• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Pitfall trap

Should they be added?

• Yes

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
Thread starter #1

TotallyNotHenry

Backer
Dig a hole and disguise it!

Resources needed;

• 5 Stick Piles
• 10 Leaf Piles

Equipment;

• Iron Shovel (Must be good condition)

Sounds simple but that's what zombies are, if the world was modifiable to allow us to dig holes then we could do this outside our homes etc. During spring they would look like normal patches of leaves fallen from the trees, they don't kill you but they do damage to your legs. I'm not talking a break but a sprain, meaning you walk slower and shake a little. Only other players could climb out, Zombies get stuck and as do animals. From there they are yours to do as you please, maybe horde Zombies as trophies and use the animals for breeding?!

My last idea for the night ;)

Thread starter #2

TotallyNotHenry

Backer
The recipes would be modified as it is a little too simple there, maybe gathering the leaves would get your dirty and you would need to wash to stop itching etc.

thraxinius

Forum Feeder
Backer
Like this idea but the crafting is too simple as stated above but the idea is great!

Thread starter #4

TotallyNotHenry

Backer
Like this idea but the crafting is too simple as stated above but the idea is great!
Maybe it's not the recipe, but the tools... I mean maybe a shovel should be harder to find? Unless needed for building foundations, in that case we would need to add camo netting to the crafting or something along the lines of?

FlashPaperGrind

That Guy
Backer
Go take a look at a suggestion i posted around traps. I went with a similar idea of a spike trap. Could work with animals too. And not much digging required if the model was made with a leaf overlay

VIGUY

Backer
Dig a hole and disguise it!

Resources needed;

• 5 Stick Piles
• 10 Leaf Piles

Equipment;

• Iron Shovel (Must be good condition)

Sounds simple but that's what zombies are, if the world was modifiable to allow us to dig holes then we could do this outside our homes etc. During spring they would look like normal patches of leaves fallen from the trees, they don't kill you but they do damage to your legs. I'm not talking a break but a sprain, meaning you walk slower and shake a little. Only other players could climb out, Zombies get stuck and as do animals. From there they are yours to do as you please, maybe horde Zombies as trophies and use the animals for breeding?!

My last idea for the night ;)
I was thinking along a similar vein, although was not limiting to zombies and animals. thought " A La" walking dead with their pit of zombies that it would also be good defence against anyone trying to loot your place.. they fall into the pit and can't get out.... would add that you would need considerable energy, good shovel, pick-axe and (important) a ladder - so you could get out of the pit once you have dug it. ;-)
You could also dig smaller ones out to hide a cache of supplies for fellow islanders....

peterpiper007

If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn?
Backer
I've looked through the traps forum and this is the closest I've come to the old school 'pit with spikes' trap we all know and love.. except yours is smaller. Here's what I'm thinking of:

trapspikepit.jpg <- A smaller scale of this would make any home safe! On the downside, once the filled with zombies you wouldn't easily be able to empty them out and others could just walk over...

Don't forget you Gould trap other players in your pits, also if you fill your pit with Zs then the more you have alive in there then that should affect your mental health if you can hear them moaning all night.

Castillo

Survivor
Backer
A good idea for traps that I thought of for the Survive The Nights environment was pitfall traps. Some of you might not know exactly what those are, so I'll explain. Basically, a pitfall trap consists of a hole that's been dug to a certain depth which contains sharpened sticks at the bottom, impaling whoever or whatever falls on them. What you would do is dig a hole using a shovel, use a knife to sharpen some sticks (quantity doesn't really matter, it depends on the dimensions of the trap) and place them in the bottom of the hole, facing up. You would then use larger sticks to cover the trap up by placing leaves and other grasses on the sticks to make it seem natural. If someone were to step onto the pitfall trap, it would cause quite some serious damage, and maybe even cause death(?). I'll put up an example picture of a pitfall trap below.

Norton

that guy who does things with sfm
Backer
Reminds me of ''Men of war: Vietnam'' these seriously p1ssed me off.
I like it, but it might be slightly too-overpowered in some aspect.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
I like the idea, aslong as the hole is small enough too trap a foot, a cheap and easy type of bear trap.

A Friendly Moosicorn

Majestic Creature
Errrr, it sounds cool, but like Norton said, it's really over powered. I can already just imagine walking around in the forest when BAM, instant death via punji pit. I think if this were to be implemented, it would have to be sort of obvious that there's a trap there. Not too obvious, but maybe something like this
http://peteralanlloyd.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Punji-Trap-Firebase-site.jpg (i'm new, I have no idea how to post pictures, if it doesnt work then copy and paste).
Or maybe it shouldn't even be used for players, just zombies? So it wouldn't need covering. I still have concerns about that though. If you just covered the area around your base with punji pits, then it would be too easy to survive. Zombies would just fall in the hole and die. Maybe, after 5-10 zombies or so, they should fill up the pit, requiring you to take the bodies out(this sort of ties in with that other post about player and zombie bodies), or just cover them with dirt and get rid of the pit. Maybe you cover them in gasoline, and burn them? Just some ideas.

Castillo

Survivor
Backer
STN isn't voxel based, so you wouldn't be able to dig a hole to put the spikes into.
I don't think it would necessarily have to be voxel based completely. Just to replace a patch of grass/dirt with a hole filled with spikes or whatever else is put into it. I don't think STN should be entirely voxel based anyways. :p

A Friendly Moosicorn

Majestic Creature
Aw. Not even just placing a trap that goes into the ground? You don't have to dig into the ground yourself.. Would that work? I have no idea how video games are made, so I may be saying lots of dumb things.

Ive been thinking what if you place a unstable wood plank hold up by a few sticks on top of a hole or above sharp rocks if someone or something would step on it the sticks would brake and the platform fall thiswould cause broken or damaged legs it would do this not because the small drop or sharp rocks but because you already thaught you were standing and your muscels already relaxed you could also put a spike trap at the bottom but that wouldnt ad any effects because the plank would fall on the spikes also you could camouflage this trap and put it in the woods with the hope large animals might step on it if you place it near a pond this wouldnt help against humans that much because they need to step on that platform and this can only be used above undeep holes an on rock please leave a comment sayin what you think of it and sorry for the long reading

Sam00197

Sam '00197' Monahan
Backer
I believe fake floor traps in the woods would be a good idea as it could help with hunting/zombie trapping and player capturing :) It would work if you had to dig the hole first and it would take a certain amount of time to dig the hole.

yes i thought about that to but from what i've heard there will be no digging in the game so thats why it isnt op if you would be able to you put it behind the corner of your house and someone would step in

[TGE]Gloriousdixon

Backer
The floorboard should be able to be raised off of the floor and put 4 small nails in each corner on it when the floorboard is placed back down it shold look level with all of the other boards but under each of the nails is a shotgun shell so if you went to step on that board the shotgun shells would go off either causing your character to die from shrapnel or break the characters leg from the impact