• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Player Created Lore

Darkstar 影

Lone Survivor
Backer
Haven't got too much word for what's currently going on in the story, so here's a bit of pre-Apocalypse backstory, shortly after Jasmine's mother passed away. I may be wrong but I think this is one of the first posts by me written in the third-person perspective. Tell me what you think, but I doubt I'll do much more from this perspective. Also, sorry it's pretty short haha, didn't want to drag it out much since it's been so long.

"Daddy! I'm home!" Jasmine shouted through the house as she closed the door behind her. She could almost feel her words echoing through the empty, quiet house. The bus accelerating down the street on the other side of the door.
"Daddy?" She said again, kicking her shoes off and hanging up her small pink backpack. She looked to the left and right, walking further into the eerily quiet house. A photo was on the ground, with shattered glass across the kitchen floor. Dante lay asleep with his head on the kitchen table, his face tear-stained and a half-empty glass bottle beside his hand. Jasmine tip-toed closer to him, shivering as she saw all the empty bottles and shattered glass in the kitchen and across the ground. But what frightened her more then that, was her father's face. He didn't cry, ever.
"Dad, wake up." Jasmine squeaked, tapping Dante's shoulder cautiously. He jolted to his feet, liquid pouring across the ground as he accidentally slid a bottle off of the table.
"Shit." He muttered, and then looked up to see Jasmine's face, a pained and terrified expression on her face. He looked away from her, at the countless bottles and glass, and then at the photo he'd thrown in his previous fit.
"Is it Mommy?" He heard quietly. He didn't move for a moment, his brain unable to immediately comprehend the question. Then he nodded slowly.
"Yeah. It's Mommy." He said with an overwhelming sense of sadness and disappointment in his voice. He bent down and picked up the picture, leaning it against the wall. It was he and his wife, before she'd had Jasmine. He cursed again to himself, and glanced around the house.
"I'm... I'm sorry baby, I've got some cleaning up to do." He said, unable to meet her stare. Jasmine inched her way to the living room, careful not to step on any glass.

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer

Darkstar 影

Lone Survivor
Backer
"Dad! Daddy wake up!" I rolled onto my side.
"What." I mumbled.
"It's Monday!" Jasmine hissed.
"Oh." I rolled back over and looked up at the alarm clock. It read 7:47.
"Oh!" I jumped to my feet, scanning Jasmine.
"We're gonna be late, get school clothes on and brush your teeth, make it really fast." I ordered, and closed the door as she ran out. I quickly changed into jeans and a black t-shirt, and raced down the stairs.
"Jasmine! Come on!" I shouted as I sprinted to the kitchen, pulling out two toaster pastry packages. Jasmine landed at the bottom of the stairs and I tossed one of the packages to her.
"Catch.. Alright go get shoes and your backpack." She nodded as she opened the package and dug into the pastry, continuing towards the door. I did the same, slipping into my shoes and pulling on a thin coat. I quickly fastened my watch onto my wrist as I held the pastry with my teeth.
"I can't find my backpack!" I heard, as I swallowed a bite of the pastry.
"Check the dining room, I'm going to start the car." She nodded and kept running through the house as I stepped outside.

Suddenly, I was taken aback as I caught a whiff of something strange. I stopped and looked around to see a plume of smoke in the air, looking like it was somewhere downtown. The wind was strong, and carried the scent all the way down to here. I shook my head and got into the car, starting it and tuning into the radio. Strangely, most of the stations were static, others on normal pre-scheduled programs, and only one that I could find was covering live news, but even it was very disoriented.
"The fire department is now arriving-... Several people injured-." I switched off the radio as Jasmine came out the door, who also looked up as soon as she came out.
"Come on! We're both gonna be late!" I shouted, closing my truck side door and opening hers. She got in and closed the door, and I reversed out, proceeding down the road towards her school.
"How late are you for work?" She asked, just now buckling her seat belt. I glanced over and buckled mine as I came to a stop sign.
"Well I've gotta drop you off and then head all the way there, will probably be about half an hour." I replied, she nodded slowly.
"You're going to be in trouble." She said with a smile and giggle.
"Oh man, just wait till they fire me and you're eating nothing but them toaster pastries, breakfast lunch and dinner." I said with a grin, she laughed as I sped down the streets as best as possible, considering the strangely high amount of traffic. I pulled my head down and looked up, seeing rain begin to gather on the windscreen.

Finally, I turned into the school parking lot, and it was raining very heavily. I pulled into a stop, and luckily, children were still filtering into the doors, with all that traffic we were far from the only ones that were late.
"Alright, you best get out there." I told her, scanning her over once more.
"Yup, see you la-."
"Wait. Ah, crap. You didn't bring a jacket." I shrugged off my overcoat and handed to her. As I was waiting for her to put it on, which was way too big, I looked out in-front of the school to see a man hobbling and limping down the sidewalk, towards the school and right past the truck. It was hard to tell, but it looked like he had blood soaked in his right shoulder.
"Woah, woah." I put my arm across Jasmine's chest, stopping her from grabbing the door handle once more. My face quickly faded to a serious look, and Jasmine's to one of curiosity and worry upon seeing me.
"What? What is it? I'm going to be late Dad." She insisted, but I unbuckled my seat belt.
"Stay here. Do not get out of this car, I need to make sure this guy is okay." I said, opening my door. Jasmine looked around, her eyes darting among the people to find who I was referring to. She nodded though.
"Hey, are you alright?" I asked, running up to the man, unfortunately getting soaked in nothing but my t-shirt. The man stopped in his tracks, moving strangely with his back bent forwards, his head hung low. He lifted his head slowly, and I saw that his entire upper body was blood red, and his shoulder had a strange wound, almost like a big, human bite. He moaned and spun around to reveal a bloodied lower face, and his eyes had a strange, lost look in them as he threw himself onto me.

Last edited:

Stay Alive

Idea extraordinaire
Backer
I was still facedown when our "saviors" made their way inside, but with a lot of pain and internal groaning, I rolled over and stared upwards at the silhouettes of the men. I was still hanging onto Jasmine, who I could feel trembling. I snuck a glance at her father, and for a moment was a bit afraid. He looked like an axe murderer.
"You are extremely lucky." One of the men said coolly.
"We wasted a whole lot of bullets on them. And you are definitely going to pay us back for those." I couldn't see at all with the flashlights in my face, so I held Jasmine closer instead to try and shield her eyes. If she saw her father covered in blood like he was, she might not be able to handle it
"Why'd you stop them?" I heard Dante say.
"Well we still need you of-course, we're still expecting the normal shipment, and we're expecting it tomorrow. Oh and throw in some more bullets for saving your ass, will you?" I was confused. What shipment? What kind of trouble had Dante gotten into? I felt my heart sink. Out of all the people who I could've tried to rob, I robbed the one with a bounty on his head.
"What do you expect me to do? I'm here with a child. I tried to get your shit, and this happened." Dante snarled. I winced again.
"I tell you what. You're right, maybe we are going a bit rough. How about this, we'll get our needs from you another way, rather than you scavenging supplies." The man said. I looked up, and saw a smirk stretching his face. It made me want to hit him.
"What do you want from me?" Dante said furiously. I wondered if he'd be able to get all of us out of here this time. I thought about my throbbing leg, and my heart sped up. He could leave me. He would have to. I didn't think these men would kill me, but somehow the alternative I was thinking of seemed worse. The man hummed briefly in thought, then after a few moments, raised his hand.
"Ah, alright, I know. So I will give you three options, one, give us the planned supplies, two, do jobs for us whenever we need them. Or three, give us that girl," I nearly choked. I didn't even realize he'd seen me, and now I would be used as some sort of currency. Jasmine gasped and grabbed onto my sleeve, and I subconsciously drew back from the men. "I'm sure my men would love to have her around. Do that, and we'll leave you alone for good." The man's grin widened, and I felt like I was going to vomit. I looked as pleadingly as possible at Dante, trying to get him to see me. If he saw my face, terrified as I was, he wouldn't trade me. But as I thought about it, I realized that he still might. That terrified me.
"What kind of jobs would you need done that you can't do yourselves?" Dante snapped. I didn't want to be relieved, but since his first response hadn't been "Go ahead, take her." Gave me a little hope.
"Oh no, it's not that we can't do them ourselves, we just don't want to, it's simply too much effort, plus I'm sure you could do them with ease, you seem perfectly capable." The man stretched and yawned, slinging his weapon back onto his shoulders.
"What. Jobs." Dante said more firmly. He glanced over his shoulder at me and Jasmine, just for a moment. I hoped he'd seen my eyes, and had enough humanity to leave me alone.
"Dirty work, to be put simply. We need some people dead, some infected cleared, some supplies picked up and delivered. Simple as that." The man took the rifle back into his hands, and I watched nervously as his men walked around the cabin. One of them glanced at me and I twisted and stared at a wall. I used to run track in school, and now I'd be lucky if I could hobble away. And somehow I thought these men were fast enough to catch a girl who had one good leg.
There was a few seconds of silence that felt like an eternity. Dante sighed. "Fine." A feeling of relief came over me so strongly that I felt light-headed, and almost laughed with relief.
"Great!" The man exclaimed, looking sickly excited.
"We'll start easy, there's a group that hasn't been living up to expectations. We need you take out one of their group, show them how serious we are about our supplies. And I tell you what, you can pick." He finished. Dante nodded and started to move around the couch.
"Where's the group." he murmured. I was still watching Dante, and I saw him look at me once more. By this point I was convinced he wasn't going to hand me to these men. The man nodded again and smiled. He was all teeth. "Here. I'll even provide you with the weapon. But we can't let you shoot us up, so I'll leave the weapon and a map outside your door, in five minutes you can come out and check them, any sooner and you'll meet an unpleasant surprise. Dante nodded and turned, very swiftly picking up Jasmine from my arms and setting her on the couch. And without a word to me, he lifted me as well. I noticed how he gently set me on the couch, and when I hissed in pain when he set me down, he looked slightly apologetic. But then again, I couldn't see anything very well. It could've been a trick of the light. Or lack thereof.
"I can do these jobs. But at some point or another, you're going to regret this." Dante said, his voice dangerously low. The man, who was on his way out the door, turned and looked at Dante with narrowed eyes.
"We're being rather courteous Dante." He said softly.
"We could've taken both girls and made you get the supplies and do the jobs. But we're good people, doing what's necessary to survive."
"You keep telling yourselves that, you know what you're doing." Dante snarled.
"You've got four days to do this job, and we'll check back." The man left as he spoke, dropping a backpack on the ground outside as he stepped over the broken door, peering in one last time with a smile.
"I'm going to kill him." Dante said under his breath.
"Daddy..." Jasmine squeaked, sobbing. Dante moved my legs to the side, sitting down next to his daughter. I glanced away. He reminded me too much of my own father. I heard her crying slowly trail off, which is when I thought it was appropriate to speak. "Thank-" I started, but Dante cut me off.
"I know." He said flatly. I looked away for a moment.
"You didn't have to do that. I appreciate it. I.. You're being kinder than most people would. I did try to rob you." He didn't respond.
"Do you want to talk?" I asked, looking at the corpses. It didn't seem like he did, but I thought it was polite to ask. He grunted.
"I just did all the talking I needed. Sleep. I need to go out tomorrow, and I need you to make sure that Jasmine is safe while I'm gone. And if you leave her, or if she so much as gets a scratch while I'm gone, I'll feed you to them." He threatened me. His threats scared me a little. Not because I was afraid of dying exactly, but because I knew he'd go through with it without a second thought. I didn't want to look at him anymore though- as much as he'd helped me, nobody liked having their life threatened. I dropped my head on the couch arm as best I could.
"Listen to me." He said. He took a deep breath, and I looked over at him.
"I'm not going to say this again. This is going to be rough, on all of us. Surviving isn't easy, and it never will be. We shot you, I'll keep you alive until you're healed. And then you can either stay or leave, Jasmine likes your company, and with these assholes, I need someone to look after her. I don't know, or care, what you've gone through, but I'm sure I can guess what kinda shit you've seen." I nodded weakly. I wasn't paying much attention at all. It was like a lecture in school- you pretend you understand what's going on, and that you're engaged, when really you'd like to just sleep. I could tell in a moment I would fall asleep- I couldn't even focus my eyes on him.
"Look. I'm going to trust you, and I need you to do the same." I nodded and said something like "Mhm." It was probably more like a sigh, but I was so far gone that I wouldn't be able to tell you.
"Now go to sleep. I'm going to block off the windows and door as best I can, and if I'm not here in the morning, breakfast will be on the counter." I nodded again. I heard him moving around a bit more, but I felt my neck get heavy, and eventually I fell asleep.

