed foods are bad over an extended period, but this game takes place in the short term. Not sure if you wanted to include consequences for meal choices. Or maybe different benefits to different kinds of foods. Perhaps if you found a lot of food and decided hey I'm going to eat 4000 calories today would that cause some issues regarding over-eating? Not sure how this works out.

Sickness: What is it exactly. 10 being dead or the heaviest penalties being you have to rest or take medication. Would 5 be moderately ill, would each stage of sickness have varying levels of fatigue and symptoms regarding reduced sprint or no sprint, lower carrying capacity because of weakness.

Disease: I know this was not a topic in what you listed but would this go hand in hand with eating raw meats, drinking unfiltered dirty water or allowing your sickness to reach a high level? You would need antibiotics to cure this or you would die. I know you have hospitals and maybe pharmacies?

Lots of possibilities for everything, I like what you have here!
Im not alone thinking the Calories is a little too overboard. Fighting sickness due from eating uncooked food or dirty water is tough and fun enough << . What you propose i would recommend for a Hardcore setting. For those people who have all day to play a game. Spend 80% of your time eating healthy lol . Though I think it would be neat for a couple of foods that add some benefit . Like your coffee idea (boost your speed but dehydrates ya) also to cook food i think it needs to be a little easier. You dont need a tripod cook to cook food over a fire.

Frosty

Im not alone thinking the Calories is a little too overboard. Fighting sickness due from eating uncooked food or dirty water is tough and fun enough << . What you propose i would recommend for a Hardcore setting. For those people who have all day to play a game. Spend 80% of your time eating healthy lol . Though I think it would be neat for a couple of foods that add some benefit . Like your coffee idea (boost your speed but dehydrates ya) also to cook food i think it needs to be a little easier. You dont need a tripod cook to cook food over a fire.

I agree, going to that extreme regarding calories etc would make this more about eating/drinking perfectly than staying alive. I don't know about everyone else but if it was a zombie apocalypse I wouldn't be looking at the labels any longer. I would be starving and eat what I found or cooked.

Also in regards to a fire, I have cooked many times over a fire without a tripod. Boiled water over the fire in my pan too make coffee, clean water and such. Campfire should be the most basic tool to cook on, need wood, rocks and a way to start a fire.

RaakaKarju

Backer
If you have notice your hydration level isn't go down no matter you eat only up. So i just tested eating crackers nd that stuff and only can food to get hydration level up i manage get overall health +5 and no sickness, that test ended becouse somebody kill me.
So you can avoid sickness but today comes that patch on experimental and that problem go away becouse pills working after that.

Phil_Arrow

Backer
I don't think canned foods should make you sick unless the can is damaged does not make sense to me and i never come across uncooked canned food either.

almighty_hood

Backer
imo, calories should count down like hydration.. and you should start off on a new server with full calories because if you join at night you are basically handicapped for no fault of your own because dumb luck..
the calories can go down faster when running or even when carrying alot of stuff for example to simulate energy expenditure..
that and all calories just disapearing at sun up isnt to realistic imo tbh sorry.

edit
to expand on this, a calories counting down system which is basically the standard for all survival games in some form or another would be more realistic natural and fitting..
1, you could start fresh server with say 1000 calories to hold you over til morning if starting at night.
2, if you go into minus calories you could lose abit of health and carry weight until you have eating enough to regain the lost % of health and carry weight.
3, no1 would cram eat at morning and go the whole day without food till next morning either, as who really mass eats for breakfast then goes without for lunch and dinner until next breakfast time..

i feel this calories system is great dont get me wrong its not that its a bad idea its just how its working right now isnt the most realistic and a2z doesnt have to reinvent the wheel for this type of system its like i said above already part of every survival game as a counting down system which is how real life is anyways.. they could well benefit from the same kind of system for stn.

Last edited:
Everything you ever wanted to know about food composition (and some things you didn't) can be found in this USDA database: https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

It it completely searchable and will give you calorie counts, fluid composition, carbs/protein, etc. Per portion, per can, etc. Your tax dollars at work.

On a personal note, I don't think there should be a difference in sickness rate between uncooked and cooked canned foods. The whole point of canning is to eliminate bacteria in the food and then seal it so it can't get back in. Most canned foods are partially or completely cooked before/during the canning process.

What cooking canned food will do (in some cases) is render the food more digestible, so you get more calories out of it. And of course, it is tastier, so there would be mental benefits.

RaakaKarju

Backer
This moment of game like i sayed before feels you need to eat too much to get your daily calories, in real life if you eat 2 cans of raviolli and couple of sandwich and you have eated enough of that day but in game you need to eat 10 cans of raviolli and who eats that amount food in 1 day probaply nobody.

I like to see in game get litlle closer to real life how much you need to eat so you can survive, now your backpack is full of food or most of day goes to find enough food to get calories.
Then comes to cooking of food so not get sickness, cooking those 10 cans of raviolli in campfire take some 10 min.
If play solo then it comes real issue to get food and cook those and same time try to find stuff to make some house locked and some sort security in it.

Who's This Pleb

Future Ophthalmologist
Backer
Damn son some of the things people come up with are both interesting and wtf at the same time haha

Also cat meat?? Count me in!

M A N

Backer
I'm well aware that the food system isn't final atm, but I feel like the current system punishes you for doing well.

The healthier you get, the more calories you need to take in to stay healthy.
Right now, I need 4000 Calories a day, that basically means my daily routine looks like this:
"Survived the night screen"
Loot & eat all the food you can find, hope it's enough, hope you don't get sickness, if you do, cure it.
At the same time, try and keep hydrated, not a problem if you find enough food without dehydration and a couple of cans.
Oh hey it's night time again.

So at a specific level of Overall Health, if you want to stay at that level, all you do is frantically search for food.
Right now, the process of eating, even if you have everything you need already in your inventory, takes up half a day to play out all the animations.

At the same time, the cooking system feels very unrewarding.
You manage to get everything together for a fire, you have a clean pot, put your food in there and cook it.
The resulting calories are not even close to being worth all that time you invested. The pot than is dirty, to clean it you have to use clean water, which is comparatively hard to get as well and also isn't worth the work.
The most efficient way to get your calories right now is eating Jaffa Cake, Cupcakes, Canned Spinach, Canned Beans and Canned Fruit, cold and uncooked.

Perhaps it's a good idea to make calories for cooked food percentual with a hard cap, eating 10 cans of Ravioli and still have your guy be at the brink of being malnutritioned seems really wrong, although I get the need to not make food a trivial matter.

Regards,
M A N

Status
Not open for further replies.