• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Player Created Lore

Thread starter #1

Davz Not Here

Backer
this idea came up in the thread about a museum on the island ..... http://community.survivethenights.net/threads/museum.5231/#post-59086

i wanted to see how far i could take it and this is what i have so far ..... none of it is more than a nutshell ..... but i thought i would open it into it's own thread .....

check this OP frequently for changes before posting

ALL DATES, 'journel' and other, listed in this OP, are an unofficial time line, mostly for me to keep track (and make it look more journal like)

feel free to add dates, make changes or suggestions, add on ..... this is an open source story

attn @a2z(Interactive); :i'm just going to keep working on this because i have fun doing it. if you give me some directions to go (PM or here), names to incorporate (and how in your minds), events, etc., i'll tweak it as i go

"History being what it is, I feel it important that my thoughts be written. That history might judge for itself. This is a forward to the journal i kept these last 50+ years. I am 70 years of age, in the year 2016. On one of the last refuges of the human species. Having watched this bastion slowly fall. As the whole of the island chain has been inundated with the plague walkers. Putting us, as a species, squarely on the brink of extinction. Well, these days, after scrounging for supplies and getting indoors by night fall. Writing by fire light is what we call entertainment. More on that later though.

We came to this Island on a clipper ship, as you will see in the rest of my journal. Yeah do you F@#$ing' believe that? A F@#$ing 3 mast, sails and galley, clipper ship. It was the 20th century after all, 1969 to be exact. We had people in space. If we had waited one more year we could have come here on a modern day cargo ship. Still, there was an allure to going back to olden times, Building from the ground up. We were looking for our own place, to live differently than we had or, as Thoreau would have said, "to live deliberately". Some of us wanted a more severe challenge, some of us just wanted something new and more in line with how we thought, or wanted to live. We were unsatisfied by what others had offered us, life may be a sandbox, but that doesn't mean you can't build well designed sand castles RIGHT?

Wait ..... lets back up a bit.

In 1966 the world started to get more unstable. There was Vietnam, protesting, political upheavals at home and abroad, the ongoing cold war, and a general sense of growing totalitarianism fomenting under the surface. At the same time, new ideas were being thrown around like ping pong balls. It was during this time that we met @JB_ and @Jayty, and they said "we can do it better, different AND deliberately" ..... I was sold. These two were old friends. Between the two of them and some of their compatriots on this grand mission, there was the knowledge and skills, of sailors, carpenters, welders, etc., the list goes on. What wasn't known, was logged in books. Sure there would be some trial and error as we learned, and then translated, theory in to practical application, but, we were confident in ourselves and our ideas.

Jb and Jayty also had intel, declassified spy plane photos, left over from the 50's, of an unused, and unclaimed island in the North Atlantic. One of their parents (fill in later) had been an intelligence analyst and cartographer. They had access to these photos the second they were declassified. I imagine it was these photos laying around, and being seen by (jb / jayty), that was the inspiration for this idea. At least, in part. I'll have to remember to ask them later.

Over the next 3 years, we made plans and preparations. We spoke with, and convinced as many of our families and friends as we could, ..... and any who would listen along the way. We packed up as much as we could. Tools and raw building materials. Food and basic medicine. Seeds of every kind. Yep, we all jumped onto this clipper ship and started off for our new home and adventure. It was pure genius ..... They had a crew, financing, they had assorted skilled idealists following in their wings, and they had an idea.

The going wasn't easy, but we were quick to adapt."

edit**** can i get a clipper ship wreck on one of the beaches OR the old ship becomes a museum? thanks
It wasn't long after this moment that we set off for international waters in the North Atlantic. It was the summer of '69. (? @JB_ @Jayty ).
We sailed back and forth for weeks, looking for that damned island. Fog and storms limiting our visibility. It's not like we had GPS back then. Working with aerial photo maps, and some basic 60's nav. gear. As the seasons turned, and the weather of the North Atlantic(?) started to churn, our food stores dwindled and illness began to rear it's ugly head. The moments of success that we looked forward to, after making such a life altering decision, soon languished as faith in our ideals and resolve once more was tested. A fog developed, and then enveloped all we could see. Soon after night winds howled and soon brought with them hard falling rain. This rain, became ice that seemed to cut through a person, as it coated everything from bow to stern, bringing with it a damp cold. It seemed autumn, if not winter, was coming earlier than we had planned for. We were resolute, though growing weary and our fearless leaders saw this, and at once steeled themselves to the coming task.

