1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Player Created Lore

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Davz Not Here, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Darkstar 影

Darkstar 影 Lone Survivor Backer

Jun 4, 2017
    *knock knock* I drew my handgun immediately at the noise that I hadn't heard for months now. I found myself on the ground, half awake holding Jasmine, looking at the door upside-down, my .38 Snub pointed at it. I began to move, gritting my teeth as pain surged throughout my body. I was being careful not to wake up Jasmine though, it was still early, and it had been awhile since she got decent sleep.
    *knock knock knock* I still kept the revolver trained on the door, moving towards the door slowly. I moved my eye up to the peephole in the door, and saw three men, two of which seemed to be in some type of uniform, a red bandana around their mouths and noses, each holding ARG-15's. They were on each side of the man in the center, who was in rather normal clothes, but they were unusually clean, and he held only an 1199 in his right leg holster. I saw him swaying side-to-side impatiently, stroking his thin dark beard.
    *knock kno-* I opened the door, holding the .38 Snub just behind the door, being careful not to open the door enough to where Jasmine could be seen.
    "Ah! Nice to meet ya!" The man in the middle said, a little louder than I'd have liked. Somewhat instinctively, I gestured for him to be quiet, I looked him up and down for a moment.
    "Who are you?" I asked, staring at him. He seemed to be in his late 30s, and I could already tell he was a very smiley and somewhat annoying person, but something about him seemed almost intimidating, underneath his massive smile and gleeful expressions.
    "The name's Kurt. Glad to meetcha, neighbor." He exclaimed. I couldn't begin to comprehend why he was so happy. I glanced nervously at the two guards beside him. Him, noticing, gestured for them to step back.
    "Eh don't worry about them, we didn't come here to kill ye. BUT, And this is a pretty big but, I did hear that you killed one of our guys, and I've gotta admit, that really sucks. But hey, no hard feelings!" He said, very matter-of-factually. "I get it! He probably shot first, knowing him, and so it was self-defense, no biggie. Although the big Mrs. said that it wasn't acceptable, so... here we are."
    I nodded slightly.
    "What do you want?" I asked, gripping the handgun tightly.
    "Now, there's where ya got it lucky!" He said with a laugh, I noticed Jasmine begin moving out of the corner of my eye, and slowly closed the door slightly more. "You see, the Mrs. said that instead of killing you, we'd just take a small... what to call it... Forgiveness Fee, for a few months, and then we'll letcha off the hook. Got me?" He said, maintaining his toothy grin.
    "He shot first. I'm paying nothing." I protested firmly. Both of the guards behind him almost immediately cocked their weapons and raised them. I stood still, knowing that they weren't given an order to fire... yet.
    "How about we start small, yeah?" Kurt began. "Three food units, whether it be a packaged or wrapped food, canned food, anything like that. A gallon of water, and twenty liters of fuel." He said, seeming to make up numbers as he said them.
    "We don't have any of that. No fuel, no water, and that's more food than we have. We just got here." I told him, most of which was the truth.
    "You have three days to get it, and for talking back, I'll need a rifle with at-least twelve bullets. And if you don't, the little one gets it." He smirked and began off, followed closely by the two guards. I felt panic rise through my chest as I closed the door. They knew about Jasmine.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    Dr. J and park0902 like this.
  2. Dr. J

Dr. J Survivor Backer

Aug 14, 2014
    @Darkstar 影 ... We seem to have a creative writing competition going on here, we're all getting in to the narrative frame of mind! I can imagine Dante starting to break out in a slight sweat and desperately trying not to look at Jasmine in the last paragraph :)

Only question is, who will win next years Booker Prize / MAN Booker prize next year ...

3. Darkstar 影

Jun 4, 2017
    @Dr. J Thanks! And yeah I'm really liking yours as well! I gotta admit I can't see it as a competition, I love reading/writing all posts in the lore, I'd never say one stands out among the rest because they're all great characters with great stories to tell. I have noticed though, most people write characters that are introduced and die in the same post. While this is a good way to start writing lore, just to get into the feel of it, I do wish there were more than just the 3-4 of us who write consistently.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    Dr. J likes this.
  4. Stay Alive

Stay Alive Idea extraordinaire Backer

Jul 9, 2017
    I've been speed-reading through these posts since I found STN, and it's genuinely like reading a really intense book! I liked the idea, and wanted to hop into writing with you guys, but I wasn't sure if other people were allowed to just show up, or what. I wouldn't mind writing with you all, though.

