• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Our Current Progress 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Staff #1

a2z(Interactive);

Developer
Developer
Hello all,

As you can tell from the lack of an update last week, we’ve been super busy. Things are coming together rather nicely now. Some of you have been quite concerned about the project and we’d like to set you at ease just a bit.

Firstly, there are no major issues at this point just a lot of minor bumps in the road that need smoothing over. This is something we hadn’t really thought about in our excitement for our first internal builds. Below are some stats on Black Island.

As of today, there are nearly 100,000 hand placed game objects in total on the island and half of these are interactive objects. This includes searchable cabinets, light switches and lights, electric panels, breaker panels, doors, etc. To break it down just a bit, there are 15,858 fixed objects (these are items you can’t move...mostly objects like wood stoves, fire hearths and generally things that are “fixed” hence the name). There are 8,942 lock positions and 24,154 interactive trees that you can cut down. There are countless miles of roadway and over 400 securable and fortifiable structures along with other game and design objects. This does not include loot whether it is spawned or player crafted.

The entire island will be explorable on backer release. You'll find many towns and a diverse range of environments including pine forests, oak woodlands, meadows and farmlands. All of these areas should provide a unique survival experience. We’ll continue to create, remove, update and alter the island as we move forward through alpha with plans to add purpose built and designed structures much like our main power plant. This includes Island features that should bring players together to achieve a unified goal whether it be powering a town or even the entire island. While these are future development goals, the base for them is currently being worked on.

To give you a sense of just how massive the project has become, there were just over 4,000 objects in the first stress tests which included trees. As you can imagine, it can be a bit time consuming to have a good check over everything and sort any issues that have popped up during the last year of development, post stress test 2 and anything prior to the project coming together into a “game”. You can think of game development as a giant jigsaw. We've created the pieces and we’re now in the process of putting the puzzle together.

We’re making great progress and we’ve had our first full successful reset where the nearly 50,000 interactive objects have populated without issue. We’ll spend the next couple of weeks working out any remaining issues and put a bit of polish on game features that haven’t necessarily gotten our attention recently. We'll do our best to ensure that we kill any major game breaking issues and will try to keep everyone up to date. We want to get STN to you as quickly as possible. However, if you’ve spent any time following the team you’ll know (as we’ve said it 100 times) we won't release anything we’re not happy with or isn’t what we’d consider a good base. If you have any questions, comments or concerns feel free to ask here and you can PM @JB_ anytime. You can also find him on our official discord channel most hours of the day/night.

Player edited content

We’ll do an update at some point next week with some exciting opportunities for backers to edit some of our in game items (mainly clothing). This can be considered a sneak peak at the planned mod support for STN. Although the system will obviously be more streamlined, we’d like to give you the opportunity now while you wait for the first public build to have some fun and get creative. We’ll include anything the community likes in the initial backer release.

We ask that you try your best to keep these update threads free of anything other than constructive criticism. We also encourage anyone who might have some ideas to continue to share them here on the forums. It has been a great help to the team to be able to jump on here, gather your ideas, discuss what will work and start implementation.

As always, thanks for your continued patience and support. Sorry for the delay and we’ll continue this grind until we have something decent for you guys to break! :) Have a great weekend!

shanmk3

Backer
Oh yes!!! And when you tell this... i have a question for that. When it will be possible to do this what kind of software do i should use to try to help with that clothing stuff ( i'm a girl.. i love Clothes XD ) @JB_
We’ll do an update at some point next week with some exciting opportunities for backers to edit some of our in game items (mainly clothing). This can be considered a sneak peak at the planned mod support for STN. Although the system will obviously be more streamlined, we’d like to give you the opportunity now while you wait for the first public build to have some fun and get creative. We’ll include anything the community likes in the initial backer release.

way420

Survivor
Backer
o_O are you guys going for beta your suppose to leave stuff for us to break

JB_

Developer
Developer
Oh yes!!! And when you tell this... i have a question for that. When it will be possible to do this what kind of software do i should use to try to help with that clothing stuff ( i'm a girl.. i love Clothes XD ) @JB_
We'll include all the details in the post :)

[GSB] D1git4l

Backer
Yes, I agree, I still think that a small "stress test" would be something good for the community, even if it is with a lot of bug

JB_

Developer
Developer
Yes, I agree, I still think that a small "stress test" would be something good for the community, even if it is with a lot of bug
There will be no further stress testing bud, you'll be getting Steam keys soon. We'll release to all current backers and you guys will download via Steam. We'll work together to polish, tweak and improve features and builds and once they're decent we'll publicly release on Steams Early Access program :)

RickGrimesdd

Survivor
Backer
will valve moving from greenlight to valve direct affect STN any. i know backers will get the game soon enough but it may not be availble to the spring of this year to people wanting to buy it on steam. just curious

strategos2411

Survivor
Backer
will valve moving from greenlight to valve direct affect STN any. i know backers will get the game soon enough but it may not be availble to the spring of this year to people wanting to buy it on steam. just curious
It shouldn't have any effect on StN, it's already integrated into Steam, and was successful on Greenlight months/years ago. Once released on Steam, then it will be available for anyone to purchase.

JB_

Developer
Developer

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
I think we're all overlooking something from the OP ... "24,154 interactive trees" ... Oh yes! Can we please all have an axe in our starting kit?
Thinking about the starting kit, has that been decided yet? I remember we went through a couple of different ones in the stress tests. I'd like to see a torch in there as well, and something to light a fire with.

JB_

Developer
Developer
I think we're all overlooking something from the OP ... "24,154 interactive trees" ... Oh yes! Can we please all have an axe in our starting kit?
Thinking about the starting kit, has that been decided yet? I remember we went through a couple of different ones in the stress tests. I'd like to see a torch in there as well, and something to light a fire with.
They can now be set by any admin, we'll probably run a couple of different kits on our official servers see what players like best.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
yeah i purchased H1Z1 when it was supposed to be a SURVIVAL game.. as i played 20 odd hours and they split the game in 2 and left the survival part to die i cant get a refund even thou im sure UK consumer laws would say i was miss sold the game.. :(
Pretty sure they where planning on it to be F2P title too... now both cost around £15/20 each hehe, not complaining really because I helped fund before they done that... just think it was a shitty move tbh... "subject to change" and all that covers those decisions I guess :rolleyes:

Back on thread... I'd like to see someone take a screenshot of some deforestation before a server reset hehe.. all that work placing the trees for them to be hacked down :D

JB_

Developer
Developer
Pretty sure they where planning on it to be F2P title too... now both cost around £15/20 each hehe, not complaining really because I helped fund before they done that... just think it was a shitty move tbh... "subject to change" and all that covers those decisions I guess :rolleyes:

Back on thread... I'd like to see someone take a screenshot of some deforestation before a server reset hehe.. all that work placing the trees for them to be hacked down :D
I expect you guys to cut all 24k trees down on at least one server in the first 24 hours, I'll accept nothing less! /tableflip

Status
Not open for further replies.