• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Realistic sleeping; Tiredness / No insta-morning time leaps / Forced wakeup

What features do you like? Multiple responses enabled.

• I like all of these.

Votes: 19 35.2%
  • 1) Tiredness - Vision affected, slower crafting, wobbly driving...

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • 2) Sleep anywhere at any time - On the floor/bed/sofa.

Votes: 27 50.0%
  • 3) Disconnect and risk being attacked, or sit and listen for noises.

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • 4) Interruptions degrade your sleep's productivity.

Votes: 17 31.5%
  • 5) Sleeping on a bed/sofa is more fulfilling than sleeping on the floor. (Furniture boost)

Votes: 35 64.8%

• Total voters
Thread starter #1

Mister Joe

AJ's Best Buddy
Backer
In the poll, please select EITHER the first response OR multiple others, not both.

(I realise I forgot a "None of these" option, whoops. Just don't vote if you think they're terrible, tell me below what you dislike.)

I was going to post this within someone else's post under vehicles, but felt it should be in the appropriate category and within its' own post.

Sleeping is an essential part of any realistic game, and rather than having an effect like Minecraft where time advances rapidly when everyone sleeps, time should progress normally. What I propose is two energy variables, one that can be replenished by eating and another by sleeping - you can't stay awake forever just by eating and you can't avoid starvation by sleeping all the time.

As eating would reduce hunger, sleeping would reduce tiredness - If any of you have ever played Euro Truck Simulator this displays a similar mechanic in which you can only drive/play for so long before you have to find a place to park and sleep, which advances time - In STN I feel it would be accurate to have a tiredness system - maybe allowing you to stay awake for two to three in-game days at most before you are incapable of doing anything. You would be able to sleep anywhere at any time provided you are tired, although sleeping on some objects would give you a bigger reduction "boost" to tiredness than others. (e.g. a bed with a mattress as opposed to a splintered wooden floor.)

Tiredness could affect your crafting abilities, driving, vision (extreme tiredness) and other aspects of the game. I'll leave the devs and people replying below to add to this.

The player could either choose to disconnect and pass in-game time by doing things in reality (I know right? Weird people...) and thus risk being attacked, or stay and listen whilst asleep for alarming noises and avoiding this.

Getting interrupted whilst asleep could also have a negative effect - Forcing yourself to wake up to respond to the sound of zombies banging on a door or window, or gunshots in the distance. You wouldn't wake up automatically as this could become aggravating and/or harder to implement, and such a disruption to your snoozy time could reduce the effectiveness of your sleeping period similar to sleeping on something uncomfortable (as said earlier).

(Thanks to AJ for reminding me about this)
Obviously not everyone has the same sleeping requirements - some people can feel refreshed after a few hours and other people need eleven to twelve hours of sleep to feel the benefit. In my opinion this should be randomised when your character is created and influenced by how long you sleep, e.g. waking yourself up forcefully often enough could trigger an event to give you a light sleeper attribute, and vice versa for people who sleep for 12 hours could become harder to wake up and react to their surroundings whilst asleep.

Thank you for reading, I've tried to format this as reader-friendly and quickly as possible but I'm tired myself and could do with lying in a nice bed and listening out for zombies. :v

Please post what you think below!

Last edited:
Moderator #2

DemoCar82

This is it... the apocalypse.
Community Mod
Backer
I like your concepts, and sleep would work in single player, but I don't think people will want to sit around for hours while their character sleeps in-game to avoid being attacked. It really doesn't work on multiplayer servers. A good example is Project Zomboid.

Mister AJ

Joe's best buddy
Backer
I quite like the ideas. I can see it now taking driving shifts with a companion, one sleeps in the back of the camper van while the other drives. Sounds quite realistic and interesting. Maybe a side effect of constant interrupted sleep could be something like you become a light sleeper

Thread starter #4

Mister Joe

AJ's Best Buddy
Backer
I like your concepts, and sleep would work in single player, but I don't think people will want to sit around for hours while their character sleeps in-game to avoid being attacked. It really doesn't work on multiplayer servers. A good example is Project Zomboid.
But it would make the game difficult wouldn't it? It would also mean that you'd want to fortify your house properly before going to sleep, rather than people just logging off in the middle of streets in towns and so on.

