• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Our Current Progress 4 - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Admin #1

JB_

Developer
Developer
Hello all,

We’re doing another quick Friday update just to let you know how things are going. We're obviously still stabilizing builds. Optimization is taking focus again and things are starting to smooth out. We've had some decent internal testing and we're working through the kinks. We will definitely let everyone know once things are ready to roll out. We'll post everywhere sometime beforehand once we know for sure that things are ready.

We continue to develop as we 'fix' the project as well. Development doesn't stop as that's simply not how the process works. To give you guys some idea on the scale of a project we're dealing with here, the stress test took around 2 hours to build. With the larger world and greater interactions, the time to create a build has increased to 30 hours. The island is looking pretty amazing for an alpha build and we think you're going have a great time exploring it!

Help with Nutrition -

I’ve spent a bit of time working on the wiki this week also. We'd like to have this up to snuff for you guys on backer release so there's a decent place for you to gather info. We'd like to offer you guys the chance to help us with a few starting aspects. Below you'll find a link to a dedicated thread. If you're interested, you'll find a wiki table in that thread. I’ve removed the stats for calories, hydration, sickness chance and stamina and would like you guys to give balancing the stats a whirl.

A handful of guidelines -
  • 24 hour required calories at their base are 2000. A player that maintains a healthy calorie intake can build a higher daily requirement. This will result in better overall health and the player isn't required to eat as often among other benefits.
  • Boxed and canned foods will be rather common so following real world calorie counts isn't ideal for a game situation.
  • Fresh meats will be hard to come by but should have a very decent reward so they hold their value.
  • Should sugary products provide small bursts of stamina?
  • Salty or dry products should dehydrate the player.
  • Water/liquid intake is based on a 0-100 scale. 100 required per 24 hours - this will eventually be affected by your condition such as running, weight etc. but for now it's a slow drain. We'd like to keep the need for water realistic but as with the food, it shouldn't be a total pain and over saturate the gameplay.
  • Sickness chance 0-10 where 0 = No chance and 10=Sickness is certain.
That's about all for guidelines that I can think of at the moment. I'm on the forums or not far away most days and nights so if you have any questions leave them here.

This is the dedicated thread for this little community project here. We'll take a look at all your ideas and suggestions. We’d really love to have a nice balanced nutrition mechanic in for backer release. Our systems have been designed to make all of these changes and tweaks super easy and quick so have at it! :)

By complete coincidence - We've been working on customization a bit and in the next update we'll include a bit more information on how you'll be able to help with it. @André Kats started working on masks during his free minutes and his first concept is this.

I think it freaked him out a bit when I told him today was Friday the 13th :p

As always, thanks for the amazing support here on the forums and everywhere else! We'll see you all on a server shortly!​

Davidbc

Survivor
Backer
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Stalkker

Backer
Wow became a backer back in dec 2015 and thought i would check out the progress you guys are doing amazing stuff just need to sort out my backer badge now keep up the good work guys.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Much thanks for the update and another tease about customization, you sly dogs you :D

I only hope that mask doesn't give the wrong impression thou, a smiley face would fix that... maybe :p

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
That's quite a bit of food variety already! Can't wait to see foods expanded upon in future content, especially the crafting side of things (combining a variety of canned goods and meats for some really hearty stews and what not). Keep up the great work!

Rhyveeo

Designer
Backer
Oh yeah survive the nights, wwaaaaa. ok i'll kill myself.

Hauger

Community Mod
Backer
This is awesome! I keep checking the progress bar, just waiting for those 3% remaining!

Syphorous

Backer
I just pre-ordered. I am super excited for this can't wait to get in game and check it out. To much untapped potential in the genre.
This has a good chance of filling the void.

Bodine Antrobus

Backer
To answer the question - Yes. I do believe sugary stuff should give you a temporary stamina boost. Like for example if your stamina bar is already full, chug a can of soda and your stamina increases by 10% temporarily. Helps you get out of rough situations temporarily - Or perhaps carry slightly more for a bit. Or your stamina bar regenerates quicker.

But as with everything, it has a trade off - Your player might get slightly more exhausted easier after the sugar affects wear off. Like a sugar crash.

Same with caffeinated drinks at night time.

If you get caught out by the sunset and your character is tired from carting around a full back pack of loot, having a can of soda could be the difference between life and death and help you get home in one peace by giving you that extra energy boost to sprint home.

Bodine Antrobus

Backer
On the flip side of that, consume too much sugar or caffeine and your aim gets shaky and your blood pressure increases causing dizziness and/or fainting so that the sugar/stamina boost cannot be abused.

Bearnch

Grizzly Survivor
Backer
These updates just keep getting better, looking like we might have this in our hands soon!

One thing I'm really curious about is the zombies. I've heard and seen all about the other mechanics, eating, fortification, interactivity etc. but the only glimpse of a zombie I've seen was from one of the concept videos in the house with the shotgun traps.
(also the ones in the compound defence concept but they're far away and you can't really see them in much detail.)

Would there be any chance of an update showcasing the zombies so we can look at their models or a deeper look into their behaviours? Or aren't they complete enough to make an update/showcase on yet?

Looks amazing, keep at it and get this out to the people, A2Z!

Status
Not open for further replies.