• Hello Guest,

Alpha v1.0 has been released on Steam! Bug reports can be made using our new in-game bug reporting system. Please consider joining our Discord if you need assistance.

-The team at a2z(Interactive);

Quick update, where we are and the future! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Admin #1

JB_

Developer
Developer
Hello all,

Wow, March just flew by! We’ve made some great progress; design is really coming along now. The modelers are turning out items quicker than we can implement them, so we have a really decent reserve building! We’ve spent most of March optimizing our current basic build. We’ve created our own culling system that, along with Unity’s, should prove it's worth. We’ve included a screen of it below with a shot of just a part of the island. We’ve dedicated a lot of time to this. Our main hope is that the game will be enjoyable to a wider group of gamers, not just those with high-end rigs! At the same time we’re constantly keeping graphic settings in mind, assuring people can’t cheat simply by turning their graphic options down. Unity’s culling system isn’t specifically built for large worlds. We’ve also figured out a work around to the engines floating point precision issues, something that has plagued us in older builds. Jay will do a more detailed post on the whole subject over the weekend.

We’ve also explored a few options when it comes to initial distribution of Stress Test builds, and we’re fairly confident this will go off without a hitch! We’re hoping to get our very first builds out as soon as possible, once again not setting dates here because we’re just not sure when it’s going to be ready. We know it's been said before, but please keep in mind that we’re not a massive company. We don’t want to use this as a crutch but it’s important to us that we take our time and deliver something that is going to work with the least amount of headache.

What you can expect: the island itself has grown from our original concept island that was scratched some weeks back. We’re currently designing our first small town. This will be our baseline area for stress testing, it will also be our branching out point for future design. The island consists of around 24 fully enterable structures (all of our structures are functional), and you’ll be able to walk about the entire place and check them all out for yourselves.

Many features are being implemented, although we’re doing it very slowly. The build you receive will contain our most basic of gameplay features. Day/night cycles will be working. Gunplay and basic looting will be working, containers and storage is possible. Some interaction features also, simply to test the logic. For the time being you WILL be able to kill each other. Bandits should have fun while they can and before our mental health system is implemented. There’s a possibility we will call on the community for some serious actions, flooding servers, seeing what we can pull off player-count-wise. Please feel free to explore our first town, find anything wrong and shoot us a message via the built-in bug reporter. We’ll be active on the forums and will field each and every bug report. The coming weeks and months are going to be the first stepping stones in the future of Survive the Nights.

We hope you aren’t disappointed with our current build as it’s just a glimpse of what’s to come. Like we’ve said above, things aren’t going to move at a rapid pace. We’ll implement new features only once current ones are working the way they’re meant to. We’ll release new builds and deploy them, and we’ll only release a stable Alpha version once the majority of you and the team are happy with these current builds.

Once again, thank you all for your support, both financially and emotionally! We’ve built a massive community of excellent people! You’ll be hearing from us soon. Hope to see you all on a server shortly!

Regards,

The Team at a2z(Interactive);

A visual representation of our custom culling system, this is only a small chunk of our island

Rebuild on the garage from our concept videos

Small apartment block, we think we'll be able to get much larger buildings in eventually

Larger house in town

One of the many parts you'll find and need to get a vehicle running

Some of our weapons and attachments so far :)

Davidbc

Survivor
Backer
Can't wait!!!!!!!!!! NICEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Like the Cans as Silencer ! :D
But the Fire Extinguisher need a bit more love ;). More "wow" in the Texture.
You think so? I actually said to myself it looked really good.

What I don't like from those screenshots is the lack of doors on the buildings. In the update video doors were working, so I kinda was expecting them to be in every building or at least most of them. And also all windows being broken. I'd rather have all the windows in good condition and then let the players destroy them over time.

Last edited:
Thread starter Admin #4

JB_

Developer
Developer

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer
I just got done reading this on kickstarter, seems things are coming along well. I look forward to the stress builds and how it'll perform on my low end laptop. I'm not sure if you've stated it yet but will vehicles be in the stress test builds?

Thread starter Admin #7

JB_

Developer
Developer
I just got done reading this on kickstarter, seems things are coming along well. I look forward to the stress builds and how it'll perform on my low end laptop. I'm not sure if you've stated it yet but will vehicles be in the stress test builds?
No not in stress test builds we do hope to have them in alpha though. Want to make sure we get physics right :p

John Pearson

Backer
So, for pre-alpha backer, is there an expected timeframe before we have access to start testing?

Thread starter Admin #11

JB_

Developer
Developer
So, for pre-alpha backer, is there an expected timeframe before we have access to start testing?
Like the post suggests, as soon as it's ready bud. I don't want to lock myself and the team into a date it won't be long now no sense in us rushing at this point.

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer
No not in stress test builds we do hope to have them in alpha though. Want to make sure we get physics right :p
Alright, sounds like a good idea really, tackling the basic bugs and problem then moving onto the more advanced elements. Remember to take breaks every once in awhile. :D

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Gas Station Confimed. :D

Thanks for the update aswell.

Wildfire

Eyyy lmao
Backer
To be honest, i dont want to bitch out at the team and i believe they are working well, but i didnt expect there to only be a single town developed, and also on the subject, cars. I know the team is probably stressing out about the final days before stress-test release but i didnt expect only the map/controls to be finished.

Wildfire

Eyyy lmao
Backer
Alright, sounds like a good idea really, tackling the basic bugs and problem then moving onto the more advanced elements. Remember to take breaks every once in awhile. :D
But yes, dont stress out all the time and take breaks. Im glad to see some progress since last time.

Illuminati Hunter NWO

Backer
Like the post suggests, as soon as it's ready bud. I don't want to lock myself and the team into a date it won't be long now no sense in us rushing at this point.
Did you not say that 2 months ago ?, i have been a lurker here for long time until i decided to take the plunge and become a backer ! :), would be nice to have something to give some feedback upon and actualy test. so it will be another 2-3 weeks then or even 1-2 months ?.

Can give a little hint jb ;).

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Its sooo close I can smell it, or is that @Guido Groen with another one of his releases :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.