• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Random Trap idea's

Thread starter #1

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
Here are some random trap idea's I wrote down after watching the trailers tell me what you guys think.

Chain Traps
-Hook Chains: A simple trap made from a long heavy metal chain with a large meat hook attached to the end suspended from a ceiling. The trap could be used to fill a hallway or entrance with long hooked chains that could damage and possible trap anything trying to pass through without crouching.

-Ball Trap: A more advanced trap made from a chain bolted to a ceiling, on the other end of the chain is a bowling ball secured by a simple latch. Activated by a wire the latch will release the ball firmly striking anything in the arc.

-Metal Ram: A small industrial girder suspended by two metal chains secured to ceiling, activated by a wire and latch system the girder will swing down severely impacting the target.(Anyone who has played fallout 3 remembers these.)

-Trimmer Trap: A advanced mechanical trap powered by gas and composed of a dismantled lawnmower and a long heavy metal chain. The modified lawnmower is bolted onto the ground or a ceiling, upon activation the trap will rapidly spin the chain potentially dismembering anything close by.

-Mulcher Trap: A larger version of the Trimmer trap made of a large modified stripped down brush mower with a even longer chain. Similar to the Trimmer the Mulcher is bolted upside down and has an extremely devastating effect towards anything nearby.(I also have a Veh mod idea I am going to post witch is the same thing but mounted on the grill of a truck or van, the trimmer would go on smaller veh's.)

-Chain Wall: (This is more of a defense but can be upgraded into a trap) A thick length of chain is pulled tight and bolted across a entrance way or window, increasing the amount of chains increases the integrity. To upgrade the chains connect a generator or other power source via jumper cables to electrify the wall of chains.

Miscellaneous Traps
-Shin Capper: A trap made from a modified clay pigeon thrower upgraded with a heavier spring and a sharpened throwing arm. Activated with a wire the sharpened arm will swing forward breaking or severing any struck limbs.
http://liveimages.quicksales.com.au...pg?width=830&aspect=fitwithin&padcolor=ffffff

-Ballistic Re-bar Traps: Traps made from angled pipes of various sizes and angles, wood planks, a grill or oven igniter. When placed on ceilings or the ground the trap is angled at 70 degrees with the wood planks providing the structure, a sharpened piece of re-bar is placed in the opening of each pipe. Each pipe connects to a single main pipe filled with an accelerant. Activated by a wire the igniter will trigger the accelerant causing a gas to quickly expand forcefully ejecting the re-bar, when placed on walls the same system is applied but the trap is angled at 90 degrees.

-T Trap(Need better name): A simple trap composed of two planks, a heavy spring, a simple latch, a hinge and a large weapon of the creators choosing. The trap is shaped like a large upside down upper case T, a spring is placed on one side of the smaller wooden plank and the weapon is firmly secured to the longer plank. The hinge connecting the two planks allows for the longer plank to compress the spring with the latch keeping it locked in place. Attached to a floor or ceiling the trap is activated by a wire pulling the latch and freeing the pent up force of the spring.(Weapons best used Sledgehammer, Axe, Scythe, farming hoe, root cutter)

-Venom Surprise: A living trap made of a captured rattlesnake or other venomous snake. The snake is secured to a tie in the ground via a string or small rope, the connecting material is wrapped around the rattle or tail(depending on available snake) of the snake,the animal acts as a trap and as a rodent killer in one package.

-Inferno Trap: A incendiary trap composed of a small propane tank, a industrial vacuum, tubing of various sizes and a large PVC pipe and a heavy igniter. The vacuum is connected to the PVC pipe on the reverse side of the vacuum, the propane tank is connected to the pipe via tubing. Upon activation of the trap the vacuum and propane tank activate expelling air and flammable gas down the pipe, the igniter lights the mixture of propane and air into a swirling vortex of fire. A container on top of the trap expels a fine powder into the pipe which increases the length of the fire. Best placed near a entrance or hallway the Inferno trap will expel a massive gout of flame until its fuel source runs out.(Can also be turned into a flamethrower turret with extra parts) Got the idea from Dooms Day Preppers. http://gadgetmelon.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Screenshot-2014-07-24-14.50.20-610x336.png

So these are all the trap ideas I have so far any criticism is valued.