Darkstar 影

Lone Survivor
Backer
Warning: Crude Language and description of gore/blood.

The flashlights blinded my vision, and I moved my hands down slowly, both of them covered in blood.
"You are extremely lucky." I heard one of the riflemen say.
"We wasted a whole lot of bullets on them. And you are definitely going to pay us back for those." The flashlights lowered finally, revealing Kurt, and two riflemen wearing bandanas around their mouths.
"Why'd you stop them?" I said grimly, looking at all of the bodies lining the floor.
"Well we still need you of-course, we're still expecting the normal shipment, and we're expecting it tomorrow. Oh and throw in some more bullets for saving your ass, will you?" Kurt smiled.
"What do you expect me to do? I'm here with a child. I tried to get your shit, and this happened." I motioned to the corpses and blood. Kurt's smile broadened, and he fell into thought for a moment.
"I tell you what. You're right, maybe we are going a bit rough. How about this, we'll get our needs from you another way, rather than you scavenging supplies." Kurt grinned. I balled my hands into fists in frustration, I felt my face getting red, or more red at least due to all the blood.
"What do you want from me?" I spat. Kurt hummed briefly in thought, then after a few moments, raised his finger.
"Ah, alright, I know. So I will give you three options, one, give us the planned supplies, two, do jobs for us whenever we need them. Or three, give us that girl," He pointed to Max, who's eyes widened. "I'm sure my men would love to have her around. Do that, and we'll leave you alone for good." Kurt clearly was in favor of the last option, and I glanced briefly at the terrified girl. I sighed, and glared at the men.
"What kind of jobs would you need done that you can't do yourselves?"
"Oh no, it's not that we can't do them ourselves, we just don't want to, it's simply too much effort, plus I'm sure you could do them with ease, you seem perfectly capable." Kurt stretched and yawned, pulling the ARG15 onto his back.
"What. Jobs." I insisted, checking quickly on Jasmine and Max, who sat, petrified.
"Dirty work, to be put simply. We need some people dead, some infected cleared, some supplies picked up and delivered. Simple as that." Kurt grabbed the rifle once more, the men beside him beginning to pace impatiently.
"Fine."
"Great!" Kurt exclaimed.
"We'll start easy, there's a group that hasn't been living up to expectations. We need you take out one of their group, show them how serious we are about our supplies. And I tell you what, you can pick." He finished. I nodded, and then straightened the couch.
"Where's the group." I asked dryly. I couldn't believe I was becoming a mercenary for these people. And I still didn't know how I was going to do these on-top of keeping myself and Jasmine fed. I glanced at Max once more, very briefly considering the third option, but I knew what those men would do to her, and quickly shook away the thought.
"Here. I'll even provide you with the weapon. But we can't let you shoot us up, so I'll leave the weapon and a map outside your door, in five minutes you can come out and check them, any sooner and you'll meet an unpleasant surprise." I nodded, looking at the man with an awful grimace, pain grasping my arm as I picked up Jasmine, putting her on the couch, facing away from the men. I then grabbed Max, minding her harmed leg, and laid her on the couch beside Jasmine. The men began leaving, Kurt almost leaving the door before I spoke again.
"I can do these jobs. But at some point or another, you're going to regret this." I hissed. Kurt froze, his back to me, and then looked over his shoulder.
"We're being rather courteous Dante." A shiver ran down my spine as he said my name.
"We could've taken both girls and made you get the supplies and do the jobs. But we're good people, doing what's necessary to survive."
"You keep telling yourselves that, you know what you're doing."
"You've got four days to do this job, and we'll check back." Kurt left as he spoke, dropping a backpack on the ground outside as he stepped over the broken door, peering in one last time with a smile.

"I'm going to kill him." I said to myself.
"Daddy..." Jasmine squeaked, sobbing. I helped Max move her feet and sat beside Jasmine, letting her lean on me, and cry herself to sleep on my lap. She was terrified, covered in blood, although not nearly as much as I was. I did't notice just how much blood had gotten everywhere until now. I felt like crying myself, thinking about what I was putting Jasmine through.
"Thank-" Max began, but I cut her off.
"I know." I said simply. The only reason I couldn't bring myself to hand her over, is because I knew that to someone, even if they're dead, this girl has parents that thought of her as I did to Jasmine. And if anyone did that to Jasmine, I wasn't sure what I'd do. I stroked Jasmine's hair as she fell asleep.
"You didn't have to do that. I appreciate it. I.. You're being kinder than most people would. I did try to rob you." She continued. I reminded myself that I didn't know this girl, I found her snooping around in a Town barely a few hours ago. I did not provide a response.
"Did you want to talk?" Max asked, looking at the corpses. I shook my head.
"I just did all the talking I needed. Sleep. I need to go out tomorrow, and I need you to make sure that Jasmine is safe while I'm gone. And if you leave her, or if she so much as gets a scratch while I'm gone, I'll feed you to them." I threatened, refusing to meet the girl's gaze. She nodded and sighed, putting her head on the couch's arm. I paused in thought, and then looked at Jasmine, who was asleep, her face still wet with tears.
"Listen to me." I said, knowing that I needed to talk to the girl, at least a little.
"I'm not going to say this again. This is going to be rough, on all of us. Surviving isn't easy, and it never will be. We shot you, I'll keep you alive until you're healed. And then you can either stay or leave, Jasmine likes your company, and with these assholes, I need someone to look after her." I glanced briefly at her as she mumbled a reply, clearly on the verge of passing out.
"I don't know, or care, what you've gone through, but I'm sure I can guess what kinda shit you've seen." I was going to keep going, but the girl yawned, she was trying to listen, but after all that, she was exhausted. I sighed.
"Look. I'm going to trust you, and I need you to do the same." She nodded, and I did the same, the thought of how bad I was at giving speeches passing through my head briefly.
"Now go to sleep. I'm going to block off the windows and door as best I can, and if I'm not here in the morning, breakfast will be on the counter." The girl nodded and mumbled, barely, dozing off. I carefully stood up, and pulled a filing cabinet over a window, a bookcase over another, and closed the blinds on all of them, blocking them all as best I could. I pushed the broken door into place, keeping it there with two chairs. As I did this, I thought about how confused the girl must be, she didn't know who those men were or why they were here. I'd have to explain it to her eventually, but knowing Jasmine, I'm sure if it comes up while I'm gone, which it will, she'll likely do all the talking for me. I was tired of this and pulled a few corpses away from the couch, there were more in here than I thought would ever be able to fit. Finally, I checked on Jasmine one last time, and then sat on the cushioned, bloody armchair, falling asleep.

Last edited:

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
Oh yes, @DZS, a nice 'dark' story helping us all get in the mood for when STN launches.
Just one minor concern, the Ferrari 458 Spider is a two seater, and you have three people in it at one stage. Other than that, when can we buy your first book!

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
Darkness comes again.
With what is left of my warm bloodied thoughts, a remember seasons, a life before, friends and family.
I am almost complete in my transformation. Existence is easier now.
In the time of light, I hide in the shadows, sluggish and unresponsive.
In the Darkness, I thrive.
It comforts me, I move faster, sense more and gather with what are now my kind to hunt those who are not like us.
Not like us ... a distant image flickers across my memory. I was on an island with other humans? It is all too vague now.
I feel others like me close by, but more importantly, there are warm bloodied close as well. Instinctively, I move towards them to kill and then feed. I need to feed. It drives me, though what is left of my humanity arbours it, I do what I must.
Am I part of the new paradigm of what is to come?
I don't give that fleeting thought more time.
All I know is I need to feed.

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
It is hard now even to think of anything except keeping to the dark and feeding.
The call of my kind is too strong now to resist.
But during the time of light, something still stirs of what I once was. During those periods, a tiny part of what was once a human shouts from a distant corner far off in the distance of my reality. Too distant to overcome my urges, but like an itch you can't scratch, difficult to ignore.
It's screaming to me now as I lurk in the shade of a copse of trees, waiting the darkness, and the call of my own.
Yes, my own kind. Nothing of who I was can now be saved. It is too late for me. Only an ending of my existence can bring peace.
The distant voice is still screaming somewhere in what are left of my rational thoughts. Perhaps it is saying "They are coming soon, and then we can feast"?
Apparently the warm bloodied are searching for 'Keys' ??
It matters not now, because, like the prospect of rain caught on the breeze, I can smell them. They are so near ...

Darkstar 影

Lone Survivor
Backer
It is hard now even to think of anything except keeping to the dark and feeding.
The call of my kind is too strong now to resist.
But during the time of light, something still stirs of what I once was. During those periods, a tiny part of what was once a human shouts from a distant corner far off in the distance of my reality. Too distant to overcome my urges, but like an itch you can't scratch, difficult to ignore.
It's screaming to me now as I lurk in the shade of a copse of trees, waiting the darkness, and the call of my own.
Yes, my own kind. Nothing of who I was can now be saved. It is too late for me. Only an ending of my existence can bring peace.
The distant voice is still screaming somewhere in what are left of my rational thoughts. Perhaps it is saying "They are coming soon, and then we can feast"?
Apparently the warm bloodied are searching for 'Keys' ??
It matters not now, because, like the prospect of rain caught on the breeze, I can smell them. They are so near ...
I like it, always thought of the infected as a bit more(and less) human though. I'm not sure how close to the official vision this is but there's a fungus named 'Ophiocordyceps Unilateralis' I know thats not the actual virus but its close to somewhat of a zombie infection. Anyways there's evidence(As this is a real thing with mainly insects) that supports the animal is conscious, although not in control of their body. That's pretty terrifying, imagine not being able to do anything, not cry, not stop, just watch as you see yourself tear your friends and/or loved ones to shreds. That's the stuff of nightmares.

(If you're interested https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophiocordyceps_unilateralis )

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
Yes, I smell them, I sense them, and soon I will see them.
The warm bloodied are coming, and they have no idea how hungry we all are.
The cold days of winter don't effect us as much as them.
The nights are longer.
They won't survive, for we are many, and we are everywhere.

@Darkstar 影 , I was thinking along the same lines, a sort of infection that left some of the former persons thoughts around for a little while, but just sitting in the background 'watching' what their body was now doing, and slowly fading.

Last edited:

Stay Alive

Idea extraordinaire
Backer
When I finally fell asleep that night my sleep was plagued with nightmares. I was stuck running down a hallway, trying to outrun zombies that had my family’s faces, but I was moving in slow-motion. I’d reach the exit and open the door just to see Dante’s face, drawn into a signature frown, and I heard the blast of a gun firing. I always felt the impact of the bullet, but never the pain. Not until the fourth time the dream repeated. I got to the exit, pulled open the door, and jumped in surprise as I saw Dante’s face. But this time when he fired the bullet, I felt a terrible, throbbing, pain in my leg, and my scream of pain woke me up.

I woke up to Jasmine leaning over me, concern making her brown eyes go wide. She looked guilty, and it didn’t take long for me to figure out why. My jeans were rolled up to the knee, where the bullet wound was. I could see it was bleeding a bit, and I turned my head to glare at Jasmine. “Did you push on my cut?”

She looked unsure to answer, and I sighed, relaxing my face. It wouldn’t do me any good if her dad came back and the first thing she said was that I’d been mean to her. I had a feeling he’d drown me in the lake. “I’m not mad. I’m just wondering what you were doing.”

She shrugged, hesitating for a moment. “I wanted to make sure you weren’t gonna die,” She said softly after a moment. “You slept for a long time. So I wanted to see if your leg was yellow, cause that would mean it’s infected. And if it was infected I’d have to cut off your leg. That’s what dad told me.”

I raised my eyebrows. “He told you to cut off infected limbs?”

“Or shoot the person, yeah.”

I stared at her for a moment, and then shook my head. “You know what? That’s fine. Thank you for checking, Jasmine.” Jasmine smiled brightly at me, and I smiled back. “Do you mind looking around for some food? I’d look myself but..” I gestured to my leg. “I don’t think I’d be able to do much.”

She nodded and turned around, grabbing two silver packages off the couch. Jaffa cakes, I thought, my stomach rumbling. I haven’t had one of those in ages. Jasmine handed me mine, and then opened and scarfed her own pastry down within seconds. I looked down at my own pastry, and then over at Jasmine. Even with the crumbs of her own breakfast still on her face, she was staring at my own pasty with the look of a hungry dog. “Do you want that Max?” She asked after I hadn’t immediately eaten it.

I did want it. I was starving, and hadn’t eaten in ages. But the look on Jasmine’s face made my heart ache. “Not really. Here, you can have it.” I handed her the package, and before I could change my mind, she’d eaten the entire cake.

I swallowed hard, and had to take a moment to reassure myself I’d done the right thing, though my stomach disagreed. “Dad left this!” Jasmine said after a moment, leaning forward to hand me a note. “I'll be back by sunset, split the Jaffa Cakes, and keep quiet. Stay safe Jaz.” The note read in an untidy scrawl. I snorted, half rolling my eyes. No message for me. Like what to do with his daughter all day.

I sighed and looked outside. “Jasmine, how long have you been up for?” I asked. I could tell it was at least afternoon, due to the heat and the brightness of outside.

Jasmine shrugged. “Only a few hours. It was morning when I woke up though.”

I closed my eyes and leaned back on the couch cushions. I was still exhausted, and hunger was gnawing at my stomach hard enough to hurt. “Do you think you can keep to yourself for a bit while I sleep?” There was a no answer, and I opened my eyes to glance at her. “Jasmine?”

She shrugged, look hesitant. “Well what if you wake up and you’re a zombie?”

I rolled over a bit, ignoring the biting pain in my leg. “Shoot me then. Or stab me with an icicle, or whatever else is handy. Good night Jasmine.”

There was another pause, then a soft “It’s Afternoo-”

I pressed my face into the couch. “I know what time it is.” I sighed and squeezed my eyes shut again. Dante, please get back soon and get your kid.

Darkstar 影

Lone Survivor
Backer
I woke up early, carefully moving Jasmine's head off of my lap and onto the couch. I stood and stretched with a silent yawn. I almost immediately stepped in the red guts of a corpse on the ground.
"Damn." I whispered to myself, looking over the bodies that lined the ground. It was a lot more than I'd originally thought. I cautiously began to move all of the bodies into a pile outside of the cabin, and tried to scoop out loose intestines and guts, nearly throwing up on several occasions. After the bodies had been cleared out, I changed out of bloodstained black T-Shirt and pulled on an Orange Plaid Long Sleeve from the bedroom closet. When I wiped my hands clean of blood on the bathroom towel, I noticed something in the pocket of the shirt. I pulled out an old, scribbled note.
"I'll be back for Christmas -Susan" I whispered to myself, and left the note on the counter. 'Must be from before.' I thought to myself, sighing inwardly.
Preparing to take my leave, I stepped out front and pulled on the backpack Kurt left outside. In it was a Rauser Rig with one bullet in the chamber, a knife that I strapped to my leg, and a map, with a circle drawn in a green highlighter, next to it read "Crest Wood".
I left after taking inventory quickly, two toaster pastries, a can of instant spaghetti and Jaffa Cakes made up our entire pantry. The two toaster pastries I left on the counter with a note, which I ended up using the back of the note in the bathroom for, and wrote 'I'll be back by sunset, split the Jaffa Cakes, and keep quiet. Stay safe Jaz.' I finished, out of room on the small paper. Just as I went to leave, I kissed Jasmine's forehead as she slept, and walked out the front door, Rauser Rig in hand.
The trip there I made in what I estimated to be two to three hours, jogging most of the way, stopping occasionally and either sneaking by or stabbing a shambler in the head that got in my way. It wasn't until I was almost there that I realized just how hungry I was, having not eaten anything this morning. Although I wouldn't have had the time to make the spaghetti, so I shook the thought aside and kept moving. Finally I saw big metal sheets and plywood making up the outer walls of a settlement inside of it I heard voices, laughing. It sounded like children playing. I tried to ignore it, I was here to kill someone, to make an example. And if I didn't, it could cost Jasmine her life. Finally, after following the wall around for some time, I was spotted by a scout on-top of the wall, beside the entrance. Quickly, the woman raised a rifle to my chest.
"Stop!" She shouted. I nearly put my hands in the air, but knew I couldn't.
"I'm here in Kurt's behalf." I said bluntly. I could see her face fade, in disappointment and worry. She lowered the rifle.
"Coleman!" She shouted.
"One of them are here." She continued, then I noticed her glance at me, and it almost seemed like she was trying to keep from smiling. But she kept a very worried tone in her voice.
"Wait... how many?" I heard someone hiss from behind the door. The woman whispered something back.
"Shit." I said to myself after a moment, already dropping the handgun and going to my knees, as I heard the voices and laughing cut out violently. The doors burst open, and five people walked out with various firearms trained on me.

