• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Pigeon Dovecot (Food Source)

Thread starter #1

Handicap Jack

Up for a laugh and down for giggle.
Backer
I have put this in the building suggestion as think it probably falls under this category due to a dovecot being, well, a structure...

What is a dovecot? back in the old days, in England at least, dovecots where medium to large structures that encouraged pigeons and doves to nest in large numbers safe from natural predators. These structures where owned almost exclusively by the wealthy and would provide them with the rich tender meat from squabs (young pigeon around 4 weeks old and around the time they learn to fly). Little maintenance is needed beyond keeping the structure in good repair, the pigeon feed themselves from wild sources though can be fattened up with seed.

Having the ability to knock up a dovecot in game could provide survivors an alternative source of meat and have certain upsides and down to owning one, eg: they are noisy and could attract zombies or other players and wildlife, they tend to be large so could give a position away of a more settled and thus looted player, they provide meat all year round in massive quantities, they could (as has been mentioned in other posts) be used as carrier pigeons to distribute messages.

On the messages front, in a world that settlements would come and go I do not see the value in using them in this way, however just having a dovecot could trigger random messenger birds to arrive at your location where you may be able to intercept a communique meant for a non existent NPC detailing the location of some loot... but I digress.

Basically what you are looking at here is a way to supplement your survival which as far as I know has not been done in other games

heres a couple examples, gives you an idea of what I am talking about.

Thread starter #2

Handicap Jack

Up for a laugh and down for giggle.
Backer
doesn't look like my images are loading on here, I am shite with url uploading so if your interested just google "dovecot"

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
They have a chicken coop made, so it would be cool to keep pigeons also... even just for a food source.
+1