• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Rechargable batteries as capacitors

Thread starter #1

lovebus

Backer
Survive the Knights crafting system is all about make-shift solutions so I was thinking that we could use something like rechargeable batteries of various sizes as capacitors. You could use a block of 8volts or a car battery as a way to keep your refrigerator or plant lights operating at night when running a gas-powered generator would be too loud. These batteries are incredibly common so they definitely would not be out of place in the StN setting. Actual capacitors are typically only found in hobby shops or hardware stores.

Another great thing about batteries is that they could be a viable currency (along with fuel and water) to be bartered. I saw that there was a megathread discussing currencies, but it is pretty old and bloated so I didn't see a point in posting there. To make my point short, batteries are are scalable, (if you tape them together into blocks) universally useful, and reasonably portable. They could realistically make up a bartering trifecta along with fuel and water.

DZS

Survivor
Backer
Hehe, there's something else you can use battery's for rather explosive. Do you like the idea of battery bombs?

Now imagine thats a car battery exploding next to a group of zombies :p

Thread starter #3

lovebus

Backer
first off, that looks like a flashy but weak explosion. It would be a good distraction tool i suppose, but it requires half an hour of constant charging, and even then, it seems like it would explode randomly. I guess I just don't see how capacitor bombs would be particularly useful.

what utility did you have in mind?

DZS

Survivor
Backer
The video was meant to be a basic example. Overvolting capacitors is not the only way to explode them, negative polarity should do the trick - unsure if the same would work with batterys. http://www.instructables.com/id/Why-Capacitors-Explodes-/ Believe me m8 if you have enough large capacitors stringed together they will make an impressive explosion lol you ever seen a small transformer go up whilst not quite on the same epic level of explosions large capacitors make a pretty nice bang.

There's also potential for other uses with capacitors, such as a Gauss Rifle
If the islands lore offered the ability for the player to discover an experimental power supply since were talking about a handheld coil gun :p even using conventional power sources explosive tipped bullets could pack a decent punch. It would be one way to add technologically advanced weapons yet still borrowing from reality since Gauss Rifles are a real thing that works by all laws of physics they are still just very early tech.

Ive also seen people making energy storage banks from capacitors interesting stuff.
https://phys.org/news/2014-12-capacitors-electrical-circuits-large-scale-energy.html

Last edited: