• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Overall physical health

Thread starter #1

Zstar2010

Backer
I'm starting this thread to start a discussion on the physical health part of the game. The Kickstarter mentioned stuff about watching your daily calorie intake, body temperature, and fitness. So this is for your ideas about your diet, hydration, fitness, disease, body temperature etc.

Below is a list and summaries of discussed Topics and the ideas thrown around.

Topic #1: Getting Wet. (Hypothermia)
Or more specially, your clothes getting wet. Getting them wet by running through a steam or lake in cold weather would make you cold faster and risk hypothermia. It would make you rethink your travel options and even consider making a bridge to make getting around easier. Otherwise getting wet means you'd have to get to a fire or a heated building quickly before you freeze.
Some other thoughts that were thrown around were...Carrying spare clothes, or drying your clothes in front of a fire.

Topic #2: Food poisoning and Sickness.
New topic, still to be discussed.

Other Thoughts Being Discussed:
Hygiene: Not bathing could make you smell and attract zombies, and being clean could help improve your mental health.

Last edited:

Kirk

Soon to be Survivor
Backer
So far it looks like all of this stuff will happen. I mean if they are gunna make you watch calorie count, shouldn't you watch your temperature also?

Thread starter #3

Zstar2010

Backer
So far it looks like all of this stuff will happen. I mean if they are gunna make you watch calorie count, shouldn't you watch your temperature also?
I know that I would just make a comment about getting wet :p

Kirk

Soon to be Survivor
Backer
Clothing plays a good rule for temperature, also a fireplace they have set. So it's safe to assume that they have a temperature feature implemented.
I know fires, and fireplaces help your mental health

Thread starter #8

Zstar2010

Backer
I know fires, and fireplaces help your mental health
Uh… I didn't know that interesting

Anyway back to my point. I'm just saying if they had a "wet clothes" mechanic in a make you think twice before running across that stream to save time. Maybe even might want to build a bridge to make traveling easier.

Smittyry17

Backer
I like this idea. If you are not able to make it to your safe house and need to run from a zombie or player say late call if you swim a bit you should be soaked. If you don't have spare clothing you need to get some place warm to prevent freezing.

Batroel

Backer
warm....fires....fireplaces...whisky/beer...bedroll...heaven in zombie apocalypse XD

Facerafter

Backer
I like the idea but wasn't this already planned?
From the kickstarter page:

Our island is set in a colder climate and the game features a fully dynamic weather system. The summer months are warmer and stormy while the winter months are harsh and much colder. Keeping your body temperature up will be necessary.

• Start campfires in the wild
  • Power home heating systems
  • Find shelter on cold dark nights to conserve body heat maintain physical state

CptMugwash

Backer
I wonder if hygiene will be implemented, the longer you go without some kind of shower or bath the stronger your smell is which could attract zombies from a further distance. So, going out into the rain and taking a dip in a river would be a normal thing to do now and then, maybe you can strip down to your tiny whites to take a dip so your clothes stay dry, or if your clothes do get wet maybe you could simply hang up some string or rope to make a clothes line, either in the sun or by the fire. Obviously you'd get people running around in their underwear with this but if implemented people who do that could succumb to hypothermia a lot quicker. Also, not to forget hyperthermia which is the opposite, doing a lot of running around in the middle of summer with several layers of clothing on could bring on hyperthermia, where your core body temperature gets dangerously above average resulting in dehydration, dizziness, fainting and possible death.

Thread starter #14

Zstar2010

Backer
I like all the feedback :) and the hygiene idea. It could also help your mental health if you stayed clean too.

My next topic is about food poisoning. There is already a thread that talks about food preserving. http://community.survivethenights.net/threads/making-jerky.382/ but I if you were to say kill a deer, how long before the meat went bad, and the effects of eating rotten meat. And I wonder if they will have a "sickness" mechanic. Like besides just having your health go down you have a on going disease that lowers your abilities, and you'd need to either wait it out or take medicine to speed up the process.

Last edited:

TheClassiness

Each clothing item should have a "warmth value" and a "if wet value" That way, you could wear an extremely cozy, warm wool sweater, but if it gets wet it's gonna drench you. Materials should affect how water effects you, so you could end up wearing materials that are somewhat resistant to water. This also prevents people from running around in their underwear like psychos, since they'll freeze pretty quick. Along with maybe being in only your underwear will have a sanity hit?

Oyosied

Backer
is there a temperature for the player , so they can get sick , cold and if u can break furniture to keep yourself warm ?

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
That would be a cool idea, the ability to break furniture for kindling or scrap wood, possible. The temperature not too sure.... And you probably could have posted this in the Suggestions>Gameplay :)