1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Procedural Generation

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Dr. Reaper, Nov 6, 2017.

Should Survive the Nights have a procedural generated map?

1. Yes

25.0%
  2. Maybe

25.0%
  3. No

50.0%
  1. Dr. Reaper

Dr. Reaper Member Backer

Aug 15, 2017
    Okay, lets start this "loud conversation." I had been thinking about this idea ever since the game "The Dead Linger" came out. TDL was a breakthrough in my mind, and brought a new perspective to games into my brain. The developers (Sandswept Studios) brought the idea of procedural generation the survival game franchise, and it may not seem good, but hold your fire and hear me out. In survival games, have you noticed that no matter how much is on a static map, people always go for where they can get an advantage over everyone else? i.e Going to high loot areas and high vehicle spawns if any. And, people start to learn the maps as well, making websites or such dedicated to showing where to go. Although, if you have randomly spawning zones around you, you cannot know exactly where to go, or even know the route to get there. In addition, when you design a map by hand and decide where every box and tire goes, people will not fully appreciate that all the time. This is definitely apparent when people know where to go, because they will just bypass that part of the map you worked so very hard on, not even knowing it was there.

Now with all that being said, I will start by saying how I imagine this if a2z Interactive ever feels that what they are doing is not wanted, and just change gears. (Obviously they wont)
    • Almost like a zoning system, where there is a zone for towns, cites, etc.
    • (IDK about this one) Having a minecraft-like world generation, where everything is in chunks and zones could be a chunk or spawn in them or whatever.
    • roads connecting chunk to chunk, unless it is something else like a wilderness zone
    That's what I have to say about that. I will try to keep up on this forum if anyone has any questions about my writing, or what else I think about procedural generation.
    NOTE: Please keep in mind I wrote this while being very tired, so therefore I may have typed a sentence wrong that spell check didn't catch.

2. DZS

DZS Survivor Backer

Jul 12, 2017
    I voted no, mainly because of the complexity STN is going to be. Its true Unity has come a long way as a engine, considering what happen'd to TDL and the reasons why i would be avoiding Proc generation atleast the entire world. IMO that sort of game needs a custom engine.

Some aspects of proc generation can work more easily, randomized loot structure orientations spun to shake things up a bit and keep it fresh. Im guessing the reason why 7days to die works well is due to using blocks in structures not high poly count 3D models. Most indie company's don't have the resources to fix up any major screw ups in the engine and code whilst in the middle of heavy development. Hopefully Unity's support has improved since 3 years ago.

Take Star Citizen as the best example for the next 10 years of what not to do with an engine. The game would be Beta by now if an inhouse built engine had of been used.

My dear friend, David Tse whom i never got to know as well as i would of liked too was working on an engine called Titan which would of been something impressive. You can find it on youtube, or just google Survive by David Tse. Custom built engines are things of beauty, considering Unity started as something for websites its come a long way. Engines like Unreal have been around for 20 years, give unity another 5 and it might do a good job of proc gen.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Dr. Reaper likes this.