Dr. J likes this.
  5. Darkstar 影

Jun 4, 2017
    @Stay Alive Absolutely! I too was curious if I was actually allowed to write here at first. Anyone can make up characters and start their story whenever and however they'd like, there are just a few rules, keep Black Island's location non-specific(Don't declare that the closest continent to Black Island is Australia, or anything like that), no super-zombies(Spitters, Tanks, flying zombies, etc.), and I think there's a rule that you have to ask other people before directly using their characters, so if you wanted your characters and someone else's to meet, just make sure you ask them, and then you can work together on how your characters would interact, etc. But I'm not sure about that last one. Anyways have fun and I look forward to seeing it!

Dr. J likes this.
  6. Dr. J

Dr. J Survivor Backer

Aug 14, 2014
    Hey there @Stay Alive just jump right in! The only guidance I've ever received is to keep it geographically and time independent. Apart from that, anything goes here...
    Start your own story, or stories. Interact with other stories (crossing paths or joining up). Try to keep it true to what we know will be in the game.
    Here's the latest game preview trailer:
    and the latest pick-up list trailer:
    The map: https://www.survivethenights.net/map (seems to only work in FireFox for me).
    I'd like to hear your survival tales!

Stay Alive likes this.
  7. Stay Alive

Jul 9, 2017
    I woke up to banging on the door. Had this been a little while earlier, I would've slept through it and attributed it to a mailman or something. Now I knew a lot better. I moved slowly out of bed, pretty much sliding off the mattress onto the ground. I half-army crawled, half-dragged myself to the window on the far side of the bedroom. It wasn't mine- I hadn't been home in a very, very long time. I had left after my parents had finally turned. My siblings turned a week before, and if I had stayed in that house I would've gone insane. I didn't take much with me- a necklace that I'd worn since I was five, my signature headband that was made out of a bandana, some books, a knife I'd found from my kitchen, some food, and if you can believe it, hair products. My arsenal had definitely updated since then- I had a completely empty gun, a combat knife, and quite a few more scars than I began with. I also ended up lighting the hair products on fire, at one point or another. But focusing at the matter at hand.

I scowled through the window at the zombies crowding around the door. I saw the sun barely rising, and berated myself for hiding in one of the only houses around. Of course they'd try to get in here. They hated the sun. And I could hear the wooden door groaning from the strain of holding up against what seemed to be at least six zombies. I snatched up my backpack, in the back of my mind relishing the days where my only concern was being late for class. Now unless I hauled out of here, I'd be a late night snack. I pushed open the window, pulling myself on the ledge, awkwardly ducking under the frame, and scooting around until my legs were dangling out. I had decided to sleep on the second floor, stupidly. I twisted until I could get a grip on the bottom of the window frame, and slid off the ledge. I hung there for a moment, dangling in midair. I glanced down, and cursed under my breath. I couldn't exactly gauge the distance from here to the ground in the dark. So I took a deep breath, let my flailing legs find purchase on the side of the house, and pushed off.

My stomach and I plummeted, and I restrained from yelling out, solely because I hit the ground before I could get enough air into my lungs. After about thirty seconds of lying spread-eagle on the ground, I scrambled to my feet, for the most part unhurt. I squinted up at where I'd fallen, and decided that the drop must not have been too far after all. But I was definitely bruised.

I turned, glared at the rising sun, and started walking towards town. Supplies were running low, and I'd have to get more. A town seemed like a good place to look.

