• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

"Passive mode"

Thread starter #1

Uback

Hi there! :D

I thought that it would be a good idea to implement something like passive mode in GTA, but for bases instead.
The idea is, that this will protect the bases that people built, when they log offline. It can also be active, when they're on the server, but that also makes them unable to destroy other players bases.
I imagine it would be something physical like a sign or a ward, with a cooldown effect, so people dont abuse it.

I figured it would be something other people would be interested in aswell, and that it would set STN apart from other survival games, where people often complain that their bases get destroyed over night. :)

Sam00197

Sam '00197' Monahan
Backer
This sounds like a good idea, but it would have to be a server by server thing, a sort of semi PvE mode.

Moderator #3

Lord Goose

One does not simply hunt.
Community Mod
Backer

I thought that it would be a good idea to implement something like passive mode in GTA, but for bases instead.
The idea is, that this will protect the bases that people built, when they log offline. It can also be active, when they're on the server, but that also makes them unable to destroy other players bases.
I imagine it would be something physical like a sign or a ward, with a cooldown effect, so people dont abuse it.

I figured it would be something other people would be interested in aswell, and that it would set STN apart from other survival games, where people often complain that their bases get destroyed over night. :)
This also sounds like what a lot of MMO's use when you're new to the game and you're starting to build your "empire" if you like. I'm not too keen on the idea personally. Nice suggestion though.

Chris "Cr1t1cal Reaper"

Call me Reaper
Backer
I know what you mean about logging in the day after you built your base and its aleready destroyed, its annoying.

But seeing as basebuilding is not gonna be a part of this game, only the fortification of houses is going to be implemented in the game (as far as I know), I dont see how this is going to work, without damaging the realism part of the game that I feel this game is a lot about, and partly the reason I backed this game a year ago.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Good idea bud but preferably a server option in my opinion... some like it hard. :rolleyes:

Edit: And welcome :p

Last edited:
Moderator #6

DemoCar82

This is it... the apocalypse.
Community Mod
Backer

Make "bases" difficult to destroy/break into. If this is balanced right, I personally don't see the need to make bases invincible.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Make "bases" difficult to destroy/break into. If this is balanced right, I personally don't see the need to make bases invincible.
This is true in ways like the size and strength of the material used but I also think that it should depend on how well the person done the "job" at nailing their planks to the window and things of that nature... things like did they leave gaps? and did they nail them to the inside or outside?.

So something might look well defended but in some place there might be a flaw in their design...

Ashen81

Backer
personally I really like the idea. make it a server by server things if ya will. I like it because there are time some players like myself can only play three times a week really. I work 14 hours a day 5 days a week. the other days are catch up on home "jobs" honey do stuff. plus I cant just sit down and game all the time anymore if I even had the time. But I love games like this.
If we can do our own server "which" it kinda looks like", this wont matter cause Ill get a locked one for my close group of friends I play with but if they are all public then yes, please make some that do this. sorry, Im just getting started on forums if the server thing i mentioned is already out there.

Strider

Undercover Mod
Backer
My 2 cents :

STN Won't have base building so doesn't work in that aspect

If it were to work in some way offline impenetrable fortified buildings isn't going to work either unless there are additions like :
  1. After X amount of time it allows buildings to be broken into
  2. There is a delay before the protection kicks in to stop combat logging
IMO it is about balancing resource... It should be really hard to craft anything that can break into bases if they are of a higher tier material... Unlike ARk where it costs you 100 times the time to build something than it does for that thing to be broken

BrianTitan

The Titanium Superstar
Backer
Even with base building, protection on log out would be foolish, because if you were being attacked at your base you could simply log off and get GOD MODE from the attack. This would actually suggest people to log off instead of staying on and playing. The idea would to make people want to stay in game as I explained on the day and night cycles. If avoiding your base from being destroyed you could log off for 30 minutes or an hour, why not handle a few things and come back? Just as if night cycle was an hour and everything was harder at night, why not just eat and take a crap while you waited for the night to end? Just my two cents, no offense to anyone or their ideas and or opinions, I just think the main idea is to make people wanna stay logged in!