Thread starter #3

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
Appreciate the first hit Kirk. Here are some more traps I thought of.

Murphy Trap- A trap composed of a small stripped down spring mattress, latches, a few heavy springs, a hinge, a pulley system, multiple pieces of sharpened re bar and a wood frame. Placed in front of doors the mattress is directly attached to the wood frame via a metal hinge, multiple pieces of re bar are secured to the mattress jutting out at multiple angles. Secured to the frame by latches and controlled by a simple pulley system attached to the door it is guarding. Once the door is opened and the latches release several heavy springs between the wood frame and the spring mattress release their pent up energy sending the spiked mattress crashing to the ground. The trap can be upgraded with jumper cables and a power source.

Reverse Murphy trap- A ceiling version of the Murphy trap composed of a small stripped down spring mattress, a latch, a metal anchor plate, a hinge and multiple pieces of sharpened re bar. The re bar spikes are attached to the stripped mattress that is now just a mesh of springs. The mattress is attached to the anchor plate via a hinge and secured with a latch. Placed on a ceiling near a doorway or window and activated with a wire the trap will swing down impaling the target. The trap can be upgraded with jumper cables and a power source to electrify the entire mattress.

Swing of Doom- A trap made of a modified swing set, a motor and several long bladed or spiked instruments and powered by a small gas tank.. The Swing is staked into the ground securing it in the desired position, the motor is attached to the top of the trap with a central rod running through the top of the swing. Replacing the actual swings are several bladed objects typically farming instruments such as scythes and wood cutting axes, the bladed instruments are firmly attached to the main rod which itself is connected to the motor allowing for free movement. Upon activation the trap will spin the newly attached bladed arms until its fuel source runs out. Can be upgraded with a higher torque motor and a larger fuel source.

The Antoinette- A heavy bladed trap placed above windows and door ways this trap is composed of a large heavy blade connected to a wood frame and a pulley system. The frame is shaped like a square arch, made of three thick wooden sticks or boards with grooves dug in for easy passage of the blade. The heavy blade is placed within the arch inside the grooves and held by a rope leading through a simple pulley system, the blade is typically made from a sharpened industrial paper cutting blade ( https://img0.etsystatic.com/003/0/6730862/il_fullxfull.357226784_qohe.jpg ) or from a hand made blade. Held by a latch secured to a wire system, upon activation the blade is released sliding downwards cutting anything in its path. Can be upgraded with a pressure switch and a additional pulley system powered by a motor. The pulley will reactivate the trap after it is activated.

Pile Driver- A ballistic trap shaped like a military portable mortar made of a large metal pipe with two metal legs welded on for stability, a igniter and a large wooden stake and a small propane tank for a fuel source. Secured on the ground typically in front of a entrance way or doorway and triggered by a wire, the igniter will light the propane fed into a rear chamber at the bottom of the pipe. The ignited gas will rapidly expel the wooden stake impaling anything in its way.

Dust Bomb- A advanced trap composed of a vehicle airbag, a large amount of flour or other powdered material, a pressure switch or latch and wire system, a taser and a simple timer. Placed in a small metal box the air bag is set in the floor of the box and flour or other fine powdered material is packed on top of the bag. Triggered by either a pressure switch or a wire system upon activation the airbag is deployed and the timer begins to tick down. When the timer reaches the end of its set cycle the taser is activated igniting the entire mass of dust particles into a massive fireball. Best used in confined areas. Can be upgraded with a remote trigger and gun powder instead of random powder.

Thread starter #5

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
Thanks Blezz and thanks for the likes guys, thought of a few more traps in my spare time.

Shock Jaw- A electrical trap made of a car battery, a long heavy chain and a bear trap, bolted or staked to the ground or any available ceiling the car battery is attached to the Bear trap via the metal chain providing an electrical charge. Suspended from the ceiling or lieing in wait on the ground the trap will cause severe physical and electrical trauma to any extremity caught in the metal vice. Can be upgraded with a second chain and bear trap.

Jupiter Fly Trap- A large metal spring powered trap consisting of two heavy springs, a square metal base plate, a bear trap, two heavy latches and two cross shaped spiked metal arms. Bolted together the base plate and bear trap are secured onto the ground preferably in an open area. Attached to the main base plate via the heavy metal hinges with the two heavy metal springs resting underneath each arm, the tension of each spring being kept in check by a latch connected to the bear trap. Once the bear trap is triggered the arms are released swinging upwards, the metal spikes welded onto the arms impaling the target as well as the crushing jaws of the bear trap biting into its leg..

The Mill- A advanced mechanical trap composed of two chainsaws a mechanical garage door opener & track, a car battery, several clamps and a plastic petrol can. Attached to the metal garage door track with several clamps the chainsaws are aimed upright, for added fuel the gas tanks of both chainsaws are connected via the plastic petrol can. Placed on the ground and powered by the car battery once activated the trap will continue moving back and forth along the track until its power source fails or is deactivated.

Work mans Comp- A projectile trap cobbled together out of a saw horse, two modified electric nail guns, a car battery, a pulley , a simple home motion detector and various mechanical and electronic scrap. Secured to the saw horse the two electric nail guns modified without safety mechanisms are controlled by a pulley system with each trigger set to pull at the same time. Combined with the motion detector, various small electronic baubles, a mechanical finger and powered by a car battery the trap is triggered by any motion detected in the detectors field of view discharging nails until the supply runs out or the motion detector signals a lack of movement. Can be upgraded by replacing the nail guns with SMG's.

Mister Joe

AJ's Best Buddy
Backer
Shock Jaw- A electrical trap made of a car battery, a long heavy chain and a bear trap, bolted or staked to the ground or any available ceiling the car battery is attached to the Bear trap via the metal chain providing an electrical charge. Suspended from the ceiling or lieing in wait on the ground the trap will cause severe physical and electrical trauma to any extremity caught in the metal vice. Can be upgraded with a second chain and bear trap.
Car batteries are only 12 volts, you can easily touch both terminals and not feel a thing. What would make more sense is probably having something to douse you (bucket of water perhaps).

Also if you were to connect the car battery to the bear trap and leave it there the battery would probably just explode of its' own accord through being shorted out :c

Good ideas nontheless, I'd really like to see some of these implemented.

Thread starter #7

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
Thanks Mister Joe I appreciate the knowledge. What if it was a long trap something that would be placed in a hallway, where the bear traps are being held in place by a metal grate(could be made from metal fencing) bolted to the ground or ceiling, the grate could be attached to a generator via cables. It would have to be something that is activated with a switch instead of just lying there(New name Shock & Jaw). Also if that still wouldn't work what do you suggest that could make it work.

Also Mister Joe how far does electricity travel in water, I had a idea for a trap(could also be made into a weapon) that included a thick hose, a pump and a couple tasers. I was wondering if you could electrify a high pressure stream of water and how effective it might be or if it would just blow up.

Well here are a few more random traps.( The 1st two are from Zombie fics already but I would like to see them in.

Bait N Stake-(The awesome trap from the "Clear" WD epi) A simple lure trap made from a empty industrial cable spool,a small animal cage, a live captured rat and several sharpened wooden spears. The rat inside the cage is placed on the spool in the chosen area. Covered in the wooden spears protecting the cage anything attracted to the spool will be impaled on the make shift spikes. Can be upgraded with sharpened re bar and a radio to replace the animal cage. Really simple but effective I thought these things made a lot of sense When I saw them in Walking Dead.