Darkstar 影 and Dr. J like this.
  8. Darkstar 影

Jun 4, 2017
    I counted my bullets, carefully placing each of them into a small plastic bag.
    "Ten... Eleven... Twelve." I said quietly to myself. I then placed them atop the Julius 9mm that the sniper had used to fire at me. Seeing it, I was reminded to check on my wounds. I sat on the couch, close to Jasmine, who was sitting up on the recliner, putting bullets into a magazine as I'd shown her.
    "How's it look?" I asked, holding up my shirt and showing her my bare back. I could sense her disgust immediately.
    "Uh... Well it's not getting any worse." She said. I lowered my shirt and put the gun into a briefcase, along with the bullets, remaining silent. I heard her cock the 1199 she'd been loading, and then watched her approach me, holding it out for me to take. I put my hand on the barrel, pointing it away from my chest, raising my eyebrows at her. I smiled as she noticed her mistake and pointed it downwards.
    "Keep it, you know how to use it now, and should have one handy, I might need you to save me again." I told her with a wink. She seemed pretty surprised, and after a moment put it into the side pocket of her backpack.
    "You didn't tell me where we are going." She said quietly.
    "Those men that came, they want us to give them supplies, supplies that we don't have." I replied, checking our ammunition supply, which was emptier than I'd have liked.
    "We aren't going to just give it to them, right?" She protested, a bit louder this time. "We didn't do any-"
    "They don't see it that way!" I said back, louder than intended, and after a moment looked away, taking a deep breath.
    "I'm sorry. They aren't in the right mind, but we have too for right now, if we don't they'll kill us both. They have too many people, and we don't even know where they live. But trust me, no matter how it happens, we won't be paying them for long." I assured her, as I loaded our last two shotgun shells into the Masshail, pulling the heavy double-barrel onto my shoulder.
    "But for now, we need to go get water and fuel. I already have a plan for the water, the fuel we'll just have to hope we find in Old Town." I told her, putting an empty milk gallon into my backpack and the .38 Snub into my holster, with the final ten bullets for it going into my pocket. I could see a brief look of confusion on her face.
    "The town that we had the ramen in." I added, and as recognition washed visibly over her, her and I both exchanged a bright smile. I packed three boxes of Instant Rice into the briefcase. I chose that over the Toaster Pastries, Spaghetti, Oatmeal and Jaffa Cakes, since that's what Jasmine likes the least, even in the apocalypse, I know she can be picky.
    "I'm ready to go." She said, moving forward and reaching for my hand. I closed the briefcase and opened the door, taking her hand.
    "Let's go." I said, holding her hand tightly, closing and locking the door behind me.

Dr. J likes this.
  9. Darkstar 影

Jun 4, 2017
    You know I didn't a notice it in my first read of this, but seeing it through again now, I can't help but say that was some really good writing! The detail was good but not excruciatingly in-depth, you never hung on one subject for too long, and despite the lack of stuff we know about the character, I am excited to see more in the future.

Stay Alive and Dr. J like this.
  10. Dr. J

Dr. J Survivor Backer

Aug 14, 2014
    @Darkstar 影 ... wanting to see what Dante and Jasmine do next ... do they move on, capitulate, make a stand or even go on the offensive? I'm rather gripped by the tension!

Darkstar 影 likes this.
  11. Dr. J

Dr. J Survivor Backer

Aug 14, 2014
    It's been a sleepless night for Dan and John after the zombie attack.
    We sat nervously in our upstairs room for a while, then John started telling Dan about his own issues. It seems to help relieve the tension and help build the trust between us a little.
    We take turns using the gun cleaning kit on our pistols. We might just be able to squeeze enough out of what's left to give the shotgun in the trap downstairs a little buff.
    Cleaned and reloaded, we both now carry spare ammunition on us. All of it, equally divided. Nothing left in the box we bought with us. Water is also running low, but we do have food for another couple of days.
    Dawn is breaking, although our room faces North, we both see the increasing light.
    Another problem ... zombies don't like light, so any still around will be seeking shade. That could well mean buildings, including the one we're sheltering in.
    We have a quick 'staff meeting' over a cold breakfast.
    We are decided, we'll wait a little longer until the sun is up enough to keep the zombies in a more docile state, then venture out to check over last nights 'adventure' and continue to explore.

How soon plans can change.

My watch says 09:03 when the shotgun trap pointing at the door downstairs goes off again.

Both Dan and I are immediately on our feet. Dan covers the door as I open it. The stairwell looks clear. Dan moves ahead as I try to cover him. We both gingerly step over the crossbow trap tripwire and move slowly down to the ground floor. Every sound is amplified, every sense on edge. I see Dan's body noticeably relax as he reaches the ground floor.

"Just a fox", he says.

Then there's a nearby scream. Unhuman would be a good description of it. We can't pinpoint the exact location, except for the fact it's not from the building.

"I'll cover you, reset the trap". I move left and right trying to see what might be outside, what made the sound, as Dan works to reset the trap. The fox may or may not be good to eat, I move it aside in to the downstairs room for now. Something to deal with a little later. First things first, what made that unearthly scream?

Darkstar 影 likes this.
  12. Stay Alive

Jul 9, 2017
    I'd been walking down a road for a good two hours. The sun had risen into the sky, and with it came the heat. I was sweating, my headband doing little to nothing to keep it out of my eyes. I spent the majority of my time walking readjusting it and swiping my hand across my eyes. I was moving slowly, my right leg barking at me whenever I walked too fast. When I had fallen from the house the night before I had bruised it, and while it wasn't anything serious, pain lanced up my leg when I pushed it too fast. I shook my head and glanced up, looking at the expansive country side. from what I could tell, I was walking towards Old Town. I had been there a thousand times even as a little kid, and even without landmarks I knew where I was heading. I'd lived on Black Island since I was born- fifteen short years ago. But when you grow up on an island like this, you get to know it pretty well.

I glanced longingly at an abandoned jeep as I walked by. I had passed plenty of cars while walking, but I didn't bother trying to start them. I, quite obviously, didn't know how to drive. The car would probably attract zombies, and I didn't want to be trapped inside without knowing how to actually get away. So it was a foot race for me. Within the next mile, I heard -and felt- my stomach growl. I sighed. I had eaten a toaster pastry this morning, but other than that hadn't had anything with nutrition. I was normally too nervous to get anything down. I decided to ignore it and eat later, walking in silence for a few more minutes. Suddenly, I stopped. Narrowing my eyes, I looked into the distance. I could see the outline of buildings there, and realized I must be near Old Town. After a slight internal debate of whether or not my current position was safe, I sat down heavily on the pavement. I had to make a plan. I assumed there would be bandits there, and I needed to check through what I had in case I had to bribe them into letting me go if they caught me. Being a teenage girl in a zombie apocalypse on an island that seemed to be mostly filled with guys was incredibly worrying. I wasn't helpless, though. I knew that.

I was pretty tall at five foot nine inches. I was athletic as well- I had been a starter for my basketball team at school. While knowing how to do a perfect free throw wasn't exactly a useful skill these days, it was the reason I was pretty fit. I also had been obsessed with zombie games for the longest time. Unlike my sister, -A pang went through me as I thought of her- I despised shopping and much preferred playing video games. Which was probably the reason I lived so long. I had a "What to do in a zombie apocalypse" book that was one of my most prized possessions. I took it out for a brief moment, looking at it fondly, before continuing to sort through the bag. I pulled my combat knife out and set it on the ground next to me, then took out my gun. It was a Rauser Rig, a type of handgun. It was empty. I had found it empty in one of the very first houses I looted. Some poor guy had blown his head off with it, and I decided he probably wouldn't need it anymore. I snatched it up and ran out not even bothering to check for more ammo. I hadn't been able to find anymore since. I zipped my backpack up and holstered the gun awkwardly in one of my belt loops, and I poked a hole in one of my pant pockets to act as a makeshift sheath for the knife. I stood up, took a deep breath, and headed towards town.

Dr. J and Darkstar 影 like this.
  13. Dr. J

Dr. J Survivor Backer

Aug 14, 2014
    I'm really getting in to the start of your story, @Stay Alive ... can we all have more? PLEASE