Darkstar 影

Lone Survivor
Backer
"Believe it or not I'm not with Kurt's people." I said before they could begin questioning me.
"I think I'll not believe that, thanks." A man said to my right, holding a 1911 trained on my chest.
"I figured." I said with a small exhale.
"Did anyone follow you?" Another man asked quickly, holding a suppressed Rauser Rig at his side. I noticed that he was the only one that wasn't keeping his gun pointed at me. His eyes darted across the forest surrounding us.
"Not as far as I know. But honestly I wouldn't know, there might be. Honestly there probably is, somewhere." I winced briefly as someone began searching me for weapons, and took the handgun from my holster, with it's single bullet.
"Take him inside." The man said lightly, still scanning the surroundings. They began trying to grab at my arms, but I shook them off.
"I can walk." I insisted, and followed a woman through the big wood and steel gateway. Inside I was surprised by the size of their settlement. They'd cleared out trees to use on the walls surrounding it, and there was a dozen small buildings within the walls, and one two-story building with a lot of windows, that had the glass removed. I saw people staring at me from the second floor through the windows, it was likely a watchtower of sorts.
"What's your name?" The woman that led me asked, and I realized she was taking me to the big building. I said nothing.
"Answer her." A man said, the same one with the 1911 from earlier, and he shoved my shoulder as I walked. If I were more sure they wouldn't shoot me, I wouldn't say anything, but they likely didn't have much to lose from killing me, they were clearly trying to rebel against Kurt, and I had no information to give them. I shuddered, careful not to show it, as I realized that they might torture me for information I didn't have.
"Dante." I finally said dryly. Immediately everyone surrounding me stopped moving, and one of them went pale.
"Take him inside, I need to get Coleman." The woman said, clearly in some position of authority.
"But-"
"Go!" She ordered, clearly not wanting me to hear whatever objection the man had. They nodded and quickly pulled me inside. I shook my head as they dragged me.
"Alright what is going on?" I barked.
The man on my left tried to say something but was hushed by the other man that dragged me. They glared at each other, and pushed me through a doorway, closing the door behind them. There was a desk with two chairs, across from each other in the otherwise barren room. I was briefly reminded of the concrete bunker that Jasmine and I were imprisoned at. Where I slaughtered what was left of the Black Hill bandits. I shook my head and sat in the further wooden chair, facing the door. My cheeks began to red with frustration. Did they know me? How could they? And was it a good thing or bad?
"I've got a lot of questions." I said to the two men who accompanied me in the room. They glanced at each other, both clearly unsure of what to do, one of them shrugged and opened the door to the room, then closed it after looking into the main room, shaking his head at the other man.
"We aren't answering anything, wait for Coleman." The man closer to me replied eventually. It was the same man that was snarling at me with the 1911 from before, and suddenly he was not so hostile towards me. I sat in thought for thirty solid seconds, and then the door burst open, startling me. The man who'd asked me if I'd been followed stood there, and left the door open, he was breathless, he'd been running.
"My name... is Coleman..." He said between breaths, holding his knees.
"You're Dante?" He asked, standing. I nodded slowly, scanning him. Coleman's face lit up with a toothy grin.
"He's gonna be ecstatic." He said with a laugh, looking at one of the men, who now also was smiling. I shrugged and shook my head.
"What the hell is happening?" I asked, beyond confused. I noticed no-one had there weapons out, they were pleased to see me and they definitely knew who I was. Coleman peered out the door and waved someone in, then glanced at me, motioned for me to wait, and then ran out quickly. I saw the woman first, the same as before, with a bandaged arm wrapped around her. She was aiding a wounded man into the room. Coleman was on the other side of him, opening the door wider to let them in. The man's face was covered by long, dirty blonde hair. He didn't have a shirt on, and was covered in bandages across the chest and right arm. The woman sat him in the seat across from he, and his breathing began to steady, as he looked up at me, his brown eyes staring at me curiously. And then simultaneously we recognized each other. He wheezed and slammed his fist on the table. I stood up quickly, completely stunned, tears began swelling in my eyes.
"Oh my god." I ran around the table and took him in a hug. He was tearing up as well.
"I missed you brother." He whispered.

"Coleman! Are you crying?" One of the men in the room exclaimed with a laugh. Coleman, standing behind us, wiped his eyes.
"No. It's... dusty." He said, shaking his head.

DZS

Survivor
Backer
Might have to post something new in here soon been a while. Got a story to post just not appropriate as its not STN related.