• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Poison Ivy / Poison Oak / Poison Sumac

Thread starter #1

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
I just had the thought of having poison ivy, poison oak, and/or poison sumac in the game. It would be an interesting environmental "danger". These poisonous plants generally cause severe skin irritation (itching) and cause blisters to form on the skin. In-game this could have the effect of slowing a player's walk/run speed and container searching speed. Prolonged exposure could increase the effect.

Contact with any of these plants is treated by washing in cold water with soap, symptoms can be prevented by using rubbing alcohol if used early enough. Symptoms are treated with calamine lotion, oatmeal baths, or baking soda.

These plants could be used as chemical warfare. If the plants are burned the toxins are released into the air, and if the smoke is inhaled it causes extreme pain and serious respiratory difficulty (prolonged exposure can be fatal).

*edit* It might be a neat idea of players could plant these poisonous plants to create a natural barrier around their home to deter players. Zombies would likely be unaffected.

Last edited:

Ulrick

Backer
I like that idea a lot. They should also die in the fall-winter and not do anything. It should be noted that poison sumac leafs turn red in the fall making it much easier to spot.

Davz Not Here

Backer
I just had the thought of having poison ivy, poison oak, and/or poison sumac in the game. It would be an interesting environmental "danger". These poisonous plants generally cause severe skin irritation (itching) and cause blisters to form on the skin. In-game this could have the effect of slowing a player's walk/run speed and container searching speed. Prolonged exposure could increase the effect.

Contact with any of these plants is treated by washing in cold water with soap, symptoms can be prevented by using rubbing alcohol if used early enough. Symptoms are treated with calamine lotion, oatmeal baths, or baking soda.

These plants could be used as chemical warfare. If the plants are burned the toxins are released into the air, and if the smoke is inhaled it causes extreme pain and serious respiratory difficulty (prolonged exposure can be fatal).

*edit* It might be a neat idea of players could plant these poisonous plants to create a natural barrier around their home to deter players. Zombies would likely be unaffected.

+1 on the idea and i like the side ideas that go with (like chem. war. OUCH NASTY)

i wonder if zeds would be affected, they have skin, the oils irritate skin ..... it wouldn't bother them, but it might alter the zombie model over time as the blisters grew and popped

..... i just want to address one point .....

DO NOT take a BATH OR SHOWER, even with cold water EVER ..... the irritation is caused by the oils on the surface of the leaves. this oil gets on your skin and water (even cold) will spread it (more so as you try to scrub it off).

the best bet is soap, especially a de-greaser or lye based, both of which will dry the oils out. you then use just enough water to get a lather and let the soap sit on the affected area for 10-15 mins real time. this allows the soap time to break the oil down and THEN it's safe to rinse the area.

also, the blisters do NOT spread poison ivy ..... once the oils are washed off you can touch someones rash all day and have no worries