• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Personal battering ram

Thread starter #1

DZS

Survivor
Backer
The idea is based on the Captive Bolt Gun which has a fairly long thread under weapons. A personal pocket sized device that can create a huge amount of kinetic force on the striking head. There is a bit of physics involved, its not something i think i can detail with any reliable accuracy. I think it should be possible for a device such as a Captive Bolt Gun to be modified so that it can smash in a door even bend a wall. The basic principle is similar to a rail gun, small force applied to create a large effect also demonstrated in how some bullets work with massive exit holes.

Similar devices may exist in law enforcement. For some reason a plutonium based atomic bomb detonator comes to mind with how a high kinetic force hand held battering ram might work.

'The Uranium of Little boy was divided into two pieces: the bullet and the target. The "bullet" was a cylindrical stack of six Uranium rings about 10 cm wide and 16 cm backed by a tungsten carbide disk and a steel backplate. All of this was contained within a 1/16 inch thick steel can to make a complete projectile. The "target" was a hollow cylinder 16 cm long and wide, weighing 38.4 kg. The target was fabricated as two separate rings that were inserted in the bomb separately. Both the bullet and the target were sheathed in boron in order to absorb neutrons and reduce the chance of a criticality accident.

The bomb was detonated by firing the bullet into the target via a high powered aircraft gun. The gun was a 3" diameter, six feet long anti-aircraft barrel that had been bored out to 4" to accommodate the bullet. It weighed about 450 kg, and used Cordite, a conventional artillery smokeless powder, as propellant.

To reduce the possibility of the bullet being driven into the target by a plane crash, the fit of the barrel was intentionally made very tight. The bullet had to be rammed into the breech to assemble the weapon, and about 70,000 lb were required to drive it forward. Even with this precaution, a plane crash which caused the weapon to strike a hard surface could conceivably produce the 500 Gs of acceleration required to fire the bullet, and implode the weapon.'

https://web.stanford.edu/class/e297c/war_peace/atomic/hfatman.html

Last edited:
Thread starter #2

DZS

Survivor
Backer
High pressure with a very tightly fitted contained bolt should result in greatly increased kinetic force being produced on the contact surface. Its really an educated guess i'd like to think it'd produce some shocking results hehe.

Imagine having a contact surface weapon that could shatter a wall in half, let alone a zombie. I might need someone with physics knowledge to pipe up here :p

Maybe im thinking of a contact rail gun pistol lol.