• Hello Guest,

Alpha v1.0 has been released on Steam! Bug reports can be made using our new in-game bug reporting system. Please consider joining our Discord if you need assistance.

-The team at a2z(Interactive);

Player Created Lore

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
I am starting to remember, or is that possibly hallucinations from lack of food and having to drink the only water available that's effecting not only my physical health, but my mental state as well?

Again, it is the notes I try to keep that will possibly help someone make sense of what happened here. I briefly met up with two other survivors, @WiseManNero and @DZS . We kept our distance from each other, I don't know if it was because we were so paranoid of transmission of any possible zombie infection, or just complete distrust. We are survivors, and trust is hard to earn in these times.

We got as far as talking over the walkie-talkies, and exchanging some spare supplies. Again, all at a distance. I'll drop things here and back off while you come and pick them up sort of thing. Guns were never lowered by any party. They were tense moments. But it was great to meet other survivors again.

The suggestion of trying to fortify a building together was not well received by any of us. There will have to be more trust before we can do that sort of thing. I admit I'm probably as worried as they are.

But in the conversations I had, there was one thing we all could agree on, a lack of memory prior to waking up with zombies all around. Is this just me spouting conspiracy theory, or is the missing information on the map of Black Island actually the site of a secret research facility?

Were we all part of an experiment that went horribly wrong, or worse, horribly right?

Is there anyone else left? Why can't we contact the outside world? OK, all the external links are down just now, but you'd think if it were possible, there'd be a flight landing at one of the airports.

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
A strange day today.

The zombies seemed more active in the daylight than I can remember. I don't know why. Could it be something to do with moon phases, climatic conditions, an environmental factor, an increase in the infection vector that started all of this? Or are they just getting used to sunlight and dying less because of exposure to it?

On the plus side, I taught myself how to create a basic wooden club out of scavenged firewood today. It took a few goes, and probably would only be good for defending myself against one zombie. But as the old saying goes, necessity is the mother of invention. It feels great to be able to craft more things. Especially those you can use to preserve your life. Am I relearning old skills, or discovering new ones?

Questions, questions!

Survival continues as it has from the start, find food and water, stay alive.

I say 'start', well, I mean the start of my recollection. I've still no memory of the time before the zombies. What did I do? Where did I live? Today I will try to gather enough supplies so I can make a journey to Addersfield airport, the biggest one on Black Island. Perhaps there I'll find some answers? Some back-up generators and a transmitter would be good. Or written logs of flights to give me a timescale? Possibly other survivors camped out at a site that would surely be the first point of contact with the outside world?

But the sun is setting, so time to find a secure place and once again, I must Survive the Nights ...

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
The days are hard, but the nights are harder!

I've been running low on food, so the search is on to replenish stocks. I've killed two dear today, and eaten all the meat. Yes, I was that low on sustenance. But the sound of the shots drew the zombies to me again. It was a narrow escape, just running like mad in the opposite direction until my stamina gave out and I slowed to a panting halt. All but one had lost me by then. I dispatched the last with a hatchet. But it did more damage to me. I need to get 'home' before the sun sets. That will mean skirting round the prowling zombies. It will not be easy.

My word, I made it back. The little house I've started to call home. Two zombies inside, despite my fortifications (minimal as they are). They almost did for me. Time to look after my hydration and bandage my wounds.

Perhaps tomorrow will be a better day?

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
Not a good day, today. I've run out of food, yet again.

With limited hydration, no viable weapons, I must again venture out. I did the 'cower and pray' manoeuvre again last night, but I can hear the zombies nearby.

Today may be the day I die.

As the sun rises, I can see some smoke on the horizon through the window, another sole surviving the nights? Sending a signal to others?

I need to leave this building to head out. At least I can craft a basic wooden club from firewood scavenged from a dead tree. I'll try to do that, then find some water and food.

But even in the daytime, the zombies are everywhere. I think they're getting more numerous . Is the infection (or whatever it is) spreading? Or are they getting more potent? Or are the survivors less able to defend against them, and getting 'converted'.

But I see more wildlife, normally dears and chickens … is what's happening only effecting humans?

So many questions unanswered.

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
Today was a good day, I have found more survivors, and they were all friendly!

It all started with discovering a note left by @DZS and @Onni Chan, wanting to meet up and pool resources. Alas, I couldn't get my radio to work properly, so we never actually meet, perhaps we will soon. Perhaps I need new battery's in the radio, perhaps we were out of range? Or was it just user error on my part?

But I'd been ranging a little out of my comfort zone recently, further away from Sage Creek. I bumped in to another two survivors, one wasn't interested in talking, but they didn't shoot me on sight, the other is hopefully now safe and sound at my little 'base' at Sage Creek. With luck, they will find it a good enough place to set up a temporary base camp for other survivors.

I'm on my way back there now, but while low on food, water and health (yes, the zombies are everywhere, and I only use guns as a last resort, it does draw them in like flies to the preverbal) . I should make it 'home' in a just over a day.

With luck, they'll have some answers for all the questions I have about what happened on Black Island, perhaps I'll have some for them as well. On the way home, I saw my first bunker structure.

Intrigued, I went to investigate. Well that is, until I heard a zombie inside. Then I just ran.

There is too much to learn about what happened here to jeopardise your own life on a whim. I must Survive The Nights so I can help others do the same. More so than ever as I discover other survivors in the same predicament as I am.

DZS

Mammoth
Backer
Was i dreaming? The Black Island parade seemed so vivid like it was yesterday. The marching band moved on past, a couple of odd floats advertising various businesses. I walked into a nearby bar to sit it out, a bit much excitement for this guy. What'll it be Jack? The usual, Charles. I paid the bartender he slammed a glass with some yellow tinted liquid down. Enjoy bud. Knocked it back as a float advertising life insurance drive by, fitting. Thanks Charles you always did make the best Adams Apple. Anytime Jack you know where to find us. Some poor overworked girl nearby was cleaning tables, as i sat there watching her pondered what it must be like to have an ordinary life raise a family all that stuff. Somehow i couldn't see it. The pursuit of the unknown, of science was more riveting more thrilling than any day to day drama life could kick up.

Gradually Jacks eye slid open. It was eerily silent in the church. Somewhere in the distance birds could be heard tweeting. Jack gradually got to his feet, scratched his head and stretched. Where to today? As jack sipped one of his water bottles a shot rang out. Then another followed by a shotgun blast. Jack burst through the front door, he could see a crowd of zombies in the distance ganging up on a stranger. Jack figured he'd have less than 10 minutes to reach the stranger, the guy was toast after that. Jack quickly bow'd at the pew thanking the good Lord for helping crossed his finger over his chest quickly stuffed the the sleeping bag along with all items from the survival cache strapped the bag on his back then ran out the front door almost forgetting the map. Pistol drawn safety off Jack moved in, the stranger was backing up to a wall as the small pack moved towards him. One hand with pistol the other free, as he got nearer to the stranger he could see the stranger swinging a baseball bat trying to fend off the approaching pack his spent guns strewn on the street. Jack ran past a couple of buildings on the outskirts of Sage Creek, the zombies had almost reached the stranger. Jack hammered at the pistol trigger pop pop pop three zombies hit the ground. The remainder turned to meet the surprise meal. Jack pistol whipped another cracking its skull it flopped to the ground with a sickening thud. He checked his ammo, 5 rounds left. Jack yelled to the stranger "Hey pal Run!" the stranger wasted no time in scarpering. pop pop pop another three zombies down two remained. Jack surveyed the surroundings. A ladder nearby connected to the roof of a two story department store. Jack fired again, missed. The bullet shot wide hitting a street curb zinging into a brick wall. Only thing for it now was to run. He lunged for the buildings ladder, quickly scaling up. The zombies reached for him. Jack was safe for now. It was time to crack some skulls Jack pulled out his trusty rod from the bag. Better save the last bullet for me.

Nearby another stranger was creeping, hauling his load of supplies back to base. The stranger Jack had meet reported back to the stranger hauling supplies. "Hes here"

Last edited:

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
An interesting week. I found and old copy of the Black Island Gazette newspaper. Some interesting stories in there from the days I don't remember. Could they all be true? Why can't I remember the days before there were zombies?

There's some interesting articles about the basics of survival, how to get started with living from day to day.

But the pages are somewhat stuck together. It will take me a while to get to a stage where I can read the whole thing. But this is an important insight as to what happened on Black Island, how those of us who have Survived The Nights this long have managed to do so.

Now, as the sun is just passed midday, it is time to search for food and water again ...