1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Regular Updates from the Devs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dodecahedron, Aug 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Dodecahedron

Dodecahedron Your favorite Platonic Solid Backer

Jul 11, 2017
    Hey guys,

I was wondering if it is planned to share regular updates with the community. It would be nice to receive updates every week. For example, every Monday you tell us what you are going to work on this week, the goals you would like to accomplish, challenges you are expecting, etc. You could also mention what you were working on last week, what you did finish, and which things you weren't able to complete.

I would appreciate receiving regular status updates from the team :)

Blo0DxSh0T likes this.
  2. Darkstar 影

Darkstar 影 Lone Survivor Backer

Jun 4, 2017
    Not sure about on Monday, but JB_ Has confirmed that there will be weekly updates after Backer Release :)

Dr. J and Dodecahedron like this.
  3. Num47

Num47 Sexual Tyrannosaurus Backer

Feb 24, 2015
    I think the updates we have been getting have been good enough... we've had the change-log for some months (it's not had an update but they are too busy) and also and new info is put up by a Mod/member if not a dev on the Discord thread here: https://community.survivethenights.net/threads/not-a-fan-of-discord.8950/ (that thread stickied yet? @strategos2411)

They are just super busy atm and I am sure that when STN is rolled out, regular updates will be a thing.

4. Darkstar 影

Jun 4, 2017
    Tbh I think it's better that they spend their time developing the game rather than telling us about it xD

Sneakydude, Dr. J and DemoCar82 like this.
  5. Clinton

Clinton Server Administrator Staff Member AllGamer Staff

Jul 25, 2014
    Come hang out on the discord. It's a lot easier for us just to post little snippets of what's going on and then get right back to work.

6. strategos2411

strategos2411 Lead Moderator Lead Mod Backer

Aug 13, 2014
    Not stickied no, and prolly not updated very often. Beyond whats already in the Discord thread, most of the stuff is a repetition of the forums, suggestions, questions about the release date, steam info on requirements to play the game etc, so I only update the discord thread when there is new info, or info I can't remember seeing before :)

Num47 likes this.
  7. Shishiaha

Shishiaha Active Member Backer

Jun 3, 2017
    I would highly recommend to communicate at a regular schedule.

You can see how Rust goodly manage updates. I think it's a mistake to focus on discord. Managing a website will give more visibility to customers and potential buyers.

Updating a game and working on it is efficient only if people can see it, i can understand how frustrating it is to see an update on steam and not be able to read a detailed patchnote. Once again, some game (yes rust is one that comes in my mind) do a really great job on it. Please take a look at it :) (Devlog & community update)

Blo0DxSh0T and FredLeFurieux like this.
  8. Darkstar 影

Jun 4, 2017
    They've already said they'll be doing regular updates as soon as they release it for backers

9. Dodecahedron

Jul 11, 2017
    It would be nice to receive regular updates even before the backer release. This way people would know how well the game is progressing and not expect to start playing the pre-release any day. I think it's okay if the release gets delayed even further, but it would be nice to know why, respectively to know which parts of the game aren't working yet.

Waiting without any information feels bad, but if you have information it feels much more bearable for most people. The devs have internal goals and they know what they achieved each week. They can easily share a few bullet points with us.

DMentMan likes this.
  10. Darkstar 影

Jun 4, 2017
    Oh trust me I agree completely, I'd love to know the current state of the game, but as someone who does things that don't always have a reliable schedule I can see why they wouldn't since things change and in game development everyone seems to think that three new guns being added is so much cooler than a fully fleshed out free-placing system, even though it's not, etc. etc. Also, we don't want to slow down any devs since there are so few, by forcing them to take time and write an update post when they could actually be working on the game.

