• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Parts to make a vehicle run/work?

Thread starter Moderator #1

DemoCar82

This is it... the apocalypse.
Community Mod
Backer
What types of parts may we see to make a vehicle run and drive? We've seen a few things from previous vids, and the new photos (muffler). What else would be good?

The Kickstarter video here shows what they had in here @ 1:56ish:
I personally feel this should be expanded on to make a vehicle run and move.

I do like the idea of mods/reinforcements to a vehicle... but not unrealistic ones, like gun turrets and such. This has been slightly talked about already.

I personally don't want to see "levels" of parts making cars go faster or slower. More a realistic setting, where if you add a muffler, the vehicle if quiet, rather than having 3 types of mufflers all doing different bonuses, if that makes sense.

Anyway...

Tires/Wheels (4)
Battery
Headlights
Horn
Fuel
Alternator
Starter
Belts
Wiring
Radiator
Radiator Hoses
Driveshaft
Axles
Fuel Tank
Engine Oil
Oil Filter
Plug Wire Set
Carburetor (if applicable - older vehicles)
Distributor (if applicable - older vehicles)
Coil Pack (if applicable - newer vehicles)
Spark Plugs (4, 6, or 8)
Muffler (in game already)

Any other suggestions/ideas?

Last edited:
Thread starter Moderator #3

DemoCar82

Community Mod
Backer
Yeah, I think we had talked about hot-wiring on the threads months ago, but to elaborate...

My thoughts on that would be that you would obviously need a "mechanic skill" of a certain level (if there is that type of leveling system) before you could hot-wire a vehicle.

Maybe have some vehicles spawn w/ a key already in the ignition, maybe some would have the key somewhere in the vehicle (glove box, sun visor, etc), and some not have a key at all... and the ones w/o the key would need to be hot-wired. (Or stolen from other players who have pulled the ignition key out).

We've also seen a mod being added to the RV. The metal window protectors seems like a modification to me. It doesn't make the vehicle run any better, but it helps defend the vehicle. Headlights should be a thing too.

Thread starter Moderator #5

DemoCar82

Community Mod
Backer
Good call on headlights Fin! Maybe a horn also?

Maybe some of the "mods" to a vehicle are just standard things on a vehicle, horn, headlights, etc. Obviously would enable you to do more things the more of those 'non-essential' things you added.

Certain parts would be absolutely needed to make the vehicle run/move, and other parts to just add "niceties" to allow you to see at night, honk a horn to draw attention, etc.

Castillo

Survivor
Backer
To be honest, I don't think it should be complicated to the point where there are all of these different parts that are needed to get a vehicle running. Personally, I like it the way it is now. Besides, it's better to add more important functions such as zombies etc at this point since stress tests aren't out yet. Good suggestion nonetheless, in my opinion! :p

Thread starter Moderator #7

DemoCar82

Community Mod
Backer
My deal is, most of the other games in this genre that have vehicles are super simple and easy to get rolling, that we see so far. I'd like to see StN be harder than that and do things no one else has done.

I'm not saying every/all parts in the list, just using that list as ideas. But I'd also like to say that the more complex vehicles/barricading/crafting all is, the funner long term gaming we will all have.

The probability of most of this stuff breaking is slim to none. Though you will be driving in rough terrains and constantly dodging bullets; Most parts won't be needing many repairs, and I'm sure they could easily be repaired with good old duct tape. Parts such as the axle would be hell to break, but I'm sure it would happen. If you break an axle you should not drive. But things like tires would obviously need replacement often. More so than parts such as an axle or radiator. Which... Both can be repaired very easily depending on your mechanical skill.

[TGE]Gloriousdixon

Backer
Possibility for the vehicle to run without some parts but could cause various types of damage to the vehicle if you dont run without it like imagine the horrors you could run into if yuo run a vehicle without water in the radiator. You be driving down the road and all the sudden your car would burst into smoke and the engine would seize.