• Hello Guest,

Alpha v1.0 has been released on Steam! Bug reports can be made using our new in-game bug reporting system. Please consider joining our Discord if you need assistance.

-The team at a2z(Interactive);

Our Progress 2 - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Admin #1

JB_

Developer
Developer
Hello all,

We ran a few internals with the "complete" alpha build and weren't happy with some of the results. Even though you may feel like we're doing something wrong, we won't release anything we're not happy with. We took a step back and decided to sort a few larger issues that have been lurking from the start before a release. We've introduced an added layer of improved level of distance control.

If you've been watching the change-log you'll see our newest entry -

• New optimizations for distant structures making them a 1000 times more optimized. (that's not a joke)

Black island is only in it's alpha stage. We will continue to update, upgrade, swap models and improve the island as we go along. Structures are big part of the core gameplay mechanics and their toll on performance across the board wasn't great.

The island is home to a staggering amount of interactable items now and the towns are densely populated. Every structure is enterable and eventually they'll all be fortifiable. We'll also be introducing purposefully designed structures, i.e. the power plant which will function in the future. Any optimization to structures is very well worth it. We're super happy with the effort. Structures are now a mind blowing 1,000 times more optimized than they've been in the past.

Unfortunately, delays happen and we decided that putting the project quality above the financial gain of releasing at Christmas was more important to us and our existing community than simply making money. We also decided we’d better spend a few days with our families over the holidays before they forget what we look like :p This is the first game or piece of software any of us have ever developed so we have something to prove.

Delays suck and believe us, we do want the game out there but it's just not quite ready yet. We're not going to set any further dates at this point. We're now testing internally and we ask that you continue to support us. You can flame us here but remember that we're only trying to give you the best experience possible.

Survive the Nights will be in your hands shortly. Once we are happy with our current builds, we'll do another post and release steam keys to all of our backers. You'll join us via the Steam client and we'll burn through a bunch of builds until the team and the community feel the game is fit for the general public in which we’ll release EA on Steam. This is an early access, alpha, crowdfunded project by a tiny team of noobs but it stands a chance with the proper support to turn into something we've all been looking for.

We hope you’ve all had a great holiday season and wish you all a happy and healthy 2017! The team is very much looking forward to the new year and the release of Survive the Nights :)

MANE_GAME

Irrelevant YouTuber
Backer
Thanks for the update JB. I'm honestly glad to it not pushed out just for the sake of a time line. Take your time, it will all be worth it.

Happy new year to you and you family!

Diablo747

Silence is golden. duct tape is silver.
Backer
Cheers for the update, Keep up the awesome work!

Davidbc

Survivor
Backer
*waiting intensifies

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
I always love how honest a2z is with the community. I for one have seen to many games, EA through AAA titles, that release too early and suffer for it. Spend some time with your families and take the time needed to do STN right.

Vongrimm

Survivor
Backer
Well what a crock of..... only joking!

You guys made the right call. Hopefully this time will allow you to release an EA version the team and community is happy with.

Enjoy your (well deserved) family time and I wish you all the best for 2017.

See you in the new year!

Seafort

Backer
Take your time JB and the rest of a2z. It's not like we have a shortage of games on PC to play in the meantime.

One of my favourite quotes - "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto

Happy New Year one and all cya in 2017 :)

Thread starter Admin #9

JB_

Developer
Developer
Take your time JB and the rest of a2z. It's not like we have a shortage of games on PC to play in the meantime.

One of my favourite quotes - "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto

Happy New Year one and all cya in 2017 :)
I really wanted to find a way to squeeze this quote into the post, it's one of my favorites and Miyamoto is a real hero to me.

Rg.

Backer
As long as we get a few screenshots every now and again. I'm all for waiting, take your time and get it right we're not going anywhere.

oannes

Backer
That's what you said a year ago! I know I know, better to wait and get it right than rush and lose all your player-base. My heart aches for this game to be released! However, I regress for I know that these decisions are the right decisions and that these protests of mine come solely from the emotional being of my persona. Forgive my transgressions and please continue the awesomness that is the production of this video game. May this find you well!

Maddreamer

Backer
Enjoy your holiday its well deserved, thanks for always doing your best to keep us informed, i think we would all prefer a higher quality product over an earlier release. Happy new year!

Sanginius

Backer
Always Lurking, Seldom Posting, 'The Delay' isnt an issue as far as I am concerned, NOT knowing whats going on Would Be, but you make sure we're kept in the loop, so that isnt an issue as far as i see it, looking forward to when you feel comfortable with letting us into your world and giving us our steam keys, so I/We can help you by finding bugs you dont and breaking things in ways not dreamt possible, all in the name of giving you more work.... erm sorry I meant improvement :D

Proliphic

Backer
Have a happy new year @JB_ the resy of the a2z staff. hope to see my key soon. Great work so far. Thanks for the update

**sharpens his big scary knife**
So You say @JB_ that there will be another delay???
Good... **cuts bread** We can only wait for it to be perfect!

@EDIT:

And may You All out there have a better new year...

Chucknorris405

Informed Backer
Backer
Well poo.........

If it isn't ready, it isn't ready. That's all there is to it. Its nice to see you guys stick to the commitment of a quality alpha release. There are tons of big developers that cant even do this for full release games.

I've been waiting since 2014, waiting a bit longer isn't going to physically kill me, but I think you're killing me on the inside ;)
Keep up the good work and enjoy your time with the family.

Blo0DxSh0T

Survivor
Backer
Take your time and release your project when you deem it fit...who cares about the ppl who don't have any patience..You guys are doing it right. Making sure your game works before release.Not like 90% of the early access stuff that gets released and is more buggy than playable. **COUGH**DayZ**COUGH**

Status
Not open for further replies.