Vookem

Zombies don't like cheese....
Backer
Wouldn't be to bad of an idea on pve servers, but depends on how many people there is that play on them and such.
My 2 cents :

STN Won't have base building so doesn't work in that aspect

If it were to work in some way offline impenetrable fortified buildings isn't going to work either unless there are additions like :
  1. After X amount of time it allows buildings to be broken into
  2. There is a delay before the protection kicks in to stop combat logging
IMO it is about balancing resource... It should be really hard to craft anything that can break into bases if they are of a higher tier material... Unlike ARk where it costs you 100 times the time to build something than it does for that thing to be broken
Maybe if/when we can have are own rented servers this could happen. Kind of like on Rust modded servers?

Doublebow

Lone Wanderer
Backer
It worries me when I see people posting things like this, I when I backed this game it was with the thought that its aim was to be a zombie survival game which would focus on the zombie survival part of the zombie survival game (if you get what I mean), and when people start to post things like this it shows that some people of the community seem to think that this game is going to be another rust / dayz, now I may be wrong in this, but I am sure that this was not the devs intentions. and if I am correct the devs shouldn't be focusing on adding in things like base protection etc, they should instead be focusing on deterring people away from raiding bases, but I do still feel that breaking into someone's base should be possible, for example imagine your playing the game.

Your surrounded by 30+ zombies shambling after you and your injured friend who just got shot in the leg, your out of food, water and you need to fix your mates legs, you see a house next to you all boarded up, so you use your crowbar you found not too long back to break of a couple of boards (thus attracting a few more zombies due to the noise) you then crawl in narrowly missing a bite or two from the hungry dead outside. Once in you quickly board the window up again and start shambling around in the darkness of the room, you see a shelf with some supplies so you take a bit of them (some food water and a few bullets) you quickly make a basic splint out of a chair leg and some ducktape and stop the bleeding in your mates leg, you then climb to the roof and out a window so you make your escape while the zombies still try to bat the front door down.

Now this is just a little image I had of base "raiding" and how it could be in a less pvp / troll manor, and also how I wish this game would turn out. If this was to happen but there was base protection on then these two would have either been eaten by the dead or your injured mate would have bled to death as you try to make your escape, and as such that's why raiding can be good (if not used for like trolls (i.e only take what you need, not all of it and then burn down there base or fill it full of zombies for when the guy returns))

JoshGaarax3

Backer
I'm not too keen on this idea but the game is more of a pvpve game you can still kill players but the system implemented is telling us not to really do it compared to Dayz since we have a mental state now but still its not a fun thing being able to fort up a house and just sitting in it so no one can touch you.

KrisGalama

Retired Intern
Backer
Good idea bud but preferably a server option in my opinion... some like it hard. :rolleyes:

Edit: And welcome :p
Heh.... I too like it hard / crunchy. If the cookies are all soggy then it's just rubbish... ;) ;)

Now this is one hella good example of how I would like things to turn out, this really sounds like an awesome idea, and I guess you just have to wait and see how it turns out ;)

ANYWAY

I guess that if you don't want your base to be destroyed overnight is either:

1) Never log out again, and commit yourself to defending your sweet homestead
OR
2) Shotguns.

OOOORRRR I guess just hide your chest under your pillow in your bedroom and place random crap in your kitchen cupboard. Hang a sock on the door handle to let them know you are having some "quality time", so that they won't disturb you! That way they will never find your quite "well-hidden-under-your-pillow-chest". I dibs copyrights for this name!!

Doublebow

Lone Wanderer
Backer
Heh.... I too like it hard / crunchy. If the cookies are all soggy then it's just rubbish... ;) ;)

Now this is one hella good example of how I would like things to turn out, this really sounds like an awesome idea, and I guess you just have to wait and see how it turns out ;)

ANYWAY

I guess that if you don't want your base to be destroyed overnight is either:

1) Never log out again, and commit yourself to defending your sweet homestead
OR
2) Shotguns.

OOOORRRR I guess just hide your chest under your pillow in your bedroom and place random crap in your kitchen cupboard. Hang a sock on the door handle to let them know you are having some "quality time", so that they won't disturb you! That way they will never find your quite "well-hidden-under-your-pillow-chest". I dibs copyrights for this name!!
Haha, I just saw your comment and was like "when did I ever say "snnnnip"" :) and then I read my comment and I was like "wait I wrote that, damn I must have been drunk to come up with that sort of poetry" :)

But seriously that is what I would love from this game, and have wanted from many other zombie games which just hasn't happened (Dayz, TDL ext) and if one of the interns wants it, maybe the rest of the team wants it, and then maybe we might just get my dream game. Maybe show the rest of the team to see what they think and if it relates to what they want as well, it would be great to know.