• Hello Guest,

Alpha v1.0 has been released on Steam! Bug reports can be made using our new in-game bug reporting system. Please consider joining our Discord if you need assistance.

-The team at a2z(Interactive);

Rejoining and Sleeping

Thread starter #1

gummy8unny

Backer
So currently you can use a bed or sleeping bag to "sleep" so when you rejoin the server you join back in your previous position. I think this works as intended.
However, if you do not sleep you will placed at one of the spawn points. This is where I think this system is flawed. Currently if you were to lose connection or the game/servers were to crash you would be relocated away from your base or whatever you were currently doing. I haven't tested this but I would think this could be abused by you just leaving and rejoining you could essentially teleport around the map with no consequences.

My solution would be if you leave abruptly your character would maintain their position however, the character would stay in the world for 30 seconds. This would leave the player vulnerable to attack from zombies or other players, but as long as you are relatively safe when you join back you should be where you left off.

Pros: Not displaced if servers crash, No combat logging (leaving to avoid a fight), no teleporting around, sleeping is still a faster method of logging out so not useless.

Cons: If your game does crash while fighting zombies you'll probably lose your stuff and be displaced.

Love to get some other opinions.

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
I've had a couple of unexpected server disconnects during play. Each time I respawned with what I was carrying, but in a different location. I've once suffered from an issue using a sleeping bag and having to restart.

I think you're right on point here @gummy8unny with the combat logging thing. There's already a logoff timer in the game, do you think that should be increased? Should the back-end servers have a sort of 'heart-beat' timer that would let them know if it was a genuine connection loss or a player 'stuff it' moment?

Might that be possible with a TSR stub? Would that adversely effect the GDPR regulations?

But back to your main point, I do agree that just restarting endless times if you don't like (perhaps don't recognise) the location you're in should be in someway discouraged. The 30 seconds you suggest sounds like a good starting point. Do you think this should increase if you respawn of your own choice (like unlock attempts on a 'phone) repeatably?

Thread starter #3

gummy8unny

Backer
I don't really think its necessary to determine the cause of disconnect just that the player left without sleeping. I suggested 30 seconds for any disconnect that isnt sleeping as to keep sleeping a relevant mechanic as it would be shorter and safer. If you have nothing you can type /suicide to respawn else where. The problem with disconnecting and reconnecting is you keep your stuff and you move which can be abused.

EDIT: maybe repeatedly suiciding can play in to the mental state causing it to go down with each attempt, but I dont really see and issue with trying to get a better spawn at the start

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
Hmm, @gummy8unny , might that be a bit unfair on players with internet issues, or suffering from server resets (yes, I've had the latter).

I do like the idea of a mental state degradation if you use the console commands to restart too often. How do you see that being implemented? In the world of GDPR, would that be server side of client side? If the former, then what's to stop a player just changing servers?

Thread starter #5

gummy8unny

Backer
Why would it be unfair, if anything its more fair because they can continue where they left off and in the case of server resets which ive also experienced you wouldnt be moved away from the area you are occupying as no zombie or player can harm you if there is no server running.

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
Why unfair? Well, this game is meant to be playable on most machines with reasonable internet speed connections. Even my five year old rig runs most of the game setting in Ultra. But my internet connection does sometimes drop, or will be restricted by the provider. As my concentrator died about six years ago, it takes about ten minutes to swap over to back-up internet connections.

The internet is what it is. Access providers are who they are.

But should the game make allowances for those scenarios we've talked about here? It is just a game. Making changes so you can re-spawn where the game crashed/internet dropped/combat logged/whatever seems like a lot of codeing for the dev team.

Perhaps we could agree on a degradation of mental health based on the number of times you re-spawn in a certain period of time? And starting at a spawn point close to your last disconnect, so you have a chance to find your body and loot it?

DZS

Mammoth
Backer
I do think sleeping should be looked at closer particularly as things roll up to public release on steam if there are exploit potentials.

Velocetation

Backer
Yeah combat logging and just logging out to get around the map is definitely an issue that needs to be taken care of (while its not such a big issue currently but I can definitely see it becoming an issue once the game gets a larger playerbase like at alpha release).
When it comes to how to deal with the issue I agree with most of what gummy said

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
I agree here and I also don't see it as being unfair tbh, if it solves exploits and doesn't compromise other mechanics I'm game.

My computer and internet also like to act up on the odd occasion and I have other survival games where the risk of losing progress is there but it's my choice to risk that and shit happens sometimes.

It could also be removed or improved at anytime so it could be worth a try.