• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Power Station, Hydro Dam, Wind Turbine ect.

Thread starter #1

gamejunkie25th

Backer
Before You start judging this post I created all of these ideas with player interaction in mind....

Also to know how much electricity you have to use there could be a gauge on the repair menu that shows its output and each appliance could have a total Watt usage...

Ways to share power with your fellow surviors... It would have a few catches though...

Solar Panels: A power source you could keep to yourself or share with your fellow survivors... Lowest Outage, Lowest Parts, No Sound

Personal Wind Turbine: A power source that you could keep to yourself or share with your fellow survivors... No-Medium outage (wind based), Medium Parts, Low Sound...

Power Station: A power source that when turned on would give electricity to all survivors attached to the grid... High Outage, Medium Parts, Very Loud (Would require wood or coal to burn)

Hydro Dam: Again a power source that would connect all on the grid... Medium Outage, High Parts, Medium Sound

Large Wind Turbine: A power source that when turned on would provide power to all connected... Low-Highest outage (wind based), Very High Parts, Lowest Sound

The Catch(es):

Power Lines: You (as the person receiving the power) would have to fix all broken power lines leading to your house... (Can be snipped by bandits for raiding)

Power Poles: If there is a broken power pole somewhere along the line you (and your fellow survivors) would have to replace it with say maybe a large tree trunk... (If hit with vehicle will fall and stop flow of power)

Overload: Exactly as you think... Too many people using too much electricity at one time... Machine overloads breaking X amount of parts and it needs to be fixed...

Now keep in mind all of the large stations would be captureable by anyone so if a bandit group gets one of these stations it could stop power for part if not all of the island(s)..

Thread starter #3

gamejunkie25th

Backer
Power sources such as these have been brought up before but I'll leave this up for now.
I know about the sources being brought up before, but the main point was the fact that they could be destroyed by lines/poles down or an overload on the system

Thread starter #5

gamejunkie25th

Backer
A thing I would like to see included with this then are power trucks you see, which would have the ability to carry the equipment needed to repair power lines.
Example: View attachment 422
I just thought maybe stealing copper wire off of that kind of truck or by taking it directly from the power station... You would have to climb a ladder up to the pole and rewire it to the next pole

M_Dawg

Officially Awesome
Backer
I think power should be something everyone needs to get themselves. A power grid just isn't realistic. I could see maybe an entire outpost being powered off one or two generators but never a central power plant to give power to multiple places.

TheDwemerComrade

Backer
I think power should be something everyone needs to get themselves. A power grid just isn't realistic. I could see maybe an entire outpost being powered off one or two generators but never a central power plant to give power to multiple places.
Maybe, it depends. A bunch of bandits might get together and hole in the power plant keeping everything to themselves while a group of heros might supply power to as much good people as they can. It also works out if you're trying to form a 'government'.

Thread starter #8

gamejunkie25th

Backer
This wouldn't be an easy task to do but it would be rewarding... Each power plant would be SWARMING with zombies as they would have been running at some point and made noise.... The plant wouldn't be easy to fix either 10-20 parts in the machine that would be relatively rare... Also YOU wouldn't recieve the power unless the lines and poles from the plant to your house were connected... So if this was implemented there would be power for all and the zombies would only be attracted to the plant making it eaiser to defend your house...

Thread starter #9

gamejunkie25th

Backer
Also you could still get a generator and hold power to yourself it would just be noisy and attract zombied

M_Dawg

Officially Awesome
Backer
I very much understand the scope of the suggestion. I don't like the core principal of bringing electricity to the masses. That should be left to small groups or single players. Using things like generators.

Thread starter #11

gamejunkie25th

Backer
Ok... To each their own... I was as I stated just thinking of ways to make electricity player interactive

DavidLeon1

Backer
Assume a group of survivors took the power station. And some people need power so they ask the people at the power station if they can have power. The people at the power station say sure if you pay us (Item) every (Week, Month, year etc). I would like to see some sort of economy like this. This can be similar to an electric bill also, but Its trading.

Bhikshu

Backer
The power grid would already exist, and if you didn't want anything to do with the group controlling the power station, just use a generator. This really brings to mind how big is this going to be? how many players per server? are we talking 2-10 or 32-64? I honestly haven't seen anything on that yet. I think central power would make sense on a huge map(state of decay big) with lots of players.

Davz Not Here

Backer