• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Our Current Progress 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Admin #1

JB_

Developer
Developer
Hello all,

We’ve not done a proper update for a couple of weeks and just wanted to quickly reach out and try to stay connected. We’re making good progress. We’ve had a few set backs too. Our build machine went down on us this week due to a faulty CPU fan and power supply. Actually, it’s likely due to the fact that we beat it to death on a daily basis. We have gotten that repaired and we’re now able to continue to test builds. Things are really starting to come together and we're nearing a release.

@Jayty has made great progress with general issues and we’re moving forward at a decent clip now. We’ll continue to kill small issues and backend problems and get things stable enough to manage. We can’t end up in a position where we’re managing server builds, the community, patching issues, client builds and on top of that stupid little game stoppers we could have easily found on our own. The team at this stage is just too small for that.

We’ll be releasing keys just as soon as things are stable and easy enough to manage to avoid a total mess upon release.

In the coming weeks, you can expect to see a video from @Jayty shortly before receiving your keys. He'll do his best to explain exactly what you can expect including what's working, what's planned and how to go about reporting issues.

Once again, we’d like to remind everyone that this first alpha build is only going to backers (anyone that has pre-ordered) this is NOT a Steam Early Access release although you will be downloading STN via the Steam Client! Backers will help us find our initial bugs and once everything is stable we'll then move forward with our Steam EA release. We’ve said it 100 times now but we’re only a tiny team of new developers. This is our first project of any kind and it’s a beast. The backer release would be a build that in most cases gets released to a large internal team to work through issues. We don’t have the option so you’ll need to help us out. Things aren’t going to be smooth and we’re going to need your remarkable patience to carry over through backer builds. Survive the Nights has been in development for just two years now and we know it will be a great game but we’ll need your help to pull that off.

We’ll get back to it now, just a reminder - check out the UV thread here if you’re interested in designing some in game clothing. We’ve received some amazing work already! Don’t forget you can reach @JB_ anytime on our official discord channel.

Here are a few screens just to wet your whistle :p

A storm rolling in

Back alley vistor

Down the rabbit hole

I call this one,"Off to the plant" - my wife calls it, "Why are you naming screenshots?"

"And on that farm he had some brains" AKA "Now you're just being ridiculous"
On a side note, while waiting for build machine repairs @Jayty has implemented water machines. You'll be able to gather rain water shortly after a storm from nearby water barrels. with a craftable variant in the works. In the future, water could be provided to entire towns via 'pump houses' much like our planned electrical sub-stations. If you and your team can manage to power a pump house, all taps, sinks and water sources in the affected area will provide clean water.

This brings us to a question for the community. Do you feel aggressive AI like Zombies should attack machinery along with fortifications? For example, if you and your team power a pump house, should one member always be in eye shot of the generators and machinery running it? Should zombies be attracted to the noise these machines make? This is our current plan and would like to get some opinions on it so feel free to comment here ;)

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
Sorry to hear you've had some setbacks (especially the build rig) but glad to hear that's back up and running! I believe you're taking the right plan of attack here and I'm for sure looking forward to getting in and attempt to break things some more for you guys. :D

Keep up the good work!

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Nice update man, much thanks...

I don't think the zeds would/should attack machinery... if they did, they'd do no damage anyway.. maybe break a wrist or something heh.

Fortifications like barricades over windows would be better breaking because of decay/rot and "attacks"... a zed attack could be more like pushing against it rather than actual scratching at it.

Naming the screenshots is the most crucial part of the whole game :p

Arc Angel IV

Backer
Thanks for the update! Looking forward to the release! I'd say the zombies should be attracted to noise, yes, but they shouldn't attack machines. Aren't they only supposed to be attracted to blood and flesh etc.? I like the idea of them attacking fortifications to get to you but it seems a bit strange as to why a 'wild' animal type enemy would attack a machine. That's just my opinion, keep up the great work! :)

Spackler

Backer
Great update. I have mixed emotions about the AI attacking machinery but in the end would think they would be attracted to sound so would at least check it out and try to get in. Maybe a minimal damage but force you to have to deal with them in order to protect the eventual destruction or when it is time to add/get gas,supplies, etc from them. If not they would just be a build and forget it and that is no fun. Managing resources etc is part of survival.

RickGrimes

.44 Magnum
Backer
This brings us to a question for the community. Do you feel aggressive AI like Zombies should attack machinery along with fortifications? For example, if you and your team power a pump house, should one member always be in eye shot of the generators and machinery running it? Should zombies be attracted to the noise these machines make? This is our current plan and would like to get some opinions on it so feel free to comment here ;)
In my opinion as I'm sure many others would agree, I think that would be a lovely idea. In most games your fortifications aren't even attacked because the Walkers/ Mutants AI aren't smart enough. This would make the game more revolutionary as other games are still lacking that. PvP always has people attacking and destroying other peoples stuff, but the PvE side, they just don't have the AI up to date to be able to destroy things like bases and such.
Also you could maybe not have them completely destroy the pumps or machinery, rather maybe have them attack it until it is inoperable, after that move on to the next thing. It is things like this that make a game, especially a open world survival, more immersive and realistic. It would also be nice to join into my server I was playing on before and see a walker attacking my stuff and have to fend them off with my defenses or guns, etc. Or coming back from a supply run and seeing that a few walkers had started to attack the pumps and destroy our things.