Shortly after, as autumn turned to an early winter (or so it seemed some days), a break in the weather provided a distant silhouette. A small bump on the horizon, no more than a nipple of land protruding from our lady ocean. The call was made. This was the island we were looking for. As we closed distance, the bump became a chain of islands and we set our sites on what seemed to be the largest and most fertile looking. We circumnavigated the island, finding a natural safe harbor on the north(? @JB_ @Jayty) side of the island. We put in, and skiff by skiff, we ferried onto the land. Lush and vibrant colors of plant and animal life filled our eyes, and was a welcome site after months of cold empty horizons. This was our new home and we set out to explore it for resources, building sites, etc. It was time to start building a new world.
Hope had been rekindled, though any and all lofty ideas of 'changing the world' were quickly dashed to pieces, like so many ships on the rocky shoals of this our island home. Shelter and food were our first priorities. With winter upon us, and our food stores depleted from a longer than planned for voyage, hunting/gathering parties and construction crews were rallied. The modern tools and building supplies were unloaded and, the first buildings were established on these gradually darkening days of chill and rain.

This is about the time sickness began to spread. It was basically the flu, it should have been no big deal, except, most of the people in our group had been raised on a steady diet of tv dinners and cough medicine. The human immune system is similar to a muscle, in the sense that it needs to be exercised. This small detail meant that most of our group had an under developed immune system, which when stressed by the perpetual wet cold climate and meager rations, started to fold under the pressure.

There was about 300 people when that winter hit ..... in just a few weeks that number dropped by a 1/3 and the pyres lit up the days and nights. It was almost a wonder that every passing ship didn't stop to see if there was trouble. But they didn't. Rations were increased, what few medical supplies we brought with us were quickly used, and the healthy did what they could to find more food and improve the shelters. It was going to be a long winter. But our resolve was true, at least in the sense that we refused to just throw ourselves on the raging fires of our dead. So little by little, one building at a time, a small town was built. One step closer to the dream, and come spring it would be time to contact our compatriots back on the mainland who would send the next round of building supplies, surplus food, some tech. support etc. It was never the idea to live in a stone age world, just to have the 'modern' world work the way we were told it would, if not better.
6/5/1969: (elaboration as i go)

I start this journal on the day we leave. Over the last few years, I have convinced my sweetheart @thelady3fx to join me on this adventure. All our possessions are in the ships hold, in 6 weeks time we should be on an island. An island with no population, indigenous or other, to call our own. A place to build a new society.

I'll fill in the details of the last 3 years in future entries. There was just so much to get done, and it has been such a whirlwind. I'm not sure i could relate it all in one sitting. The logistics of so many tiny details. As well prepared as i think we are, there is still a sense of trepidation. This is no small target we aim towards. Still, this will not become another myth akin to Sisyphus or Atlas, i have to believe that.

7/23/1969: (elaboration as i go)

It's been six weeks since we left. We should have arrived this past day or two. There's a subtle fog settling over the days. It seems to be thickening.

7/25/1969:

The fog is certainly getting thicker. Navigation is become increasingly difficult. I believe I am a little frightened. No one will say it, though, i think we are all thinking it. Hopefully the fog will lift. Hopefully.

7/28/1969:

The fog, The fog, THE FOG! I literally, cannot see the bow from the stern. In fact, on a 3 mast ship, i can't see the 2nd mast from the stern. The mood on deck is resolute, if not a touch concerned. The fog seems to be turning into a falling mist. Everything is soaked and damp. It makes me feel clammy and gross. What i wouldn't give for a hot shower right now. We're all just trying to keep busy with what ever work needs doing.

7/29/1969:

The fog seems to be thinning, good news as that may be, the rain is falling harder, the temperature is dropping, and the winds are start to really pick up. The boat seems to lurch a bit more than usual as the seas get more and more choppy. To make matters worse, some people are starting to show signs of illness. Fevers and vomiting. Looks like the flu. I think my faith is wavering some. Where is that damned island.

8/1/1969:

Like a lions roar the storm deepens. The wind driven rain is blinding, the crew has had to lash themselves to the deck, everyone else is below deck. Not that it's any form of dry down here. More people are falling ill. It's getting harsh out here. Then again, i can only imagine we're going to survive. The boat is lurched and rocked every which way, and i can only imagine the skill it must take to keep her steady. The reality seems a little ..... less encouraging.
What the hell were we thinking? Were we more gun ho, than prepared or practical?
I digress, must keep busy.

8/2/1969:

In a situation that seems to go from bad to worse, i wake up today to find that the rain has turned to ice. Wind driven and sharp as nails. The sails are down, the deck is a skating rink, our future ..... increasingly bleak? I'm not even sure anymore. What next, we hit an ice burg? That is so NOT cool. Yeah the pun was intended, some levity for the sake of sanity. I'm going to find something to do.

8/4/169:

THE SUN!
I think that i understand why the sun was once worshiped. I'm not a religious person by any standards. But after this last week, i think i truly understand why our ancestors worshiped the sun. After the dark, and cold. The damp having seeped into everything, even our very bones. The loss of faith and hope. Moments of deep fear and an almost obsessive focus on how to stay alive, yet being bound by the whims of nature and fate.
Then, during what seemed the darkest hour, when all was to be lost ..... the storm passed, and I see the light. There are clear skis with the warmth of the sun on my face. It is glorious. It really all makes sense, at least metaphorically.

8/5/1969:

Land. Finally, after weeks of traversing back and forth, we have found our island. Ironically, after reviewing our travel logs, the fog and storm had us sailing 'circles' around the island chain. It's a wonder, and a whole lot of luck and providence, that we didn't smash the boat onto the rocks. The flu seems to be lingering and spreading itself around.

8/7/1969:

2 days of unloading the boat. Probably another 2-3 days before it's all on shore. We pull it from the hold to the main deck and load it into nets. We hook it to the block and tackle, and over the side to the skiffs. We are so busy and there are never enough hours in the day. Iv'e finished my lunch, back to work.

8/10/1969:

After much toil, I have some down time. All the materials are on shore. Food and medicine stores are a little light, it took us forever to find this speck of land. It's easy enough to blame it on the weather. Cold fogs like left over pea soup. Ice and cold rains forcing us to keep the sails down and the hatches battened. Still, none of this changes the fact that the winter will be harsh, and that's before considering the weather.

5/1/1970:

The winter dragged on into mid April. I say this in retrospect, at the time spring was here. We lost some of our seed stock in early/mid march just before the spring equinox. We had built make shift greenhouses using pole barn wood frames and 5mil clear plastic. It appeared spring was to break, and we needed to get a jump start on crops, so we planted our seed trays. Two weeks later, about 4 days after our sprouts popped out of the dirt, a late winter /early spring freeze hit. 26F degree lows, with highs barely in the 40s ..... a green house was no help, the sprouts wilted and we lost about half. In our sick, desperate and hungry logic, due to the deepening plight of a lack of food, we had planted to early. To make matters worse, all of the fruit baring trees were just starting to blossom.

The beauty, of all those flower petals on the ground, caught by the winds in swirls, was breath taking. Purple magenta specs floating on the breeze. Bright yellows and blues lining the dirt paths we had worn in. Tornadoes of oranges and reds. And when superimposed over the hint of spring green on the hill sides, just awe inspiring. With spectacular views added by a sunrise or sunset. There is no landscape painter in the history of our species who can compare. Just breath taking. Until, that is, it dawned on us. "Frost warnings issued in FLA and CA, Citrus crops may be damaged". It was just another headline from the old world we had left behind. We'd heard it every spring and fall since the day we were born, and how it would / could affect the cost of orange juice. "Blah". But now ..... now, this was a more serious matter. It wasn't a situation where you just spent a another $1 or w/e on a gallon of juice. Now it was "Oh shit, we could die."

It's amazing, well ..... almost amazing, how much one thinks they know, usually in theory and not practice. That one point comes to the fore front quite quickly when a group of people, who know it all, start applying that knowledge in practical application. EVERYTHING goes out of the window. Theory and practice don't always jibe (jibe ho).

(5/4/1970)

my pencil broke
it took me 3 days to borrow a pencil, apparently they are in short supply. @Num47 had an extra.
Things have been fairly status quot the last few days though, so i 'll pick up the history later.
(5/6/1970)

@DemoCar82 said we're running low on acetylene for welding. He had some ideas for DIY piping of gas from vents. If we can find any. It's a good idea, our resupply ship won't be called for a bit longer.
@Montauk , one of our architects, has been working closely with the carpenters and steel workers to make sure they follow the prints correctly. If we don't figure out the gas situation he'll also be teaching the steel workers how to be carpenters.

(5/10/1970)

sigh ..... the food is starting to get more and more bland. as we run out of prepacked spices we have to discover new ones or it will be algae paste for all. Some of the herbs and spices are growing faster. Soon. And where the hell is @Cookie. He(she) went out into the wilds a week ago looking for fresh herbs and spices. New ones, Known ones .... what the f@#K ever, something already

(5/18/1970)

crops are starting to come along, looks like spring is full on. Yesterday @strategos2411 and @Patrick Bergsma found some hot springs further up the in the mountains (?? @JB_ @Jayty ). We've more buildings situated now (spring rains bleh), and @DemoCar82 has made progress on piping a natural gas 'vein'. It's a cave with some crevices leaking the gas, not too far from the hot springs.

We'll be calling out to our mainland support very soon. We have a few more bugs and kinks to work out, put a few things to the test, but soon we'll be calling support. Fresh supplies would be a good thing.

(5/23/1970)

PROGRESS !!!!!

crops are booming

@Cookie was with @We gotz purple stuff :T and @Crazypineapple55, They found a natural 'orchard' on the other side of the island. A little grove of apple, cherry, and pear trees ..... SCORE!

@DemoCar82 managed to get a the welding system back on line. It took a little bit to work out the natural gas -to- oxygen ratio, but @DemoCar82 has our welders back up and running.

@JB_ and @Jayty called the Mainland. They spoke, at length with @KrisGalama. He has the list of supplies and will be arriving (captaining the boat) with in 3 months. @Bchhog was apparently laughing at us and busting our balls about the insanity of coming out here in a clipper ship, let alone giving up our basic 'comforts'. He plans on joining the resupply ship. Fresh supplies, more people = forward momentum. Kris has mentioned several times that some of the more rare supplies might be hard to get. @DrThundar mentioned an old island, closer to the EU shore line where they used to ship off plague victims in the middle ages, but has since become a haven for modern day pirates and black market smuggling (should i be writing that in here, and how the hell does the Doc. know about smugglers and pirates?). The Doc., thinks it might be worth looking into. Kris, JB and Jayty will have to decide (after calling a council i assume)

We should have our first town fully up and running by the end of the year. Then the real work begins. Deciding on what our island will be like. I would suppose it to simply (not so) evolve as time passes, guided by our ideas and ideals. Time will tell the story as the old axiom goes, and we will be here to help it unfold.

(6/9/1970)

Kris, Doc, and Bchhog have made contact with the smugglers. Petrol is the reason. Selling large quantities of oil, during war time, to an oddball group of 'hippies' (what most petrol co. CEO's seem to call this group), is "not part of our business plan or it's practices".
Ok, with no other choice, we'll take our money to the pirate smugglers.
We are also told, our resupply will include some heavy machinery, including some small earth movers and a couple of tractors. @Lord Goose and @Survivor managed to secure those deals.
The hunting on this island has been plentiful, supplemented with sea foods, fruit, and our gardens, life is getting easier. The work is still tough, but it's paying off. We have most of the first town standing and functioning. If we really do get heavy machines and fuel, we'll really make some building progress.
We're also seeing some of the first shops stocking and opening. Right now everything is mostly socialistic. We all work and share the food. Neighbors grow varying veges and trade with each other. Building a new house or barn is literally the same as an Amish barn raising, though a bit more complicated when dealing with welding metal trusses. I wonder what kind of, if any, economy we'll develop.

