• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Our Current Progress 3 - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Admin #1

JB_

Developer
Developer
Hello all,

Just a quick update here as we're quite busy working on stabilizing builds. We just wanted to reach out and let everyone know every day we're a step closer. We've just upped the alpha build progress bar on the change log to 97% as we work through some kinks :)

After the last test, not everyone was happy with the nametag issues in game so we’ve now added a player list to the server. You can press tab to view all kinds of information such as who's online, who has survived the most nights, who’s your friend and who isn't. You can also send Steam friend requests, mute them in chat, send them a private Steam message, show their achievements and more. You can set anyone's dot color to red, purple, blue, cyan, yellow or white. This makes them easier to find and follow in the player list and on the server.

We've introduced a new player nametag system also. These new tags are only visible when you look directly at the player unless they're a Steam friend then they'll follow the distance rule set by the server admin.

Player nametags are also dynamic so their transparency fades with the sunlight. You won’t be able to see player nametags in the pitch black darkness.

Here you can see the nametag stays as Jayty is a Steam Friend.
If you've looked at the changelog recently, you'll notice one about UseEffects and Materials. We've altered the way a lot of this works and have some new stuff to show off here. The effects of bullets and other game objects will now be determined by not just the object they encounter but the material on this object. While this may not seem like a big deal, in game it really does make things feel dynamic. A structure can be made up of dozens of different materials so this addition really does bring things to life.

Below you'll find a collection of .gifs that we've created to showcase a few of these new effects. Also we'd like to point out that bullet penetration has been implemented. It's pretty terrifying to be standing in a room made of plaster walls and have someone open fire from either outside or an adjacent room!

We've also been working on the Survive the Nights Wiki. There's still a lot to get done there but we'll continue working on it throughout the development of STN. It should be the main hub for in game information and help. If you have any suggestions or wiki experience, please contact me here on the forums. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Well, that's it for this update. We're hard at it, working through issues and smoothing things out. We'll keep you all as informed as possible. If you have any questions, we're always available here on the forums! As always thanks much for the support!

Rhyveeo

Designer
Backer
Looks promising, can't wait for alpha!

Keep up the good work guys!

Samblues

Backer
Great Stuff, Can only imagine having dust flying in our face from someone with a shotgun outside our plastic walls

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Very impressive... love the disappearing nametags and bullet penetration, does light pass through those holes? (I'm joking, not expecting that...yet :p) keep it up guys, it's gonna be awesome.

Thread starter Admin #7

JB_

Developer
Developer
Very impressive... love the disappearing nametags and bullet penetration, does light pass through those holes? (I'm joking, not expecting that...yet :p) keep it up guys, it's gonna be awesome.
hehe exactly, we've all said the same thing..has to happen.

Octanen

Backer
Looks awesome @Jayty !! Can't wait for it, I love the fact that night time is NIGHT, and not some blue filtered BS ;)
Take the time you guys need to finish working on the kinks, and finalizing the build, for us, even as impatient we are, we know that in the end, it will be a much better game/product.

As for the things regarding nameplates, the initial look, well looks good. Even though personally I hate nameplates in games like these. Makes it more fun, I hope there will be a possiblity to disable them either via menu, or server side.
Also the wiki is a nice touch, and I think us as community members will be more than happy to help out with adding more content to it on the go.

As well as I love the bullet penetration. Mainly since well im a ArmA player to the bone, so yeah, thats nice to see! Love it :D

Anyhow, all in all, everything looks good, can't wait to get my filthy hands on the game and start tinkering, testing and having fun while doing so alone and with my irl buddies.

Keep up the great work guys.

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
Awesome update, I'm digging the nametag system. In some games (and during the pre-alpha testing /duck /flee) nametags at night were a dead giveaway and really broke immersion (although they were really only implemented for cooperative testing purposes so it's understandable). Looking forward to testing bullet pen as well, though hopefully that will attract a lot of unwanted, brain eating attention. :D

RedSteel

Backer
When is it estimated that the alpha will release?

Or the stress test for backers?

Status
Not open for further replies.