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
I think zombies should be able to attack certain 'machines' throughout the game world. I don't think they should be able to break the machine itself, but possibly break some of the parts that were necessary to repair it (or make them fall out or whatever). Machines like this will be very important and powerful in the game, and as such should run some kind of risk of breaking down. It should be important to keep these types of areas fortified and riddled with traps to keep AI threats at bay, with regular or semi-regular checking up on to ensure there haven't been any major breeches or to rebuild defenses. I see things like bringing power and water to such a large area as a sort of 'end game' scenario, and end game content in any game should be difficult.

Danielinnv

Survivor
Backer
Zombies should be attracted to the noise of a machine depending on how big or loud it is but i dont think they should be able to destroy a pump house or sub station, they could damage it a little bit lowering its efficiency they could also brake or damage things around it like loot or small camps/ objects placed. But if there is a lot of zombies their and people haven't "taken care of them" then the zombies could probably seriously damage or break the pump houses or sub stations.

But i'd prefer the zombies couldn't damage the buildings, maybe it could a server setting

RickGrimes

.44 Magnum
Backer
Thanks for the update! Looking forward to the release! I'd say the zombies should be attracted to noise, yes, but they shouldn't attack machines. Aren't they only supposed to be attracted to blood and flesh etc.? I like the idea of them attacking fortifications to get to you but it seems a bit strange as to why a 'wild' animal type enemy would attack a machine. That's just my opinion, keep up the great work! :)
This is true but honestly, how else does a Walker get to the blood, flesh? they have to get through the fortifications and machinery to kill you for the flesh.

Big_Al

Backer
Nice update guys, glad to see we're moving forward. Unfortunate about the Cpu and Psu issues but glad it's sorted. Looking forward to the coming weeks.

FuzioN

Backer
i think that pumpstations could go down, you want ppl to start them again so you dont just start them then there is nothing to bother about anymore.

However forcing one guy stand and guard it 24/7 would be bad and boring for that guy.

Maybe make so that it attracts zombies and after a while they are there they attack it, and it has durability and if they attack it over a day or 2 it gets destroyed and you gotta repair it again.

this makes it so if it breakes you gotta repair it again, or you gotta check it maybe once a day or so.

and if it breakes you are in trouble becuse not only do you gotta repair it again, that noise attracted alot of zombies so you gotta clear them out and it should be more than before :D

I guess a system for this that works perfect will take time, but i think slapping on a durability system on the pumpsystem would work, and calculate damage dealt to it from zombies and giving it a value and test it internally how long time. it would take for them to break it.

big question here would also be how mucb preasure does this put on the server and pc:s ?

so that is also somthing you gotta think about :)

oannes

Backer
I would say yes to the zombies. It will give people something to constantly work toward, and possibly even work together to fortify power plants and water pumps.

UrbanFsk

Backer
Hi guys, i made an account a while back but i think this is my 1st post. Anyway hello :D.

Idk if this has been asked before but how will we report bugs? Via forum or will there be a feature in game?
I'm no artist or a programmer but ill sure try to help with some constructive feedback. Loving what you do and as an "old" gamer and a survival buff i hope ill able to help in any way :D.
Keep up the good work.

Erick J Conklin

Survivor
Backer
Make them attracted to it that way it makes it harder to add fuel and what not only dameg should be done is the fortifications and traps as well as small damage to pipes or valves nothing too major cause it will be frustrating to log out and then log back in to find it all destroyed everytime cause there will be a time that there may not be someone on

Thread starter Admin #19

JB_

Developer
Developer
Hi guys, i made an account a while back but i think this is my 1st post. Anyway hello :D.

Idk if this has been asked before but how will we report bugs? Via forum or will there be a feature in game?
I'm no artist or a programmer but ill sure try to help with some constructive feedback. Loving what you do and as an "old" gamer and a survival buff i hope ill able to help in any way :D.
Keep up the good work.
Hi, welcome to the forums :) Check out the planned bug reporting method here.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Am I the only one who thinks the zed should not attack machinery? hehe

I know the thought might sound boring but bear with me...

Things are gonna generally break-down over time I'd guess, so having the zeds break stuff isn't really needed and also doesn't make sense, also... if you just have noise of something like a power station increase the amount of zeds that spawn in the area because of the noise, which would give you a nice amount that would congregate around it and be in the general area increasing the chance of coming in contact inside building and being a general pain in the ass to travel around the area... it should give you the incentive to keep the machine itself fortified (maybe they an area for you to work within placing traps/defenses or placing scaffolding for people to defend it etc)... these things would kinda "dictate" where zeds will be most.

Fortifications are something different...

I dunno, I could be totally wrong with my train-of-thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.