Last edited:

JB_

Developer
Developer
I like this, although the time line really will not match up with our islands design. It will feature multiple towns some of which are considerably larger than what you've seen. The back bone doesn't really flush out maybe we need more time, 50-60+ years, perhaps the island was founder by dirty filthy hippies?

Moderator #3

Montauk

Test Subject
Community Mod
Backer
I like this, although the time line really will not match up with our islands design. It will feature multiple towns some of which are considerably larger than what you've seen. The back bone doesn't really flush out maybe we need more time, 50-60+ years, perhaps the island was founder by dirty filthy hippies?
Black Island was first discovered on November 25th, 1955 during a Lockheed U-2 test flight over the Atlantic? Because the island was discovered on Black Friday it was dubbed "Black Island". Eh? :D

JB_

Developer
Developer
Black Island was first discovered on November 25th, 1955 during a Lockheed U-2 test flight over the Atlantic? Because the island was discovered on Black Friday it was dubbed "Black Island". Eh? :D
Dayummmmm

Thread starter #6

Davz Not Here

Backer
Why is there no @KrisGalama in that journal, every story needs a Kris!
i'm working on it ..... give me some time

i don't get your point.
i was a writing a ' history' and was thinking from the PoV of the original settlers (modern day time) ..... this can be changed

do you want this placed 50 - 60 years from now?
or this happened 50-60 years ago?

also ..... so who founded the island (group, why, etc.?)

Thread starter #8

Davz Not Here

Backer
Should be an old smuggling Island from way back in the day then during the black plague (insert country name here) assuming it's eruopean based.
They sent all the bodies or sick people to the island hence the name black Island

i like this idea, and it could easily be written in (i was going for a societal deviant island, as a founding, but, 6 in one hand .....)

but this still doesn't answer the questions posed, after @JB_ 's comment .....

also ..... i'm going to keep adding to the OP and tweaking as we go, so ..... read the OP frequently !!!!!

Thread starter #10

Davz Not Here

Backer

i can rewrite some of the opening paragraph parts to reflect this idea.

maybe we didn't zig-zag all over the ocean (on purpose) looking for an island. Instead we were headed to this unused / unclaimed island chain, and we knew about it's existence from declassified '50's era fly over pics (backed by modern day google map pics)

Last edited:
Moderator #11
Thread starter #12

Davz Not Here

Backer
I was just spitballing a bit. :p
oh yeah ..... that whole, "i meant all these other subtle things, other than what my words said." ..... i always forget about that other 95% of conversation and idea exchange ..... my bad

Thread starter #13

Davz Not Here

Backer
OP edited (mostly minor, typos, some story)

Thread starter #14

Davz Not Here

Backer
OP (quote 1) edited to better reflect the timeline as requested by @JB_

quote 1, first paragraph is written sometime in the 21st century, while the 'history' stuff takes place some time in the 20th century

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer
You might should elaborate more on what exactly caused them to take on this crazy and challenging endeavor. Also about their backgrounds concerning their past occupations. Will give an idea of their personalities and skill sets. I find the idea of five hundred people sailing a clipper through the Atlantic of all places absurd, but if a few of them have experience with small sail boats its slightly more plausible.

Thread starter #16

Davz Not Here

Backer
You might should elaborate more on what exactly caused them to take on this crazy and challenging endeavor. Also about their backgrounds concerning their past occupations. Will give an idea of their personalities and skill sets. I find the idea of five hundred people sailing a clipper through the Atlantic of all places absurd, but if a few of them have experience with small sail boats its slightly more plausible.
right now i'm really going for the shell, and plan on filling it out later, but,
adding this to my thoughts and you'll see (some) OP edits over the next week or so

Thread starter #17

Davz Not Here

Backer

thought on this all week ..... give me more ..... and looking to hear ideas (on this and more) from the folks @a2z(Interactive);

i have a few days of rain coming up so i'll have time to play with stuff, make edits, and look for approval from my loving masters

kpmh2001

Standard Bearer for Failure
Backer
Mabye at the same time as the people on the clipper landed another ship brought different people who where Canadian settlers claiming the island for Canada, they had access to experts and modern tools and that would explain the towns.

Thread starter #19

Davz Not Here

Backer
they had access to experts and modern tools and that would explain the towns.

hmmmmm now i think you haven't read every part of the OP .....