1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rent server on STN

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by mormis, Nov 1, 2017.

1. mormis

mormis New Member Backer

Oct 20, 2017
    Hi there, do you have already an idea on the price/specs of the servers that we will be able to rent? They will also be available on the backer release or later on?
    Thanks and keep up the good work!

OhDemGames likes this.
  2. RickGrimesdd

RickGrimesdd Survivor Backer

Apr 29, 2016
    there thinking around a $1 a slot so my guess would be around 30 to 45 dollars usd. they could be more slots added later but i think initial backer release will be 30 slots. i think shortly after that we can rent a server

3. Sneakydude

Sneakydude Survivor Backer

Jul 24, 2016
    I am hoping that number comes down, as more servers will be rented in the future. I would say .50 a slot if we had 100's of servers rented. I believe it will not be USD funds but i don't know exactly @Clinton price ranges. Any docs, posts on it yet? Pretty expensive right now for testing.

4. OhDemGames

OhDemGames Oh so pretty oh so pretty Community Mod Backer

Jun 19, 2017
    We wont know the pricing until all the backers are on and clinton sees the resources being used then hopefully they will have a better idea for pricing and it will start at 30 players a server then can be changed based on players input.

mormis likes this.
  5. RickGrimesdd

RickGrimesdd Survivor Backer

Apr 29, 2016
    Well it’s not based on quantity it’s based on the resources needed to run the servers for stn.

6. Nasir

Nasir TheMap Backer

Jan 2, 2015
    Putting a dollar amount on players has always been bad business imo, ive owned and operated dedicated game servers for the past 10 years or so. I never felt the justification of putting a price on slots as it seems to restrictive to the dynamic nature of a server. Each client can cause more or much less demand on cpu/disk and ram depending on activity. Which is really why I hope server files will be available shortly after consumer servers are opened.

Letting one company manage rent-able servers at launch has never turned out well and I don't think it will be any different during this launch. The demand will outweigh the availability, which in turn will effect the overall experience backers will have. Not only will they be dealing with legitimate bugs via the game code but we will also have to deal with oversold VPS dedicated boxes that will make or break the experience. In the case of STN I expect not enough servers and crashing which could essentially turn people away that would like to help bug test.

A github or some sort of community bug repo will be a must and I havn't seen a early launch yet that didn't benefit much more from community run servers than rent-able servers w/ tacked on control panels. Server issues are much better observed by experienced admins who can generally troubleshoot via console or log.

mormis likes this.