gamejunkie25th

Backer
I like this concept.... It calls for player interaction too.... Call up your buddy IRL and tell him "hey can you take a shift Jimmy is tired and is falling asleep"

M_Dawg

Officially Awesome
Backer
I like the idea of sleeping, but I don't think it works in multiplayer games. The current sleep mechanic in most games is a single player aspect that causes time to move forward in real word seconds which obviously couldn't happen in multiplayer. I could see the possibility of sleep in multiplayer if the mechanic uses in game time to a hyper level. Meaning when you lay down maybe it takes a minute or two of real world time to fill your sleep meter. I wouldn't get behind an idea that takes more than a couple minutes of real world time to fill your meter.

Thread starter #7

Mister Joe

AJ's Best Buddy
Backer
I quite like the ideas. I can see it now taking driving shifts with a companion, one sleeps in the back of the camper van while the other drives. Sounds quite realistic and interesting. Maybe a side effect of constant interrupted sleep could be something like you become a light sleeper
Added some of this into the OP, thanks. I knew it was missing something c:

Thread starter #8

Mister Joe

AJ's Best Buddy
Backer
@M_Dawg I couldn't forsee the game being too realistic without requiring some level of sleep being required, even if it was only an hour or so in real-world time. I wouldn't expect someone to wait 12 hours realtime to feel the effects of 12 hours' sleep in-game, however provided in-game time isn't 24 hours per day I feel something like this would work quite well. Maybe if a day was only four to six hours long (two to three hours of day and night), meaning you get the benefit of being able to do things quickly but also not having to wait all day and adjust your sleep schedule for a night operation. *cough cough ARMA II / DayZ Mod*

gamejunkie25th

Backer
@M_Dawg I couldn't forsee the game being too realistic without requiring some level of sleep being required, even if it was only an hour or so in real-world time. I wouldn't expect someone to wait 12 hours realtime to feel the effects of 12 hours' sleep in-game, however provided in-game time isn't 24 hours per day I feel something like this would work quite well. Maybe if a day was only four to six hours long (two to three hours of day and night), meaning you get the benefit of being able to do things quickly but also not having to wait all day and adjust your sleep schedule for a night operation. *cough cough ARMA II / DayZ Mod*
I have heard something about a 48 or 96 minute day so 5 - 10 minutes of real time sleep would fill your bar from empty

Thread starter #10

Mister Joe

AJ's Best Buddy
Backer
I have heard something about a 48 or 96 minute day so 5 - 10 minutes of real time sleep would fill your bar from empty
I was hoping for days to be a bit longer than that if that's the case :c

I still don't think 5-10 minutes of sleep would cut it realistically, if you've been awake for two days straight you're going to need more sleep than if you've had a regular sleep schedule and have only been awake for 13 hours. Maybe 10 minutes if you've been awake for a normal amount of time and then it would extend from then, so if you're irresponsible with your sleeping pattern you pay the price the next day. :v

gamejunkie25th

Backer
I was hoping for days to be a bit longer than that if that's the case :c

I still don't think 5-10 minutes of sleep would cut it realistically, if you've been awake for two days straight you're going to need more sleep than if you've had a regular sleep schedule and have only been awake for 13 hours. Maybe 10 minutes if you've been awake for a normal amount of time and then it would extend from then, so if you're irresponsible with your sleeping pattern you pay the price the next day. :v
Yeah what ever the day cycle length is (1hr,2hrs ect.) I believe you would need 8 (in game) hrs for every 16 (in game) hrs you stay up

M_Dawg

Officially Awesome
Backer
I would not back a 1 hour real time sleep cycle. That's just insane over kill to me. I want to play a game not a sleep simulator. I'm all for having to sleep for 1-5 real time minutes though.

Thread starter #13

Mister Joe

AJ's Best Buddy
Backer
That sounds more accurate yeah, so if the day is 6 real hours long (3 hours day 3 hours night) you'll need about 1.5-2 hours of realtime sleep in order to have 8 hours sleep. That is a bit excessive thinking about it, so perhaps having 45 minutes - 1 hour of realtime matched to a regular sleep period. You would preferably want to fall asleep at nightfall and wake up at sunrise, so timing things would be important.

@M_Dawg I don't know about you but I'd rather have a game that's relatively realistic and gives the genre what it deserves, rather than a game where you can stay up for three days collecting resources, driving around, fortifying your base and then just sleeping for five minutes only to repeat the same thing again - it'd be far too easy. Sleeping for however long it takes to pass the night if you've only stayed up 12-15 hours sounds much more appealing to me. I'd love a difficult StN as opposed to one where you'd be bored within a few hours having accomplished everything in the first few days without any real consequence.

Last edited:

gamejunkie25th

Backer
That sounds more accurate yeah, so if the day is 6 real hours long (3 hours day 3 hours night) you'll need about 1.5-2 hours of realtime sleep in order to have 8 hours sleep. That is a bit excessive thinking about it, so perhaps having 45 minutes - 1 hour of realtime matched to a regular sleep period. You would preferably want to fall asleep at nightfall and wake up at sunrise, so timing things would be important.

@M_Dawg I don't know about you but I'd rather have a game that's relatively realistic and gives the genre what it deserves, rather than a game where you can stay up for three days collecting resources, driving around, fortifying your base and then just sleeping for five minutes only to repeat the same thing again - it'd be far too easy. Sleeping for however long it takes to pass the night if you've only stayed up 12-15 hours sounds much more appealing to me. I'd love a difficult StN as opposed to one where you'd be bored within a few hours having accomplished everything in the first few days without any real consequence.
@M_Dawg Think of it this way.... You'd play for 8 real time hours and when you log off that would be considered sleeping

Thread starter #15

Mister Joe

AJ's Best Buddy
Backer
@gamejunkie25th Yeah in essence there would be the ability to sleep and listen to what's going on around you or disconnect and reap the same rewards with the dangers of being attacked whilst gone. A one hour day/night cycle would probably suit this sort of thing very well.

M_Dawg

Officially Awesome
Backer
@M_Dawg Think of it this way.... You'd play for 8 real time hours and when you log off that would be considered sleeping
If logging off counts as sleeping count me in. I thought the way I read it that you had to be playing to sleep not just logging off would count as sleeping.

Finndawg

El Sobreviviente
Backer
I like it, though it does sound like you'll just get tired sleep and then logoff, unless it was only a short time, but even then it sounds like time you could spend actually playing, I don't know how I feel about this one.

Thread starter #18

Mister Joe

AJ's Best Buddy
Backer
I like it, though it does sound like you'll just get tired sleep and then logoff, unless it was only a short time, but even then it sounds like time you could spend actually playing, I don't know how I feel about this one.
If they wanted to keep their realism factor present within StN, I'd think that having characters that never had to sleep and never got tired would be a bit disappointing - I'm not saying people should actively sleep within the game all the time, logging off would have a similar effect - If you know you haven't fortified your base properly and have left lights on to attract people, then it would be wise to maybe ALT+TAB out of the game and listen for weird things while your character sleeps - alternatively if you've turned everything off and have a secluded fortified base somewhere that you wouldn't expect people to look, you would feel pretty safe logging off for half an hour to let your character sleep, or logging off for longer to sleep yourself.

Finndawg

El Sobreviviente
Backer
If they wanted to keep their realism factor present within StN, I'd think that having characters that never had to sleep and never got tired would be a bit disappointing - I'm not saying people should actively sleep within the game all the time, logging off would have a similar effect - If you know you haven't fortified your base properly and have left lights on to attract people, then it would be wise to maybe ALT+TAB out of the game and listen for weird things while your character sleeps - alternatively if you've turned everything off and have a secluded fortified base somewhere that you wouldn't expect people to look, you would feel pretty safe logging off for half an hour to let your character sleep, or logging off for longer to sleep yourself.
Yeah I really like the sounds of that, it would create a really cool vibe, top idea.

peterpiper007

If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn?
Backer
If you think about it, this could easily become one of the most important things to tie players together. I could see a group of innovative players fortifying a larger building and filling it up with cots, charging other survivors in food rations, medicine, or ammo for a safe place to sleep for the night. Protecting one another during rest periods could prove to be one of the key elements for player groups in general, if the sleep cycle was at least an hour.