Num47 likes this.
  11. Blo0DxSh0T

Blo0DxSh0T Survivor Backer

Dec 11, 2016
    I have to agree with a regular update at least once a week..It doesn't have to be a huge update..just this week we did this and we are gonna do this etc..I don't see how someone coming to the forum to make a quick little update once a week is gonna take soooooo much time away from game development ,that's just stupid... I'm not one of those whiners who are like gimmie a release date hurry hurry hurry,but only getting updates like once a month if that is a little frustrating. Like Shishiaha said,you shouldn't focus on discord and use the forums more..I hate discord and only uses it to talk with friends when gaming,im not gonna sit in a discord all day in hopes of an update or scroll through a bunch of chat in hopes of finding something.

Shishiaha likes this.
  12. JB_

JB_ Developer Staff Member Developer

Jul 25, 2014
    Firstly, we do regular updates. We've done dozens and dozens of them over the last 3 years now. We'll have a trackable bug and progress tracker along with forum updates after release. For the time being, we're on discord because it's easy for us - 24/7 practically. If that's not good enough for you, I'm sorry I can't help out just yet. Like Discord or not, it's what we're currently using and seems to be rather effective with nearly 3k members and almost 1k online members at any given time. There's plenty of information out there. You're meant to be joining in on the regular development of the game that's happening on Discord right now live.

EDIT - We also just released a 14 minute long video explaining exactly what's up. We need to develop the game, you know we're developing the game. It's going to take time and writing fluff updates kind of makes me personally feel like I'm having to defend the team against people who think we're doing nothing.

Dr. J, Hellarius and Shishiaha like this.
  13. Shishiaha

Shishiaha Active Member Backer

Jun 3, 2017
    It's not like defend yourself or the dev team, there is nothing to defend against.

And for now it's fine, i was speaking of after backer release for myself.

I'm sure there will be people to do it anyway ;)

14. Dodecahedron

Jul 11, 2017
    I wasn't insinuating that the team doesn't provide updates @JB_ , but I personally - and I guess also others - would like to see those updates published in the forum, ideally in a special sticky thread. I guess quite some information is shared on Discord, but there are people who have to work from morning until evening, and when they come home they don't want to read every post in every subsection on Discord. This just takes too long.

If once per week there would be a few bullet points being posted on this forum, this would be amazing. It would keep people engaged and it would reduce the number of people who get extremely frustrated.

Again, Discord is probably a good platform, but you have to be actively engaged, otherwise you have to read through everything that has been posted. People who are working don't have time for that, they just want a summary.

It's up to the team to decide how to communicate, but I wanted to let you guys know how you can improve communication. It's a suggestion, nothing more. You don't have to defend anyone, the team is working hard, but if the progress would be communicated on the forum, it would give us users more insight.

DMentMan likes this.
  15. strategos2411

strategos2411 Lead Moderator Lead Mod Backer

Aug 13, 2014
    https://community.survivethenights.net/threads/not-a-fan-of-discord.8950/

I do put some of the discord chat in that thread, it's not got much in it, because most of the stuff on Discord is a repetition of stuff on here. Was out yesterday with the kids all day, but away to grab a coffee and go back through Discord then copy any relevant info over to that thread.

Shishiaha and Num47 like this.
  16. Hauger

Hauger Moderator Community Mod Backer

Apr 17, 2016
  17. Dodecahedron

Jul 11, 2017
    That is nice, thanks. But asking you, or the devs, isn't the same as receiving updates from the team. Asking is an active act, receiving is passive. But more importantly, I would like to know exactly what the team is working on. Basically, what is on the to-do list, what has been tackled, which new items came up, etc. If you like, I can ask those questions every week, that's fine. I'm interested in the internal road map. If the team doesn't want to share this information, which is understandable, please let us know.

18. ocelot07

ocelot07 Member Backer

Aug 14, 2014
    I have to agree a weekly update from the devs would be nice. At times I completely forget about this game. My hype for it has completely gone to the point where I am not really bothered about if this game releases or not. Am not crapping on the devs here I can't even begin to imagine how much time and effort it goes into making games especially when the dev team is so small.

However, I do think a weekly update would be nice. Even if it's a quick message saying hi guys, This week we did this and next week we will be doing this. Just to keep this game in the back of our minds. Even though I have no hype for this game right now and very little interest. I will still give the alpha/beta ago.

mikes2210 likes this.