• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Power Plants and Substations

Do you like the idea of substations alongside power plants, or would you prefer just powerlines?

• Substations

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Power Lines

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Power lines which spread from substations

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

TechnoScientist

You Never saw me coming.
Backer
Sounds like an awesome idea. Maybe they could add items that are specific for that area or the zombies might be harder and mutated.

Crazypineapple55

The Official Bus Driver
Backer
Its a good idea, I don't know what kind of high value loot would be there but there would need to be some, or obviously no one will go there. But I do like places with high risk, high reward situations to them. I am thinking this idea could only work if the map consisted of a large island that would need something like nuclear power, from what we have seen from the videos the area looks pretty rural for the most part. If the island is also small railroads would not be needed either. Although I am not an expert on nuclear power, I don't think nuclear power plants are that common. (435 of them in 31 countries.)

Crazypineapple55

The Official Bus Driver
Backer

CmndrWolf

hmm I would think for loot uraineum or just for shits and giggles overload the nuke leer core and cause a massive but very bright explosion. gotta injoy the little things in life. lol

Toastmaster

Not A Racist Piece Of Bread
Backer
Its a good idea, I don't know what kind of high value loot would be there but there would need to be some, or obviously no one will go there. But I do like places with high risk, high reward situations to them. I am thinking this idea could only work if the map consisted of a large island that would need something like nuclear power, from what we have seen from the videos the area looks pretty rural for the most part. If the island is also small railroads would not be needed either. Although I am not an expert on nuclear power, I don't think nuclear power plants are that common. (435 of them in 31 countries.)
Nice amount of research. It's awesome to see a genuinely thoughtful post on here lately.
Also I agree that there would probably not be a nuclear power plant on a small group of islands

TheClassiness

Note: I made a discussion about this idea before, back on the old forums. Looking through the power station threads I've noticed nobody has gone too in-depth about how they would function, balancing, etc. With the now huge fanbase of STN, hopefully people will support this idea.

POWER PLANTS: My idea for power plants is for them to be able to provide power to a small amount of houses ranging from 2 - 16. They would essentially replace the small placeable generators and the ones built into buildings, and instead have all the power be reliant on the power station. This itself would seem quite overpowered, but the power station itself would start out absolutely covered in zombies. Clearing it out would involve having to kill around 60 - 120 zombies (As long as the engine can handle it, of course) and requiring a large group and co-operation.

Once you cleared out the entire plant, almost every machine inside would be destroyed. You'd need to find a considerable amount of parts for each generator, and be sure to keep everything in working order. The generators inside would make much more noise than the normal ones, so having multiple running would attract more zombies than you'd expect. Each generator would provide a certain amount of power, so if you could only repair a small portion of the power plant you could still use it. The first generator would most likely be enough to power the lights of the actual plant, but nothing else. Eventually you'd repair the entire place and be able to power plenty of substations.

CONTROL: With this much power you should be able to control it. There would be a central control panel in the power plant, which has a row of switches. Each switch controls their respective generator which would turn them on or off. This control panel is very vague, it will only turn on the generators, and perhaps a kill switch, turning off all the generators. This is not recommended though, as you'll have to go to each individual substation and turn them back on. Just because the generators are working doesn't mean the substations are.

SUBSTATIONS: Substations are essentially your specified control panels. They take the power you're making from the generators in the power plant, and give it to the houses. Without an operating substation, you will not be able to utilize the power you are producing. Each substation will power the houses around it (2 houses - 6 houses) and will decide who gets power and who doesn't based on a control panel on it. The control panel will be similar to the one found in the power plant, except each switch controls the flow of power to a certain house. If you flip switch one, the house specified as "one" will be given power, which you will have to find out by yourself. Keep in mind, substations will require maintenance of their own, although not near as much as the central power plant, so regular visits or relying on the community will be required. Along with that substations are soundless, ensuring zombies will not be attracted.

INTERACTION POTENTIAL: With this you would have a huge amount of player interaction. You could have a variety of situations revolving around this idea. The people keeping the power station running the power station have an advantage over players relying on them. If you were to do anything to make them angry, they could shut off all of your power with the flip of a switch. Maybe the group running it has decided to charge people for power. You need to bring them food or water every week, or you'll be freezing in the dark. Not happy about that? You're always welcome to gather up a few people and take the plant from them. If the plant proves too difficult, simply break through the lock and capture your substation. That'll keep them from shutting off your power, unless they want to reset every single substation in order to keep you from getting it. This may not seem like a big deal, you always have your generator in your building, but now you have to fuel it by yourself. The noise coming from your generator draws more zombies to you, not the people at the power plant. The idea behind this is to make mini-societies, small pockets of survivors working together towards the same goal. Adding this could bring such a large amount of situations it's impressive.

If there's anything I didn't cover, or any mistakes I made, feel free to tell me.

peterpiper007

If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn?
Backer
Per the power plant in a rural area - I believe that's fairly common as transmission lines and transfer stations allow wide distribution, and nobody wants a meltdown near a city. Didn't the devs say they would eventually incorporate a proper medium-large sized city too? It would then make sense to have a nuclear or other power plant of scale en route there. Personally I like the idea, and it could definitely have some major loot advantages, such as:

- lead-lined hazmat suits (think of the protection from zombie bites / infection!)
- municipal grid supplies (transformers, large portable generators, spools of transmission wire, and loads of tools)
- hazmat trucks (again, lead lined and built like a brick)
- hazmat barrels (sounds silly, but these are encased in lead and could be used for ammo reloading supplies, secure storage, or filled with dirt and made into bulletproof barricades!)
- a fully stocked medical station
- security check points and a security station (good weapons and armor, also could be a neat place to find security dogs!)
- a fully stocked fire station (little known fact about larger reactors, also a good source of high pressure hoses and tools)
- handheld scientific devices (Geiger counters, water, soil, and air contamination kits, metal detectors, large portable radio units, etc)
- definitely a train station or loading dock as irradiated coolant water and used up fissionable material must be shipped away for underground storage.

Really, it could be a goldmine to the savvy scavenger! I like this suggestion a lot and think it could really contribute to the game's immersion.

That said, one element of virtually every zombie apocalypse story that always eats at me is the nuclear reactor question. Although most internal functions could take months before requiring human adjustments, potentially staving off meltdown for quite a long time, reactors are built next to water for a reason. There is an entire profession of 'radiation divers' who are essential on a weekly basis for clearing away clogs and making turbine repairs underwater, lest the reactor not receive their nourishing coolant goodness and kill us all. So, in such stories does every government manage to shutdown every reactor responsibly (a process which takes months per reactor), or are we to suspend our disbelief? Sorry if off topic, it's just ALWAYS bothered me!

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
I would like to see a Reactor as long as they added a fairly large city as apart of the map as said above. I always liked the idea of hazardous areas when treasure hunting ever since playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. . Like Stalker the areas could have some good loot and the hazardous areas or the plant itself could be used as a buffer zone between clan bases like the Monolith Faction. A well put together group with the right equipment could be rewarded by having their home unmolested by any new survivor that wanders by. It would also be really cool to see two waring clans each with a base on the other side of the reactor or a irradiated zone fighting for control, each group equipped with a assortment of pre and post apocalyptic protective clothing. Zombies might also not be as effected by irradiation then living people so there might be a large gathering of the undead in irradiated areas since there are no people to kill them(although there is also nothing to eat so who knows).(Also on a joking note what about glowing zombies)

@peterpiper007 I like all of the items you thought of(hell yeah on the guard dogs although they might glow a bit), there would also probably be a lot of tools for maintenance also what do you think about military supplies I am just going off the top of my head but I would think that during a crisis the gov't might send forces to protect key utility installations. On the reactor leaking I think that a lot of the new reactors have failsafes in case of a leak but the older ones are still capable of bad leaks, I have talked about this subject with people on other similar survival games and I think there are extenuating circumstances that would allow for a leak on a newer reactor like a natural disaster or a attack by a independent group or even by the islands own military on accident things can go FUBAR really quickly so I think it would be possible.

mushdigger

Master Blaster
Backer
hmm I would think for loot uraineum or just for shits and giggles overload the nuke leer core and cause a massive but very bright explosion. gotta injoy the little things in life. lol
That Grammar... Also the looting of uranium and the overloading of the Nuclear Core would cause extreme lag, would be unfair and would not be added.

mushdigger

Master Blaster
Backer
Per the power plant in a rural area - I believe that's fairly common as transmission lines and transfer stations allow wide distribution, and nobody wants a meltdown near a city. Didn't the devs say they would eventually incorporate a proper medium-large sized city too? It would then make sense to have a nuclear or other power plant of scale en route there. Personally I like the idea, and it could definitely have some major loot advantages, such as:

- lead-lined hazmat suits (think of the protection from zombie bites / infection!)
- municipal grid supplies (transformers, large portable generators, spools of transmission wire, and loads of tools)
- hazmat trucks (again, lead lined and built like a brick)
- hazmat barrels (sounds silly, but these are encased in lead and could be used for ammo reloading supplies, secure storage, or filled with dirt and made into bulletproof barricades!)
- a fully stocked medical station
- security check points and a security station (good weapons and armor, also could be a neat place to find security dogs!)
- a fully stocked fire station (little known fact about larger reactors, also a good source of high pressure hoses and tools)
- handheld scientific devices (Geiger counters, water, soil, and air contamination kits, metal detectors, large portable radio units, etc)
- definitely a train station or loading dock as irradiated coolant water and used up fissionable material must be shipped away for underground storage.

Really, it could be a goldmine to the savvy scavenger! I like this suggestion a lot and think it could really contribute to the game's immersion.

That said, one element of virtually every zombie apocalypse story that always eats at me is the nuclear reactor question. Although most internal functions could take months before requiring human adjustments, potentially staving off meltdown for quite a long time, reactors are built next to water for a reason. There is an entire profession of 'radiation divers' who are essential on a weekly basis for clearing away clogs and making turbine repairs underwater, lest the reactor not receive their nourishing coolant goodness and kill us all. So, in such stories does every government manage to shutdown every reactor responsibly (a process which takes months per reactor), or are we to suspend our disbelief? Sorry if off topic, it's just ALWAYS bothered me!
I agree with this most people do not understand how loaded nuclear reactors are, they have to be self sustaining because of how vital and how dangerous they are and are filled with Hazmat uniforms, Respirators, Medical both basic, advanced, and radiation supply's, fully stocked mess hall, a self sustainable fire hall, detection and decontamination devices, and after 9/11 all of them are HEAVILY armed with Private Military Contractors so a armory. Also with the contamination of the landscape around the are of the reactor in the event of a major mishap or fail of infrastructure they would cool it, insert control rods, turn off the reactor and would if needed seal it which should end the danger.

LiterallyCamperGoSTN

Peace soldier in undead times.
Agree with the power station. The radiation from the zone would be a good excuse for Hazmat suits to be in the game and looted inside the place, not to mention anti-radiation shots or pills. Maybe a military zone under the power station to make it a high loot zone. Entering the place without a hazmat suit will make bandits think twice before going underground for easy loot.

+1

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
I really hope this gets added in I think it would be really interesting, I wonder where it should be located. I think a island like Three MIle Island only larger would be really cool. It would be a really high lvl island with a large complex and a couple cooling towers like Mira Oister first described. If it was a large island some additional industrial/security complexs around the site would be really cool to have, the largest clans would use them as bases. Like I described in my earlier post the plant and a certain area around it could also act as a buffer besides a dangerious high value loot zone. The only easy way for one complex to attack an other would be from the water, if not it means a long trek across the island through the contaminated zone with special protective gear.

I would also like to see contaminated zombies, it would be really dangerious to get to close to them and any attack on a player would cause infection and iradiation. It would also be cool if they could give the zombies a light glow, so far I have read that the radiation alone wont do it and that it needs to react with materials called scintilator's. These materials absorb radiation and emit a visible light, so to have glowing zombies we would need a material in or around the power plant that the zombies could be coverd in. The best material I can find would be depleated Zinc Oxide which is used to prevent corrosion in some nuclear reactors. I would like to hear whaat you guys think, there could be a leak in the reactor and prehaps the zombies could be covered in depleated zinc oxide.

Also on the subject of items that you could obtain in and around a nuclear power plant if we are assuming there has been some leak and the area is contaminated then the items we loot would also be contaminated. This means if we don't want to die slowly while using a item then we would have to extensivly clean the object. I noticed there are craft times so I think it should a have decent length of time to clean the object.

JoshGaarax3

Backer
Well the title is clear how about a power plant or a hydroplant since we're on the island but question is, where does it get its power? not every building is powered by its own generator (right?) so either we could have a small waterfall area with a hydro power plant in the form of a dam its a bridge and a base all in one or with the first idea with it being a standard powerplant it wont work but its a big area with a big fence around it so it should hold things out decently.

JB_

Developer
Developer