• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Our Current Progress 5 - Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stealth

Backer
"We're not talking months here...STN will be in your hands for testing shortly."

Sounds good, but at the same time I will not be holding my breath sorry, I have heard many a comment posted like this over the last 18 or so months, I just hope the wait will be well worth it. ;)

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
The biggest problem will be, to balance the difference between newbies and high skilled characters. If you're a high geared and skilled character, maybe in a clan... and you discover a new started fortification... what would prevent you to break inside this safehouse, fortified with a few planks, nails and a weak lock?
Probably nothing, hopefully the threat of noise attracting zeds is enough, so a "high level/skilled" player would think twice about breaking into a safe-house that probably would not contain anything they have not got/want, as-well as a highly fortified place ... but just because there are a few planks nail'ed up does not mean the inside isn't booby trapped up the yin-yang too.

Now something like this is finally coming along, we have till the end of time to figure stuff out :)

shanmk3

Backer
This what make me stop play 7DTD i hated all those PVP server ... i was in a cave like 30ft in the ground and a guy hear me do some stuff.. This is bullshit .. some of my friend still play this game and told me this is fixed now but i don't care anymore about this game. I want something more realistic.. I want STN! :)

Kalehborn

Backer
This what make me stop play 7DTD i hated all those PVP server ... i was in a cave like 30ft in the ground and a guy hear me do some stuff.. This is bullshit .. some of my friend still play this game and told me this is fixed now but i don't care anymore about this game. I want something more realistic.. I want STN! :)
games like that and empyrion i dont understand why they even do pvp, its far from balanced for that.

Sneakydude

Survivor
Backer
I like the idea but how could we pull something like that? Could be based on leveling system, shoot more = get better type of thing maybe?
NO... don't you dare go that route, the soft caps will ruin the fun for everyone.

The reasons why soft caps wont work, it will be impossible to gear up, die then restart the soft cap progression again. The problem with ark is the exact same thing. It is too much of a time sync.

Trust me if 90% of the dayz population said no to soft caps i am sure that 90% of STN will say no to soft caps too.

Progression system other then crafting, and quests are ok, but progression on picking up and swinging an axe, or shooting a gun is just that our mouse movement. You can not give credit for someone to learn how to use a keyboard and mouse.

JUst saying it is a very bad idea to put soft caps into firearms and melee in a sandbox infected game. Only MMO PVE games should have soft caps.

MiniMiku

Backer
Why import things from ather games? Im here to play STN and not a copy from all the ather shit games. If you like things from ather games play them.
But STN we dont know.
Let's get to know the game only once, as what it was produced. Afterwards, you can still express wishes.
But I certainly do not want to play a second, third or fourth DayZ, H1Z1 or other game.

Arthur Dubrovka

Backer
Why import things from ather games? Im here to play STN and not a copy from all the ather shit games. If you like things from ather games play them.
But STN we dont know.
Let's get to know the game only once, as what it was produced. Afterwards, you can still express wishes.
But I certainly do not want to play a second, third or fourth DayZ, H1Z1 or other game.
I don´t think so. It´s just normal to take look here and there. Maybe not to import other things from games but for shure to not making the same mistakes as other games did in this genre. If you would build a car, you would not try to design your own wheel, you take a look which types of wheels are working and which not and why. Thats how evolution and development works. See whats there, analyze it, make it better.

!!APB!! ZXET

Backer
NO... don't you dare go that route, the soft caps will ruin the fun for everyone.

The reasons why soft caps wont work, it will be impossible to gear up, die then restart the soft cap progression again. The problem with ark is the exact same thing. It is too much of a time sync.

Trust me if 90% of the dayz population said no to soft caps i am sure that 90% of STN will say no to soft caps too.

Progression system other then crafting, and quests are ok, but progression on picking up and swinging an axe, or shooting a gun is just that our mouse movement. You can not give credit for someone to learn how to use a keyboard and mouse.

JUst saying it is a very bad idea to put soft caps into firearms and melee in a sandbox infected game. Only MMO PVE games should have soft caps.

you can put a progression system on weapons and skills the more profiecient you are with said weapon or skill the better you are at it. like chopping a tree with a small hand axe could wield a better return on the lumber you get. its all on how deep JB and crew want to dive into it

Benneh

Backer
you can put a progression system on weapons and skills the more profiecient you are with said weapon or skill the better you are at it. like chopping a tree with a small hand axe could wield a better return on the lumber you get. its all on how deep JB and crew want to dive into it
If STN was to use a form of progression / skill levelling then they way I would envisage it is to be completely removed from the public eye. You don't see what "level" you are, or how good your skills are; it is all hidden in the back-end of the game. The thought and basis of including it in the game are obvious and have realistic merit behind them: practise makes perfect. By this notion, the more times you attempt something then naturally you will get better at it. That's a mechanic that has a place in any sort of survival game. The way 7 Days To Die manages this through their skill tree is an admiral attempt at it, however I don't see any place for that in what Survive The Nights is trying to achieve: realism.

As someone has previously mentioned, the effects of this progression need to be extremely minor - so much so that you don't really see any benefit / difference to what would be "normal" levels. The more running you do whilst having a high(er) calorie count would gradually increase your stamina, which may give you an ever so slightly longer time for running around, or even being a bit quicker. The more times you use a firearm the steadier your aim will be. The more times you swing an axe or similar tool around, the better your ability to use it (read as: cutting down a tree in one or two less swings). They need to be very minor, otherwise you will get an unbalanced effect whereby newer players are at a severe disadvantage, and this is not what you want.

Definitely an interesting discussion point though!

!!APB!! ZXET

Backer
well of course like i said its all how deep JB and crew want to take it. its obviously something that would need alot of testing and tweaking to make it balanced.

Dark Rider 400

Informed Pre-Orderer
Backer
When there hasn't been another DevBlog yet, and you're bored as shit in between classes.

Jokes aside, if they don't have a DevBlog out, it's because they're working on the game and its completely understandable. Just gotta realize that the DevBlog will be much better if it takes longer.

RakkSixx

Rendevous with Destiny. Rakkasan.
Backer
Are we there yet?

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
I'm late to the party here, but would like to add my thoughts. I work for a software house, they write business software and bespoke database applications (I work on the hardware and systems side of things).

Software development takes time! Lots of time. We've been working on an application for one customer for over 10 years. It's not because our dev.s don't know their stuff, it's because of specification creep and unforeseen issues. Let's relate that to STN...
There's been a change of engine (start from scratch again), and lots of ideas from the community they're trying to bring in. Add to that the unforeseen issues that will crop up in any project, and you get delays.

I've backed quite a few crowdfunded projects, some have been unsuccessful, some have failed, not one hasn't been delayed. I have backed the dream, because I believe.

I Believe that STN will be the greatest zombie survival game. Just the mental health part of it sets it apart from everything else.

I've been able to contribute through playing the stress tests and reporting some bugs. I appreciate the updates we get (although they do leave me wanting to play more!). For a small team of overworked dev.s, I think the team is doing all it can to bring an excellent game to us.

It will be ready when it's ready, and I am more than happy to wait.

You're doing a great job, keep it up :)

Status
Not open for further replies.