Sky Flower- A simple pyrotechnic warning trap made from a large pre made firework, a match box and a wire system. Taped to the firework the striking side of the match box is placed directly next to the fire works fuse.. Attached to the wire system the match box will light the fuse once the wire system has been triggered. Released into the air with a loud pop the colorful explosive detonates with a brilliant flash. The loud bang and subsequent series of colors as well as acting as a warning have a rare reaction causing any nearby zombies to become dazed.( Loved these in Land of the Dead, it would be interesting if we could get the same effect.

The Frisbee- A projectile version of the Shin Capper this trap is made of a modified clay pigeon thrower, several bolts, a circular saw blade and a wire system. The clay target throwers arm is modified is a special slat running down the side of the arm as well as a small clip to hold the saw bladed in place. Attached to a wire system and placed in front of a door or window once activated the arm will release flinging the saw blade towards its target.

The Kitchen Sink-A large explosive trap composed of a metal garbage can, a propane tank, a I.E.D., several box's of nails, bolts and nuts, gunpowder, sharpened re bar and circular saw blades. The I.E.D. and propane tank are secured to each other and placed in the trash can, then a mixture of gunpowder, nails, nuts and bolts is packed around the inner bomb. The re-bar and saw blades are stuck throughout the garbage can, a light welding around any perforations secures the structure of the bomb until detonation. Remote detonated by the I.E.D. the trap has an extremely wide kill radius and should be used with caution. Warning Does not contain an actual kitchen sink!

Baby Blender

big man
Backer
Finally, someone who puts great detail and thought into their posts!

I really liked the reason-ability and relatively realistic addation that these traps hold.

Regards, Blender

strategos2411

Survivor
Backer
Finally, someone who puts great detail and thought into their posts!

I really liked the reason-ability and relatively realistic addation that these traps hold.

Regards, Blender
I agree with Blender here, lots of nice well though out ideas.

I would have liked to see a few more images/links/vids etc showing the actual traps, but otherwise top notch work.

One issue with this thread it's too crowded, check out the posting rules here (http://community.survivethenights.net/threads/read-before-posting-suggestions.13/) it'll help you in the long run as some users wouldn't take the time to read so much info in one thread :)

Thread starter #10

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
1st off thanks for the positive feed back everyone. On the pics and vids there are a few that I could find pics for but the rest I would either have to sketch(witch i'm not the best at) or build them.

This could work for the sky flower as a base.
http://www.skylighter.com/images/newsletter/105/HDPE-Mortar-Rack.jpg the

These traps are the Bait N Stake from the episode "Clear" made from a spool and a shopping cart.
http://heydontjudgeme.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/TWD-walkers-in-traps-500x330.jpg
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/M...c1ODYxOQ@@._V1_SY1200_CR84,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg
If I look hard enough on the internet I might find more pics for my traps.

So I should make a separate thread for each group of traps I post or a larger more detailed post for each separate trap. If that's the case I will post some more traps in another thread in a bit.(Right now I will be posting a survivor made vehicle idea check out The SnakeHead in the veh section in a few min's.)

strategos2411

Survivor
Backer
So I should make a separate thread for each group of traps I post or a larger more detailed post for each separate trap. If that's the case I will post some more traps in another thread in a bit.(Right now I will be posting a survivor made vehicle idea check out The SnakeHead in the veh section in a few min's.)
Each suggestion should have it's own thread and unique title, it makes it easier for everyone to find and view the individual trap(or any other suggestion) ideas :)

Doublebow

Lone Wanderer
Backer
Wow, the Shin Capper sounds so evil and gruesome, image trying to crawl back to your base while you bleed to death with your leg held on by only a few tendents. All i can say is aww.

Waffllecat

Master of Meh.
Love the ideas that you come up with, although I now realize I should not even look in the general direction of your base for safety reasons. One thing you might want to think of is that you have these large, heavy, pressurized canisters called fire extinguishers. They are in literally every form of store SOMEWHERE, and it would be amazing to see a modified Pile Driver or Dust bomb using them. Pretty sure you might be able to make something else more interesting though :p