• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Power bank

Some sort of power bank system

• Total voters
Thread starter #1

Bcaskey04

Mr. Nice guy
Backer
I think that if you spend the time fixing up a generator to turn the lights on but at night you will most likely turn off the generator to not attract zombies what's the point? So if you can hook up a bunch of car batteries or something to hold power to get you through the night, I feel like that would make more sense then having it only be on when the generator is on.

Lt Snake X

ParaMedic
Backer
gotta take your pros with cons do i sit in the light and not go insane or do i sit in the dark slipping slowly into madness

M_Dawg

Officially Awesome
Backer
I like idea as long as the only way to charge them up would be using the generator at some point. There should be some drawbacks though. Like you can't use the power for grow lights or water. It would just power the house lights and the stove or something along those lines.

TheDwemerComrade

Backer
I like idea as long as the only way to charge them up would be using the generator at some point. There should be some drawbacks though. Like you can't use the power for grow lights or water. It would just power the house lights and the stove or something along those lines.
Well, these packs will be small, hard to craft and not hold a ton of energy. Not exactly that overpowered.

Thread starter #7

Bcaskey04

Mr. Nice guy
Backer
What I was thinking is that during the day you charge the battery bank up with the generator then at night you use the power you already stored.

M_Dawg

Officially Awesome
Backer
Well, these packs will be small, hard to craft and not hold a ton of energy. Not exactly that overpowered.
Exactly which would support the notion that some items shouldn't work while using the battery pack.

M_Dawg

Officially Awesome
Backer
Please, elaborate. Why wouldn't it work? Don't say for balance reasons.
The amount of car batteries you would need to sustain a 6+ hour night cycle for an entire house would be a ridiculous amount. When grow lights, house lights, stove, and a water system are involved so far. Does the fridge need power to keep food fresh also?

Typical battery is 12 volts.
Generally, household wiring is 120 or 240 volts

That is at LEAST 10 batteries and the charge time on something like this is unstated but when I dug deeper I saw a post about an air conditioning unit needing 120v of power would last less than 6 hours. So we can assume that the batteries at 120v wouldn't last a full night cycle. And you said yourself that this would be something small, so you're not even going to be able to use 10 batteries in something small. So the only obvious answer is that using this system comes with a drawback of being under powered. Drawbacks such as not having electricity to run water or grow lights.

Last edited:

TheDwemerComrade

Backer
The amount of car batteries you would need to sustain a 6+ hour night cycle for an entire house would be a ridiculous amount. When grow lights, house lights, stove, and a water system are involved so far. Does the fridge need power to keep food fresh also?

Typical battery is 12 volts.
Generally, household wiring is 120 or 240 volts

That is at LEAST 10 batteries and the charge time on something like this is unstated but when I dug deeper I saw a post about an air conditioning unit needing 120v of power would last less than 6 hours. So we can assume that the batteries at 120v wouldn't last a full night cycle. And you said yourself that this would be something small, so you're not even going to be able to use 10 batteries in something small. So the only obvious answer is that using this system comes with drawback of being underpowered. Drawbacks such as not having electricity to run water or grow lights.

Hm, thanks for elaborating.

Smittyry17

Backer
I did not realize how little car batteries can draw. Maybe it is good for summer you can just do basic lights to help with sanity. If we go this route than for balance make it inefficient? So you use 1 gallon of gas and normally it would produce 100 MWH but if you use it as a battery because it is being stored you only make 70 MWH. this way there is draw backs to using it. Energy is lost as it is transported and stored anyways. I think this would be good. (note the numbers I just made up for making it easier to explain)

Stromn

Backer
yeah they dont have much punch power either , so you cant run power tools off car batteries(dont think you could even run a refridgerator off them either as the compressor requires to much draw and would ruin the batteries). now a semi truck battery? or a motorhome battery? maybe they are 24 volts+. regardless you would also need an inverter or converter to turn it from ac to dc and back again. i had this same idea actually as i remember seeing it used on a TV show called The Colony. where a bunch of people had to scavenge and survive an apocalyptic end of the world scenario. they used a solar panel array to charge car batteries to power lights and simple electronics like a radio etc. so they could save the gas in the generator for power tool use for fabrication. good idea though i really think something like this should be added for certain.

Last edited:

StonefishStoner

Backer
None the less this is still a great idea! And I know its meant to be realistic but having the generator run for the whole day storing power I think should enable you to just power it for the night, it might not in real life but this is a game, don't have it run for the whole day then your power will stop running in the middle of the night! And when you think about it having a generator that you can only use in the day its pretty pointless as its, well, day and you don't need lights.

Lt Snake X

ParaMedic
Backer
None the less this is still a great idea! And I know its meant to be realistic but having the generator run for the whole day storing power I think should enable you to just power it for the night, it might not in real life but this is a game, don't have it run for the whole day then your power will stop running in the middle of the night! And when you think about it having a generator that you can only use in the day its pretty pointless as its, well, day and you don't need lights.
yea but you need your fridge and stove to cook and to run the pipes in the house to shower and wash and to charge things for use in the night

StonefishStoner

Backer
yea but you need your fridge and stove to cook and to run the pipes in the house to shower and wash and to charge things for use in the night
Yeah that's why I have voted yes. Though you better board your windows so the zombies don't see the light.

Lt Snake X

ParaMedic
Backer
well its not going to be able to power all of those remember what he said about how small even car batteries are