• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Realistic Medical Treatment, Injuries and Classes

Thread starter #1

Dench

German GFXer
Backer
.. like breaking noses from hits, sears on the fingers that hold you up from properly shooting, concussion from an big swing to the head or a REAL broken leg and all with visual or physically effects. Like if you get hit in the face by an other player in the face and your nose breaks your vision flashes and you see how you fall to the ground. Or if you try to shoot with sears or broken fingers your vision flashes also because of the pain that shots through your nerves.

Finndawg

El Sobreviviente
Backer
I was wondering about aspects of bleeding, and perhaps different types of wounds require different medical attention/items. For example if you get shot and survive you have to sterilize the wound before bandaging, without doing so could risk infection? and if you get a deep cut from a blade or zombie you have to stitch it up and then bandage it?

and also if get cut more and more you bleed out quicker, so the more extreme the wound/s the more urgent the situation.

these are just some examples, I'm sure some of you have some stuff to add :)

Mister Joe

AJ's Best Buddy
Backer
Sounds good, I personally liked the aspect of bleeding within DayZ but felt it could be fleshed out in this sense. Sterilisation would definitely add a lot of depth to the game, although the risk of becoming a zombie in that sense has apparently been clarified. :c

Lt Snake X

ParaMedic
Backer
well with bleeding all it takes is water to wash out the wound and a simple item to apply pressure to start the clotting process but this im sure has already added into the game because of the other posts that have been stated in this forum

M_Dawg

Officially Awesome
Backer
Sterilization? I'm not wasting my vodka on a little cut!

Lt Snake X

ParaMedic
Backer
as for the shooting depending on the gun most likely your going to die from the wound unless you have a surgical team standing by ready to treat you in a OR but this also depends on where you got shot but i do get this is a game and people will get shot and it wouldnt be fun if we had to go though the whole process it takes to treat a gunshot wound (yes ive seen it) cause id hate to have to sit in a hospital bed for a while then go though rehab. now saying that I would love to see some realism in the medical aspect of this game and would gladly give my input from personal experience in the field

Finndawg

El Sobreviviente
Backer
Sterilization? I'm not wasting my vodka on a little cut!
Haha, risk infection and see if it's worth the drink ;)

as for the shooting depending on the gun most likely your going to die from the wound unless you have a surgical team standing by ready to treat you in a OR but this also depends on where you got shot but i do get this is a game and people will get shot and it wouldnt be fun if we had to go though the whole process it takes to treat a gunshot wound (yes ive seen it) cause id hate to have to sit in a hospital bed for a while then go though rehab. now saying that I would love to see some realism in the medical aspect of this game and would gladly give my input from personal experience in the field
I mostly agree though surely you can add some realistic elements without having to ruin the gameplay, like make it so you can get different cuts and wounds though they're all quite quick to fix/have a known cure, like I don't agree that if you get shot by a high cal round and headshot the shooter, you have no choice but to bleed out, I think you should be able to recover quickly.

Though my original point still stands I think you should be able to suffer from multiple different types of cuts and wounds that should have multiple different remedies.

Finndawg

El Sobreviviente
Backer
kinda like the MGS 3 healing system is the closet thing i can think of too
I've never played though yeah maybe something like that, the body split into different sections and you can hurt each one in different ways such as broken bones/fractures and different levels of cuts and stuff.

Lt Snake X

ParaMedic
Backer
yea it was great with different healing factors like you didnt just need to pull a bullet out you needed to clean suture bandage also for gun shots

Finndawg

El Sobreviviente
Backer
Mentioned before, but I like the detail more in this one +1
Haha thanks mate, I did look it up on the search before hand though didn't find anything quite like this.

yea it was great with different healing factors like you didnt just need to pull a bullet out you needed to clean suture bandage also for gun shots
And yeah that sounds like exactly what I'm going for :D

Finndawg

El Sobreviviente
Backer
you yourself posted one like this already the day before this one
Haha I actually posted that after, and that's only just because I wasn't entirely sure how the backers forum worked, I wasn't sure if I had to repost my ideas there, sorry if I somehow offended you.

Lt Snake X

ParaMedic
Backer
nah i enjoyed your idea but having tw threads saying the same thing kinda makes people have to go back and forth to read suggestions im no mod just trying to help people out and make the threads easier to go though so we can get ideas heard

Finndawg

El Sobreviviente
Backer
nah i enjoyed your idea but having tw threads saying the same thing kinda makes people have to go back and forth to read suggestions im no mod just trying to help people out and make the threads easier to go though so we can get ideas heard
Thanks man, it's okay I understand, I'd have probably said the same thing now that I'm aware :)

Ryouseiken

Youtuber
Backer
Personally I think wounds should work the same because unless you had a surgical team ready to help after being shot in a critical area, I think it'd be more hindering than anything even for a game vying for realism. I would say more that there's levels of damage you can take and the further levels of damage you've taken, the more you're bleeding out. Maybe the blood can actually leave some sort of subtle path so that if zombies or other players for some reason wanted to track you down they could, and you'd need like a standard med kit or at the very least washing yourself up in a lake/ocean to deal with the blood. The med kit for sure would be necessary to actually heal.

Applejaxc

Backer
I've always hated how in DayZ, bleeding = dying if you don't bandage within 10 seconds. You could get nicked in the foot by a dull kitchen knife, and it would be a death sentence if you bled. There are many examples of people being shot in the chest by .45ACP and 9mm surviving the 10+ minutes it takes for an ambulance to arrive, regardless of the application of bandaging prior. Soldiers that lose limbs to IEDs have a huge survival ratio if they're airlifted to medical attention within the "Golden hour," regardless of whether they lay bleeding from a missing arm or leg for 10, 20 minutes.

Long story short, wounds incurred from scratches, punches, or other non-threatening causes, while prone to infection and detrimental to one's health, should never be lethal unless you're already low on health. Serious wounds, like those inflicted by not-immediately-lethal gunshots, stabs, et cetera should not drain your health at an unrealistic rate; you should have the 5 minutes it takes to return fire, hobble away, rip your shirt, and bandage up until you find a permanent solution.

Finndawg

El Sobreviviente
Backer
I've always hated how in DayZ, bleeding = dying if you don't bandage within 10 seconds. You could get nicked in the foot by a dull kitchen knife, and it would be a death sentence if you bled. There are many examples of people being shot in the chest by .45ACP and 9mm surviving the 10+ minutes it takes for an ambulance to arrive, regardless of the application of bandaging prior. Soldiers that lose limbs to IEDs have a huge survival ratio if they're airlifted to medical attention within the "Golden hour," regardless of whether they lay bleeding from a missing arm or leg for 10, 20 minutes.

Long story short, wounds incurred from scratches, punches, or other non-threatening causes, while prone to infection and detrimental to one's health, should never be lethal unless you're already low on health. Serious wounds, like those inflicted by not-immediately-lethal gunshots, stabs, et cetera should not drain your health at an unrealistic rate; you should have the 5 minutes it takes to return fire, hobble away, rip your shirt, and bandage up until you find a permanent solution.
Why do you have to compare it to Dayz? obviously bleeding out would rarely happen unless as you said you are close to health, though personally I want a realistic feeling health system, the more dynamic the better in my opinion.