• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Pre-constructed wall segments (not for building a house)

Thread starter #1

Sam00197

Sam '00197' Monahan
Backer
How about a pre-constructed panel, similar to the ones used in mobile homes, that could be screwed in over door frames and windows to block them? As they are thin and made of plasterboard/wood it would be relatively easy to break through but would create a lot of noise!. All though this may not benefit strength wise it would server as a visual block/deterrent for zombies and players. You can be scared of what you cant see ;)

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
You may need to elaborate more on the idea of the wall segment to me as I am abit confused, do you mean just sheets of plywood/MDF and plasterboard... these I could see being in-game like sheets on a pallet in a warehouse or construction site. but not pre-constructed as a wall.

Not sure if I am in the right ball park or not :p

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
That's what I was thinking... hmmm I would say that there would be nothing wrong with having them in, but my only concern would be that its swaying more toward base building than fortifying or that's what people would then want... I do like the idea if you could use them in conjunction with an existing outside wall to make the perimeter of your base bigger.

Thread starter #5

Sam00197

Sam '00197' Monahan
Backer
That's what I was thinking... hmmm I would say that there would be nothing wrong with having them in, but my only concern would be that its swaying more toward base building than fortifying or that's what people would then want... I do like the idea if you could use them in conjunction with an existing outside wall to make the perimeter of your base bigger.
I was thinking more using them inside a building to cover doors and windows :p

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
That too, providing you can get them in :p... or would you have a restriction to what building they would go in (size wise)?... like a warehouse unit or around the ground floor of a shopping mall this is if your collecting them pre-made from somewhere.

Thread starter #7

Sam00197

Sam '00197' Monahan
Backer
That too, providing you can get them in :p... or would you have a restriction to what building they would go in (size wise)?... like something with big metal shutters or around the ground floor of a shopping mall this is if your collecting them pre-made from somewhere.
yeah that's the idea, they are already existing so they only fit in certain sizes :p they are to flimsy to stand as a free structure :p

Moderator #8

DemoCar82

This is it... the apocalypse.
Community Mod
Backer
Good thought, but I think it takes the complexity and struggle out of the game to acquire planks to cover windows and such.

I feel it makes things "too easy" per say. And Like @Num47 said, for this game would be getting too close to actual base building. Maybe it's just me? :D

Thread starter #9

Sam00197

Sam '00197' Monahan
Backer
Good thought, but I think it takes the complexity and struggle out of the game to acquire planks to cover windows and such.

I feel it makes things "too easy" per say. And Like @Num47 said, for this game would be getting too close to actual base building. Maybe it's just me? :D
No I see your point, what if they were only useable on things such as glass store fronts? + the increased rarity and difficulty to transport would balance them out?

SpaceBaldy

Player and part-time fruit bat
Backer
Interesting idea although panels tend to be large and unwieldly. Usually erected by either a crane (as they need bracing from above with floor members) or several people as a single storey wall. Transport is also an issue if they are not made insitu.

I don't think they'll be a low loaders (trucks) or cranes in the game; in an apocalypse they''d be too large and too fuel hungry to be of any use other than as barriers.

Improvised boarding that can be manually handling in place would be more realistic, e.g. sheets of ply, 2x4's, corrigated metal sheeting (as in the STN concept videos). Found a board? Nail it over the window as it may stop the Zeds getting in - do I care if its not a perfect fit....nope.

Personally, I hoping for weathered and beat up defences that look improvised rather than something that looks like it actually needed craftsmanship to make.