• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

POCKETS !!!!!

Thread starter #1

Davz Not Here

Backer
it was suggested i give this idea it's own thread (brought to you from a thread on item weight)

I want to be able to use my clothing pocket space .....

every game relies on 'pack space' .....

i want my pockets ..... all 6 of the ones on my pants, both cargo, left, right, front, and back.

and that goes for my hoodie too ..... it has 2 pockets
and my ski coat ..... it has about 10
and my military BDU jacket ..... has about 8 pockets .....

NothingsTRUE

Survivor
Backer
it was suggested i give this idea it's own thread (brought to you from a thread on item weight)

I want to be able to use my clothing pocket space .....

every game relies on 'pack space' .....

i want my pockets ..... all 6 of the ones on my pants, both cargo, left, right, front, and back.

and that goes for my hoodie too ..... it has 2 pockets
and my ski coat ..... it has about 10
and my military BDU jacket ..... has about 8 pockets .....
So like how Dayz already does it? A jacket has 4 or 6 spaces and pants have four spaces? Or are you talking about a more animated design where you have two blocks of space in each side of the pockets and you have to rotate the character around to view each pocket?

Thread starter #3

Davz Not Here

Backer
ya know ..... i hadn't gotten that far with the idea yet .....

honestly ..... i would probably (i think) just be happy with seeing them in the inventory rag doll ..... but i haven't put more thought into it than the OP .....

edit:

although seeing the pockets showing filled with stuff would be great,

Thread starter #4

Davz Not Here

Backer
ok so after some thought (and coffee) .....

i think each piece of clothing should alter the inventory doll ..... and not just how many empty spaces there are and where on the inventory screen they are placed,
cargo pants have 6 good pockets, jeans have 2 good pockets in the front and ok pockets in the back, slacks have 2 pockets and barely useful ..... etc.

and the doll animation should change to show pockets full or not and that should be visible to other players when they see you

the same would apply to shirts and jackets, though some jackets you can never tell, like ski jackets .....

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
I like this... its different to what you see normally.

I was thinking you could use this with the backpacks aswell because of the different pockets in them (if they have some).

From what I can see in these images each backpack looks around the same size but they all would hold a different amount of items, because some have extra pockets.

---

--

--

As for the inventory doll, I can't think of much now... I'll have to think of what I have seen works (in other games) and how/what changes would make it better...

Thread starter #6

Davz Not Here

Backer
I like this... its different to what you see normally.

I was thinking you could use this with the backpacks aswell because of the different pockets in them (if they have some).

From what I can see in these images each backpack looks around the same size but they all would hold a different amount of items, because some have extra pockets.

---

--

--

As for the inventory doll, I can't think of much now... I'll have to think of what I have seen works (in other games) and how/what changes would make it better...

..... /agreed ..... the old gentleman who originally owned my fixer upper was a hoarder like i had never seen before (1000's of books, ALL his mail from 1937-ish until the late 90's, old newspapers for 50). he was a 101st airborn medic, dropped on Normandy, and survived though the EU campaign. i have his back pack, which survived the whole thing. it's now a bug out bag (i suspect it's holding some luck and wisdom in a hidden pouch) ..... anyway it has 3 pockets a middle one (largest), and two side pockets

we also have his ww2 gas mask bag, and an early medic bag (not to be confused with the "riggers" bag c. '44 82nd AB div)

the gas mask bag is one big pocket with a shoulder strap .....
the medic bag is like the back pack, but smaller, with more, smaller pockets

i'll take some photos maybe and post them (or google image it) .... going to build a bird house today

Thread starter #7

Davz Not Here

Backer

the medic bag, obviously, ours looks different though, somewhere between the pic i posted and the "riggers" bag. it has more pockets than both but they are smaller (with a large bag) ..... can't find any photos of it, this is the bag my wife adopted for her bug out ..... the red cross is long faded

and this is the pack i have as my bug out bag. 3 pockets only, but the middle pocket is split into two pockets

and there is a gas mask bag (no mask) .... my sons mini bug out bag

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
..... /agreed ..... the old gentleman who originally owned my fixer upper was a hoarder like i had never seen before (1000's of books, ALL his mail from 1937-ish until the late 90's, old newspapers for 50). he was a 101st airborn medic, dropped on Normandy, and survived though the EU campaign. i have his back pack, which survived the whole thing. it's now a bug out bag (i suspect it's holding some luck and wisdom in a hidden pouch) ..... anyway it has 3 pockets a middle one (largest), and two side pockets

we also have his ww2 gas mask bag, and an early medic bag (not to be confused with the "riggers" bag c. '44 82nd AB div)

the gas mask bag is one big pocket with a shoulder strap .....
the medic bag is like the back pack, but smaller, with more, smaller pockets

i'll take some photos maybe and post them (or google image it) .... going to build a bird house today
I do have one myself abit like the first image, and its with a ww2 gas mask aswell :p ... this white one

That's me :p

Thread starter #9

Davz Not Here

Backer
and so ..... to bring this back onto the topic of pockets (specifically)

^^^ i have his ww2 jacket as well (more worn than this) ..... the "hand pockets" at the bottom are double pockets ..... normal stick your hands in pockets ..... and the flaps over those pockets are like cargo pants pockets

speaking of cargo pants

compared with jeans

and ski jackets (with xray view)

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
Your idea has me thinking of alone in the dark... the inventory in that was pretty cool and much like this, doing something along those lines would make sense in a game-play view with feel of realism that people want and like... at some point there may not be need for an inventory screen and its all about what you can see and reach.

Thread starter #11

Davz Not Here

Backer
..... and its all about what you can see and reach.
this is something that reminds of some of our house rules in pen and paper D&D .....

PC - "i reach into my pack and grab my dagger"

DM - "where in your pack is it located?"

PC - "ummmm ..... at the bottom of the pack under my bedroll"

DM - "so ..... in the middle of a fight you have the time to take off, and empty, your whole pack to find that dagger?"

PC - "Dexterity role?"

DM - " yeah? ..... no ..... "

Hey
Just had yet another idea which i think would be cool in STN. My idea is for when you have gear in your inventory in you pants or shirt/jacket. My idea is that say you had a pistol in your pocket of your pants, your pockets would be bulging so other players could see that you have a weapon. And for other items it could also bulge to show that there is gear inside. but when you have no gear, you pants just look normal. I think this would make interactions with players a little bit more interesting. This wouldnt work with a back pack though because there is alot more room and the weapon wouldnt be easy to see as in real life.

example of a pocket with no gear.

example with gear but with the shape of a pistol.
It might not be in the nature of where this game is going as it seems to be more of humans vs environment more than humans vs humans(which i prefer) but if the game was more based towards human vs human, i think this would be a cool addition.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer