• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Renovating houses/removing debris

Thread starter #1
It would be great if there was a feature where you could remove the garbage and debris in houses when you decide you want to live in them. For exampe, you could take a fallen bookshelf or maybe a flipped bed and have a feature where you can either flip them over or maybe salvage them for resources like firewood. This would also add a repair feature as you could use resources to repair broken items and walls inside the house you live in to make it that much more homier. Also right now there is alot of garbage in houses/other buildings like trash bins, cinderblocks, small metal pipes and so on. This feature however wouldn't be limited to houses as you could salvage the trash piles you find on roads for small amounts of resources. This could also pair with that you could put bookshelves and desks infront of doorways and windows to block out zombies and people for a bit longer as they have to damage the bookshelf to get in.

FallenEmber

Backer
I'm pretty sure /cleanup [radius] already does that but is limited to admins to prevent griefing.

Kimokeo

My wife and I were just talking last night about that very same thing, it would neat if they added something like that when fortifications get implemented. perhaps even being able to move some of the cabinets and crates from outside to inside.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
I do like this idea, @GEN. Trögfattad, but would it require all the models for rubbish to be re-written? I sort of assume that the model for a pile of rubbish is currently one item. If you were to split it down in to separate models for each part, and make them interactive, that's a lot more detail to render, and more co-ordinates for the game to store.
On a lighter note, is a bed-flip the new table-flip?

Who's This Pleb

Future Ophthalmologist
Backer
I'm totally on board for that idea! If you're going to make a spot your base, you're not going to leave 20 garbage bags in the middle of the living room right? For looting and exploring a town, it is a nice touch. But you should have the option to move things around later down the line.

Admin #7

JB_

Developer
Developer
How can we do it without it being super clunky. We're not interested in actually walking up to individual piles and 'picking them up' or anything like that. We've float the idea of some kind of 'House Maintenance Book' perhaps in the furnace rooms? You can bring up the UI paper style like all of our other bits. If you have the cleaning materials or whatever we decided you can remove things. Maybe you get some small bits for doing so also? Screws, nails, metal rod/plate etc what do you think?

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
How can we do it without it being super clunky. We're not interested in actually walking up to individual piles and 'picking them up' or anything like that. We've float the idea of some kind of 'House Maintenance Book' perhaps in the furnace rooms? You can bring up the UI paper style like all of our other bits. If you have the cleaning materials or whatever we decided you can remove things. Maybe you get some small bits for doing so also? Screws, nails, metal rod/plate etc what do you think?
Something like this rough idea: https://gyazo.com/cd97a1e80376537ba185a5d67da48e2c,
then can add tabs underneath for options like Overall building state, Clean "X" Room etc etc...

Maybe you'd also need a workbench to-do such tasks and also used like a storage unit for your safe-house supplies (think fallout 4 workshop) (maybe upgrade the storage space aswell using pallets to keep more materials than you could in just the workbench) and when cleaning/maintaining the structure the reclaimed supplies transfare to there, bit arcadey but keeps it fun and somewhat tedious.

Trash piles/broken furniture could be represented withing the UI to then select to remove/fix.

And ofc you'd still need to manually fortify the building.

Edit:
How would you get the option to-do this thou?... maybe it requires you to fully search the property and also check/clear the rooms are free of zed/people then the UI will be available.?

Last edited:

FallenEmber

Backer
I'd love to pick up individual pieces of garbage. :)