• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Reading books to learn crafts

Thread starter #1

DESCH BRUTAL!!

Backer
Reading books to learn new things to craft would be an idea... Not sure how the devs want to implement the crafting skills...

Rampage

Survival Veteran
Backer
Yeah this could help improve low level skills. But you should have to do the thing, say hunt for a period of time to get better at it.

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer
My question is how long would you be reading in order to effect skills. Will it be fallout style and you just use the book and automatically gain it? I would like to see actual time needed in order to gain the benefit from it. Though nothing like an hour, but maybe 5-20 minutes.

MrMcBobb

Backer
Why not have books as a mental health balance and not just "read this book be more gooder at s**t" skill based stuff.

The reason I've been so enthralled with this game is it's mental health attributes (which I feel would be one of the largest factors in surviving the apocalypse) so the more things we have to help fight depression and, eventually, death the better the system could be. Being cold/damp/hungry/lonely/unhappy all these things would make you want to end it, but books, good food (as mentioned in my forum post), company and games could make you feel better about the s**thole you are living in.

Still have books as a skill curve, reading books to learn about edible plants, cooking recipes, crafting options and suchlike would make them valuable commodities, preventing the only trade being in bullets (of varying velocity)

Last edited by a moderator:

NovaSniper

Professional Argonian Badass
Backer
it should be so that you can craft anything in the book if the book is in your inventory and after having the book in your inventory for about 30 min you can remember some of it without having to book in your inventory, having it in your inventory for an hour lets you remember more and having it in your inventory for 2 hours you can remember everything even when the book isnt in your inventory

Dr Mantis Toboggan

Trust me. I'm a Doctor.
Backer
Read books to get better at shiz sounds dandy- advances a set of basic crafting ideas you have at the beginning.
Maybe weapons can do more slightly more damage or defenses last slightly longer the more you read and learn.

Graham

The One You Should Avoid In Multiplayer Games
Backer
Im Not Sure If This Would Work, As They Are Aiming To Make it A Very Easy And Simple Crafting System That is Usable Even By Casual Gamers.

Kirk

Soon to be Survivor
Backer
Make the books be about how to survive in the wild? Just for fun and for hints for those who live in the city.

Aj Roesel

Lt General cody503
Backer
Im Not Sure If This Would Work, As They Are Aiming To Make it A Very Easy And Simple Crafting System That is Usable Even By Casual Gamers.
I do like the crafting system itself. i dont think we need books but idk. like the crafting book is a book lol

NovaSniper

Professional Argonian Badass
Backer
what you said is irrelevant, just because its easy to craft things doesn't mean you know how to craft everything

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer
Maybe you could have it where after you've used a book several times in crafting something you'll have memorized the recipe.

Aj Roesel

Lt General cody503
Backer
what you said is irrelevant, just because its easy to craft things doesn't mean you know how to craft everything

yes exactly that is why the books can help you and if you dont remember how to make it just look at the book again. if you do not have the book anymore or if you lost it well the you are out of luck

Survivor

"I'm gonna give him an offer he can't refuse."
Backer
Yeah this could help improve low level skills. But you should have to do the thing, say hunt for a period of time to get better at it.
That's exactly what I was thinking! Good job now I don't have to type it. :)

WasabiKicks91

Backer
IF there is no power and there is a Mental Stability meter you gotta Sims that s**t. You gotta have fun and stay amused so you don't go crazy in a messed up zombie infested world. You can't play video games or watch TV though. So what CAN you do for stimulation? Read a book. Ta-da! Mental Stability management.

Last edited by a moderator: