• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Reasons I dont playtest STN all that much

Thread starter #1

ld-airgrafix

Survivor
Backer
Lack of POIs would be the biggest reason. You spawn in, usually coast or somewhere in wilderness. Always night for some reason. I wait for daylight if the night is too dark, taking on zombies with fists is pointless. I set off at first daylight, my own shadow gives me a scare or two, since its detached from my body lol. Finding a road is no problem, however you soon realise you save more time by cutting across the hills as the roads are way too winding. If you are lucky you come across gas station, only to realise its empty. As you move further into the map, its night time, I have done absolutely nothing. I still have an empty bottle and a tiny torch. If you are luckier, you might come across a house, get a lot of food, only to realise you cant eat carrots because they are uncooked???? If you log off at a bed, well that server might not appear next time you come back. So its all over again. That has been my STN experience since it launched. I was able to test a gun once on a zombie. Lit a barrel once and collected water from tap, which was "dirty"???
Before you all attack me with "its pre alpha" game, my suggestions can be easily implemented as they are already in game.
More POIs is an already highly demanded feature by all.
We need more log off areas, like bus stops, signs, etc. nothing worse being stuck in the middle of nowhere, and having to log off due to life being more important.
Logs should have a chance of spawning food, berries etc. Give us something else to search for while being stuck nowhere.
Stick could be a decent starter melee weapon, slight upgrade from fists, easily found in those dry shrubs, you get tinder from.
Farms should have a much higher chance of spawning tools like an axe, its a common tool.
Sadly this game is following the same trend as every other EA survival game, and that's a walking simulator, that spawns you on the edge of the map.
Right now, I havent found any bugs, besides certain containers not opening after searching them.
Game runs well, haven't fallen through floors or died while walking down the stairs, doors work well. Certain animations like opening and eating canned food are well done.

Funny, the first time I played the game at release I fell right through the ground. Anyway, I do agree that there should be a more available point to save and log off other than beds because you might have to quickly log off due to life.

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
That's interesting @ld-airgrafix, my first experiences when the game was made available broadly mirror yours.
But the game has moved on a lot since then. I've been playing on the experimental branch for a while now, v 0.1.2. That will be coming to the normal branch very soon as version 0.2.0.
Yes, you sometimes still spawn in what seems like the middle of nowhere. Yes, you can find yourself walking for a full 24 hour cycle before you find something interesting to do (apart from fighting or avoiding zombies). More POIs would be good.
But find a map and a compass, and at least you know where you are, and where to go.
The servers now report the time they're on, so you should be able to avoid spawning in during the night if you want. But I still sometimes find the server I last played on isn't in the list anymore. It's not that big a deal for me, I'm testing the game, the more iterations I go through, the better. But I can see that being infuriating for people who want some continuity.
As to playtime, and RL interrupting your session with nowhere to log off safely. Well, that comes back to your point about POIs. If a tent could be added to the starting kit, that might solve that issue.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Yeah the island is a bit bare atm but in time it'll flurish but valid points you make :)

Can only say that in time more POI will be added along with some of those neat ideas like finding grub from the logs as a desperate/last resort along with the twig/stick, is my guess... and a whole heap of other cool shit.

So you know, you can still eat the uncooked tinned carrot you just wont get the most outta it (chance of raising sickness) and also if you got the tin opener to open it ofc, and cooking is as easy as placing the can on a campfire. I don't think you need the tripod for that (tripod is more for cooking in quantity or when using pan/pot) but I may be wrong there.

And the pump producing dirty water I think it would be connected to a water resivoir/well so you'd need to clean it anyway and with toilets/sinks, imo I like that as it makes sense without the water treatment process happening so maybe that can be a another pro for having the Union Power Plant up and running in the future.

ocelot07

Backer
My main issue is as the OP mentioned the servers disappearing. Log off after finding food and weapons. Only to return a few hours later and find the server is missing. Leave it a few hours still missing. So I can't play the game when ever I want.

DZS

Survivor
Backer
Sporadic net access, buying crap i need. I'll get wired later this year.

Who's This Pleb

Future Ophthalmologist
Backer
Yeah I definitely agree with most of your issues, but they are taking steps to fixing them. I'm happy the maps will be incorporated, and I personally have no problem with food, just gotta loot man! I wish you could just log off anywhere, it doesn't matter much to me that I'm at a bed or not. Also, more houses and little POI's along the way are absolutely needed. I'll probably back off for a while until 0.2 comes out and see where we're at then!

JB_

Developer
Developer
Lack of POIs would be the biggest reason. You spawn in, usually coast or somewhere in wilderness. Always night for some reason. I wait for daylight if the night is too dark, taking on zombies with fists is pointless. I set off at first daylight, my own shadow gives me a scare or two, since its detached from my body lol. Finding a road is no problem, however you soon realise you save more time by cutting across the hills as the roads are way too winding. If you are lucky you come across gas station, only to realise its empty. As you move further into the map, its night time, I have done absolutely nothing. I still have an empty bottle and a tiny torch. If you are luckier, you might come across a house, get a lot of food, only to realise you cant eat carrots because they are uncooked???? If you log off at a bed, well that server might not appear next time you come back. So its all over again. That has been my STN experience since it launched. I was able to test a gun once on a zombie. Lit a barrel once and collected water from tap, which was "dirty"???
Before you all attack me with "its pre alpha" game, my suggestions can be easily implemented as they are already in game.
We need more log off areas, like bus stops, signs, etc. nothing worse being stuck in the middle of nowhere, and having to log off due to life being more important.
Logs should have a chance of spawning food, berries etc. Give us something else to search for while being stuck nowhere.
Stick could be a decent starter melee weapon, slight upgrade from fists, easily found in those dry shrubs, you get tinder from.
Farms should have a much higher chance of spawning tools like an axe, its a common tool.
Sadly this game is following the same trend as every other EA survival game, and that's a walking simulator, that spawns you on the edge of the map.
Right now, I havent found any bugs, besides certain containers not opening after searching them.
Game runs well, haven't fallen through floors or died while walking down the stairs, doors work well. Certain animations like opening and eating canned food are well done.
Agree with most if not all your points here. We'll add more design as things stabilize but really there are over 400 structures on this island. There are lots of barren in betweens but that's alpha design, we will add more and new structures for sure. Maps and compasses help for sure now in 0.1.2 (future default 0.2.2).

Bushes give berries, love your idea about signs and bus stops being logout points! The future we've talked about sticks/rocks being easy to find weapons int he wild, bricks and metal rods in the towns.

RickGrimesdd

Survivor
Backer
i agree with you to a certain extent. i have fell through the map tele from an apartment roof to the ground. thing is although i agree with you to an extent we are not playing a game atm. were trying to get a game ready for alpha on steam. what the devs need is support on finding issues. they are moving along rather good on the development. and the cool thing is there listening to the community on creating the game. and the way you stated issues of why you are not playing is respectful. i applaud you for that.

Turbotobi

I´m Alive
Backer
Still waiting for a normal playable Beta version, actually it´s not funny to step in the game.

Same like DayZ, actually deleted from my Steam account, cause not fun playable over the last month.

Best game for such phases when I can´t play a good survival game is FeatTheBeast Minecraft,
Start from scatch till full working PC storage-system, powerplants, and so on.
Fighting NPCs in Nether or Twilight Forest, creating own worlds and so on.

I will look into STN every 3-4 month, but my hope isn´t the best for this year.

Maybe next year or 2020 we will have (near) the game they promised us on kickstarter.....
MY hope dies last.

RickGrimesdd

Survivor
Backer
Still waiting for a normal playable Beta version, actually it´s not funny to step in the game.

Same like DayZ, actually deleted from my Steam account, cause not fun playable over the last month.

Best game for such phases when I can´t play a good survival game is FeatTheBeast Minecraft,
Start from scatch till full working PC storage-system, powerplants, and so on.
Fighting NPCs in Nether or Twilight Forest, creating own worlds and so on.

I will look into STN every 3-4 month, but my hope isn´t the best for this year.

Maybe next year or 2020 we will have (near) the game they promised us on kickstarter.....
MY hope dies last.
k