Stay Alive and Darkstar 影 like this.
  14. Darkstar 影

Jun 4, 2017
    "See anything?" I asked, keeping a hand on Jasmine's back. We stood atop a hill, her holding a pair of binoculars we found in a shed on the way here. She used them to look over Old Town. She kept looking for a moment, and then moved the binoculars up towards my face.
    "I see something ugly." She teased.
    "Rude." I retorted with a laugh, taking the binoculars from her hand.
    "It looks clear." She said, grinning. We made our way down the hill cautiously. I held her hand, and the .38 Snub in the other. We were entering from the far northern side. On the trip here, I'd planned out our scavenging route, we'd start by checking out the family homes closest to us on the Northern side, and then work our way South only scavenging the buildings that have a decent chance of having something we could use; The gas station, sheds and garages. We'd also stop to eat what I packed at the market afterwards, and then once we're sure there is nothing left there, we'll head back, and hopefully we'll have what we need.
    "Dad." She whispered, tugging on my hand and pointing towards one of the closer buildings. I followed her view, and then watched as an older undead man shambled out of a second-story window, scraping across the shards of glass in the shattered window, and then giving it's best to crawl towards us. We approached the slow-moving undead and I put my boot on it's head, keeping it on the ground. It tried to grasp at my leg harmlessly, and I saw Jasmine watching in disgust. She closed her eyes.
    "Baby. Open your eyes. You need to watch, this is how the world works now. This isn't the last time you'll see something like this. I know it doesn't sound humane, but you need to be ready to do this yourself someday." I told her gently, gazing into her hazel eyes.
    "We can't just shoot it?" She whispered, opening her eyes and looking back into mine.
    "We don't have enough ammunition, and didn't bring any knives. I have to." She watched as I pulled my foot off of it's head, upwards, and then slammed it down, blood gushing from it's caved in head. I pulled out my bright red boot, blood dripping from its sides. I took Jasmine's hand again, and we began scavenging.
    Through the process of scavenging, we found only one or two undead, surprisingly enough. I kept Jasmine close and dealt with the undead without much effort. Most of them had been locked in their house for a long time, and were extremely weak, mere skeletons held together by a few rotten tendons and putrid flesh. And on-top of that, after checking a garage, we found a pump for petrol siphoning, a crowbar and three empty fuel canisters, each able to hold twenty liters of fuel. That was extremely lucky, since Kurt demanded exactly twenty liters. We began siphoning vehicles from then on as well, which we'd occasionally find a few food portions in, and after not too long we had two full twenty-liter canisters, and one that had about two or three liters. After an few hours of searching I heard a deep growling to my right as we began towards one of the final garages, and raised my .38 Snub up, past Jasmine's face, and pulling her in close to me.
    "Did you hear that?" I said after a moment, noticing that I was aiming my weapon at nothing but a cement wall. She giggled, and I glared at her intensely.
    "That was my tummy." She giggled. I couldn't help but laugh out loud, my muscles relaxing.
    "Let's get to the market, we've got everything that we need, didn't find any ammunition but we've got all the fuel we need, and we can fill up the milk gallon at Baron Lake on the way home." I told her, I found myself shuddering slightly as I said home. We began towards the market in the center of town, pushing past empty carts in the parking lot, and still keeping Jasmine within arm's reach.
    I heard something move in the store as we walked through the already open door, and I pulled the Masshail Double Barrel from my back, putting the .38 Snub into my backpack's side pocket. Jasmine stayed beside me, holding her 1199 in both hands, shakily.
    "Don't be afraid, the gun isn't what's going to hurt you." I quietly reassured to her, glancing at her quivering hands. She took a deep breath, and we began clearing the aisles, shoulder-to-shoulder, slowly moving towards the sound. The main room was cleared, all the aisles were full of rotten foods, dirty water and a few empty ammunition boxes. Although as we moved between one of the aisles, I grabbed two dirty water bottles and stuffed them into my backpack. I wouldn't dare drink from them now, but they could be cleaned and refilled on the way back. As we moved into the back room, I switched on a light to the right instinctively, and wasn't surprised when no lights came on. It was bright enough, with thin windows along the top of the short back room, light filtered through, giving clear vision to the empty shelves that lined the room. Dry blood had been peppered across the walls, and a door to the left was locked shut and barricaded hastily with a piece of furniture. Although on the right, lying on the cement ground, thick dark red blood pooled from the corpse of a blonde dog, with an undead pulling the intestines from the animal and shoving them into it's bloodied mouth. Thankfully, it's back was to us, but I could see what it was doing, and despite what I said before, found myself putting my hand over Jasmine's eyes, who didn't resist in the slightest. I felt her eyelids brush across my palm as she forced her eyes shut, and I released my hand, exchanging the Masshail for the crowbar on my back. I raised the crowbar above my head, and came down with a very powerful swing, the metal seeping through the skull as if it were a hot knife through butter. It finally stopped about halfway through the thing's head, and after a moment of struggling to get it out, I ended up flinging chunks of it's head across the room, a few pieces landing on Jasmine and I.
    "Eeew." Jasmine complained, her eyes and mouth were squeezed shut. I tried not to laugh, brushing the gore from her face, and pulling it from her long brown hair.
    "Ew Ew Ew Ew Ewwww." She whined. I finally let out a quiet laugh and took her hand, as we entered the storage room/garage of the market. Which was easy enough to clear, since it was a pretty much completely open room with only the one entrance that we came from, excluding the garage door which likely was not operational. I had Jasmine begin looking through the cardboard boxes on the sides of the room, whilst I pulled out the two bags of Jaffa Cakes and single package of two Toaster Pastries that I'd packed.
    "Dad!" Jasmine exclaimed, waving me towards her. I jogged over to the box she was holding open, expecting a package or two of food. As I approached, I found out just how wrong I'd been. The box was practically filled to the brim with assorted canned foods. Preserved canned foods; Chopped Tomatoes, Clam Chowder, Chicken Soup, Green Beans and Sliced Beef were all in assorted rows, five of each! I tightly squeezed Jasmine into a hug, we both laughed out loud, celebrating as I pulled the food towards what I'd already left on the ground. We both reached in and began digging into the Clam Chowder. Laughing and talking around the flashlight I'd placed as a light source. It had been too long yet again, but we were finally happy.

Dr. J likes this.
  15. Stay Alive

Jul 9, 2017
    Twenty minutes of quick walking, and I had hit the very outskirts of town. I slunk through the alleys, carefully peering around every corner and treading lightly. I was more worried about the humans right now- the zombies were all inside. After scouting out the first part of the town and not being shot, I decided that there were probably no bandits in the area. That being said, I still didn't feel comfortable walking in the middle of the street, so I crept back into the alleys. I knew where to go first- the giant supermarket in the center of town. It was my best bet at finding food. When people are in a rush, they tend to overlook things. I knew there could be a potential stash of food somewhere inside.

My leg was also throbbing consistently, and while I wasn't too worried, I realized I would need to rest it soon. I also realized that I wasn't too great at stealth when I tripped and fell face first over a knocked over trashcan. The fall didn't make so much noise as the clanging of a metal trashcan did, but I still leapt to my feet, hissing curses through my teeth. I yanked my knife out and pressed myself against the far wall of the alley, staying as still as possible. I remained stiff and upright for five minutes, hearing only a single growl from farther down the alley. I let loose a shaky sigh, and turned to glare at the trashcan. I then realized I was glaring at an inanimate object and rolled my eyes, turning back around. I moved carefully through the alley now, approaching the source of the growling.

It was an unfortunate zombie, who's face had what seemed to be a climbing pick sticking out of it's eye. I grimaced, dodging around it's flailing hands easily, and with an incredibly simplified pirouette, stabbed it in the face with my knife. It slumped forward onto my shoulders, and I winced, shoving it off and onto the ground. I yanked my knife out of it's face and after a moment of consideration, grabbed the climbing pick as well. It was longer than my knife, and with a bit of wiggling, cutting, and difficulty, I managed to make another makeshift sheath in the hood of my sweatshirt, so the pick hung lopsided across my back. I walked the rest of the distance to the market with no difficulty, and sighed as I finally saw it across a parking lot. I didn't see any cars or bikes, so I headed through the doors with little hesitation.

I peered around, and groaned internally. The place had been ransacked. Even more than I thought it could've been. I grumbled quietly to myself, heading over to the pet isle. And as I expected, a few cans of wet dog food remained on the shelves. People were always hesitant to take these. I swept them into my bag, shaking my head. I despised dog food, but what else could you do? I was debating on taking dry food or just accepting death if it got to a point where I had to eat dry dog food, when I heard a noise. I straightened up immediately, my entire body shooting up straight and stiff. I turned around slowly, confused. I could've sworn it was-
    Laughter.

I crept towards it, until I found the source. A man and a little girl were sitting around a box, eating something. My eyes went wide as I looked at the box of food. Jesus Christ. That's more food than I've seen in months.

16. Dr. J

Dr. J Survivor Backer

Aug 14, 2014
    @Darkstar 影 - I'm 'living' your story now, can't wait for the next bit!
    @Stay Alive - have you bumped in to Dante and Jasmine in Old Town? I wonder how that might work out?
    Hope you guys are discussing what happens next via PM/DM :)

17. Darkstar 影

Jun 4, 2017
    ;)

Dr. J likes this.
  18. Dr. J

Dr. J Survivor Backer

Aug 14, 2014
    It's mid morning now, and Dan and John are fairly sure no zombies are lurking in the building we've occupied.
    The fox that triggered the shotgun trap was poor fare to say the least. We've put it on a plastic sheet and dragged it out to be left away from the building. Well, I say 'we', Dan did the work, I just covered him.

The shotgun in the trap has been cleaned a little. We used up the last of the cleaning kit doing it. Not perfect, but better. Dan watches as John resets it himself. Dan nods at the work, John is learning new skills. We are starting to bond, to trust each other more, to open up to each other more.

It is time to explore this little compound more, and to take stock of the night times attack by the hoard. First things first, can we still make a swift getaway? The truck is still functional, but the rear window must have had a shot go through it, and there's two bullet holes in the sides of the back as well. Nothing serious, no repairs required. It's all cosmetic , and who cares about that kind of thing nowadays?

We move to examine the zombies 'killed' last night. The stench makes me gag. If you've never smelled week old rotting flesh, you just can't imagine it. If you have, well it was probably ten times worse. I can't bring myself to go close to them. Dan is also struggling, but does get close enough to look at them. The poor soles, they were once human. We can't see anything of value on them, and we can't bring ourselves to bury them.

What is this doing to my mental health? Do I not even have enough compassion left to bury the dead? Has my humanity been so dulled by the situation that my mind has almost turned to only concentrating on the survival of me and the team? Enough conjecture, I need to focus on the tasks in hand.

We have four other single story structures to investigate today. As well as fortifying our little base camp over here.

It seems this compound was once completely surrounded by a fence, that may be broken in several places. We'll find out more as we explore the area. John thinks this might have been a domicile area for prison guards, somewhere a little removed from the main prison block they could relax and have a bit of a more normal life. Well, it's an island ... there's no quick way to civilisation.

Time to look at the other buildings, see what we can find, both in terms of loot, and clues

19. Stay Alive

Jul 9, 2017
    I crouched and shifted awkwardly from one foot to the other as I stared into the room where the man and girl were sitting. I glanced at the empty pistol my hand. I screwed my eyes shut, stood up, and stepped into full view in the doorway. “HEY!” I put the fiercest scowl I could manage on my face, narrowing my eyes. “KICK THE FOOD OVER TO ME, OR I SWEAR I’LL KILL BOTH OF YOU.” My eyes darted towards the little girl, and with a lot of self-loathing, I pulled back the hammer. “I’M NOT KIDDING. THE LITTLE ONE GOES FIRST.” Her eyes widened, and I briefly considered dropping the gun, before knocking that thought aside. I needed food.

The man scratched his chin, seemingly unbothered. “Hey, hey. Keep it down. Never know where the undead could be lurking. “ He said this as though he was asking me how the weather was today. “Nice stalling. Hurry up so I don’t have to fire a bullet into your head.” I snorted, rolling my eyes. He grabbed two cans of green beans and kicked them towards me. I stopped them with my foot, still staring down the barrel of my gun at him.

He kicked the third can towards me, which I stopped again. I saw him position his foot at a different angle to kick the fourth can towards me, and before I could ask why, it was suddenly being launched at my face.

I grunted, batting the can away from my face with my gun. But in that short time, the man had rushed me. I shouted and staggered backwards, trying to wrestle the gun from his grip. I pulled on the trigger, and I prayed that he hadn’t heard it click. Several times.

I managed to loosen his grip on the gun and get far enough away so I could lash out with a kick. He fell backwards, almost tripping, and I leveled my gun at him, ready to yell more about shooting him the face-

BANG.

I jerked startled. Did my gun fire? I wondered. I didn’t even pull the-

An excruciating pain shot up my non-bruised leg, tearing it’s way through my thoughts. I dropped the gun as my legs went out from under me, sending me to the floor. My leg throbbed and I screamed, clutching at it, my voice shaking and thick from repressed tears and pain.

“Jesus Christ!” I whimpered, hating how absolutely pathetic I sounded. “You shot me!” I looked at the little girl holding the gun in her hands in absolute shock. The man, just as surprised as I was, looked over at her as well. Except he gave her a reassuring nod, and grabbed my Rauser Rig before I could snatch at it again.

He stood over me intimidatingly, and I stared at the ground. I wasn’t sure if he was about to kill me with an empty gun, and the thought of that was making my heart beat at a hundred miles an hour. He raised the gun and pulled the trigger, just barely to the side of my head, and I flinched. He raised an eyebrow at me when it clicked, and tossed it into his backpack.

Then he grabbed my arm in a vice grip, dragging me towards his campfire. I yelled out again, the pain in my leg becoming near unbearable, my eyes involuntarily welling up with tears.

He deposited me none too gently in front of the girl, who he then sat next to, pulling out another gun. A 38 Snub, from what I could tell. My dad had been into guns, and enjoyed passing his knowledge onto me. He leveled it at my face, and I swallowed hard.

“This one isn’t empty. Trust me.” He said, staring me directly in my eyes. I wondered if this experience was akin to staring death in the face. I decided it was, considering how terrified I currently was.

After a few minutes when my heart was no longer trying to break out of my rib, I grimaced. “Since you shot me, agh-“pain flared up in my leg as I tried to move it. “In the leg… Mind sharing some of your food?” The man sighed, but rolled a can of sliced beef over to me. I snatched it up and tore the lid off with my fingers, scarfing it down as fast as I could without choking. The girl’s voice interrupted my meal.

“What’s your name?” I looked up at her, narrowing my eyes.

“Since you shot me, kid, I don’t think that’s any of your business.”

“But you tried to shoot me.”

I paused, and then shrugged in agreement. “Touché. “ Before I could open my mouth to tell her my name, I heard the man curse under his breath. I turned and looked at the door where a zombie was shambling in. I jerked upright, my eyes widening. It was coming straight towards me. The man picked up a crowbar before I could beg him to save me, and went towards it. I watched him beat it's skull in, and sighed in relief. Relief that quickly turned into panic, as more zombies than I could count followed in after the fallen one.

20. Darkstar 影

Jun 4, 2017
    I heard a noise at the door, and began to reach for the Masshail on my back immediately.
    "HEY!" I heard at the door, as a figure walked into the room.
    "KICK THE FOOD OVER TO ME, OR I SWEAR I'LL KILL BOTH OF YOU." I still fumbled the Masshail on my back, frantically trying to get it into my hands.
    "I'M NOT KIDDING. THE LITTLE ONE GOES FIRST." I froze, exchanging worried glances with Jasmine, who had frozen, placing the half-finished Clam Chowder on the ground slowly, and putting her hands up. I let go of the Masshail with a short sigh and looked up at the figure. It was a teenager! Likely not old enough yet to drive, yet she held a gun towards us with little noticeable fear in her eyes. I scratched my chin for a short moment.
    "Hey, hey, keep it down. Never know where the undead could be lurking." I said calmly, slowly reaching into the box of food. She snorted, rolling her eyes.
    "Nice stalling. Hurry up so I don't have to fire a bullet into your head." She retorted, as I grabbed a can of green beans in each hand, and put them on the ground, beginning to kick them to her slowly, sliding them across the ground with my foot. I reached into the box and grabbed two more cans, placing them on the ground, and kicked one over to her. With the next one, I took a moment to carefully position my foot underneath the can, and then whipped it upwards, toward her upper-body and face. As expected, she tried to push the can out of the way with her weapon, obscuring her vision for a moment, and redirecting the barrel of the weapon. I was already on her, and I heard the weapon clicking. She yelled, trying to wrestle the gun away. I held it off to the side, away from Jasmine and I. She struggled with more power than I'd anticipated, and with an unexpected kick, I fell backwards, barely catching my footing, I looked up at her, who was aiming her gun at me.
    A loud gunshot rang out, echoing throughout the marketplace, and likely through the rest of the town. Her face twisted as the weapon dropped from her hands and clanged to the ground, as her legs gave out from under her. She drew her legs close to her, clutching the wounded one tightly, crying out in pain. She swore colorfully, her voice thick with tears and pain.
    "Jesus Christ! You shot me!" She whimpered, looking like she was trying to stop the bleeding with only her hands. I glanced in awe and confusion at Jasmine, who was holding her 1199 with a shaky arm, the barrel still visibly shaking. I nodded at her reassuringly, since she was staring at me with a scared and unsure look. Jasmine lowered her weapon, and I took the Rauser Rig that the girl had been holding into my hands. I gave her an intimidating look as I stood over her. She adverted her eyes, focusing fixedly on the floor instead. I cocked the Rauser Rig and held it up to her head, and then just barely off to the side of her head, pulling the trigger. She winced, glancing back at me. As expected, it clicked harmlessly, and I tossed it into my backpack.
    Without a word, I grabbed her by the arm and started to drag her over to the camp. She yelped and twisted her arm, trying to escape my grip, but to no avail. A small trail of blood was left over where I'd dragged her. I let her go, and she jerked her arm away, glaring furiously at me. I sat with Jasmine on my right, the food on the left, and the girl in front of me. I took out the .38 Snub and aimed it at her. I wasn't going to bother tying her up, she wasn't getting anywhere with that leg.
    "This one isn't empty. Trust me." I said, staring into the girl's wide brown eyes. With her finally in decent lighting, I got a good look at her. She was a survivor, that was for sure, scars were scattered all across her body, and she clearly had suffered similar wounds prior to this, since she wasn't crying, just breathing hard with shaking shoulders.
    She glanced at the food box, then at me. She seemed to be debating something, then shrugged.
    "Since you shot me, agh-" She had tried to readjust herself, moving her hurt leg in the process.
    "In the leg.. Mind sharing some food?"
    I sighed as I considered it for a moment, but I could tell that the girl was desperate, so I rolled a can of sliced beef over to her, and she began eating.
    "What's your name?" Jasmine asked, after a few moments of watching the girl eat. The poor kid hadn't had the chance to talk to another somewhat 'sane' survivor for... too long. But I glanced at Jasmine with a gentle look and shook my head, gesturing for her to not talk. We still don't know this girl.
    She frowned and looked up from her food.
    "Since you shot me kid, I don't think that's any of your business." The girl replied, taking another bite of her food.
    “But you tried to shoot me.” Jasmine told her, sorrowfully glancing up into the girl's eyes, then back to the ground.
    "Touché." The girl replied, between bites.
    "F**k*" I cursed under my breath. An undead shambled through the door, locking onto the girl; who was bleeding on the ground, still unable to move much at all. I handed the .38 Snub to Jasmine, who held it with both hands toward the girl, who glared at her. I took the crowbar and slammed it into the side of it's head, it recoiled, hardly staying on it's feet, and I quickly followed up with another overhead swing, it fell to the ground, with blood spraying across my body and face as it fell. Then I glanced up at the door, and saw more of them spilling through the door. Dozens more.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    Dr. J likes this.