• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Repairing/Changing Tires

Would repairing tires be a fun idea?

• Total voters
Thread starter #1

Xander Skeiron

Professional Bomb Engineer
Backer
So, the majority of people are dead, and dead people cannot drive cars (or so I've heard ) and I think that flat or deflated tires would be an excellent addition in terms of realism. It would affect the top speed and handling of a vehicle ( if the left tires are flat the car would have a tendancy to steer a bit left and the driver must compensate for that and so on). Other than that, having a flat or deflated tire would increase it's chance of bursting, attracting zombies and rendering the vehicle useless, but still drivable, just loud, slow and hard to maneuver.

To avoid this a pump is mandatory, either hand driven, which is slow and drains a lot of stamina, or electric pumps that use the the car's 12v socket. The electric one should be found only in garages or in top of the line cars.

Other than that, I think that with the right tools you should be able to remove wheels from a found car and add them to your vehicle of choice, but beware, not all wheels are compatible with all cars, some have 4 bolts, some 5 or 6, even 7 or 8 for trucks.

And now the tools required: lug wrench, car jack (scissor car jacks are most common in cars)

Oshawott

Pokemon
Backer
Sounds good except there are no car with 7 lugs.

Thread starter #3

Xander Skeiron

Professional Bomb Engineer
Backer
There was a post in which JB replied that he will have a van, maybe it's wheels will be the only 7 bolt wheels in the game (or world lol) so that others won't be intrested in stealing dem fancy wheels, maybe just as a trophy xD

Lt Snake X

ParaMedic
Backer
As long as i can steal the tires off your car for my own ill be happy

Last edited by a moderator:

Oshawott

Pokemon
Backer
As long as i can steal the tires off your car for my own ill be happy
This is what happens when you open a car dealership in the ghetto.

Last edited by a moderator:

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.

Zack Atkins

Backer
I just thought that you would have to repair your tire if you drive over trees or trash and there would be a chance

of your tire getting popped. You could still drive it but it would be slow and hard to steer (if front was flat). You

could find jacks in the game and repair the tire or find a service station like in one of the devs videos. You then

could drive onto the car lifter and have to change the tire. or if u had a air pump, jack and a patch kit, you could

pump the tire back up and drive off. I just thought it would be cool. Also if tow trucks were implemented as well so

would have to find a tow truck or ask someone to tow it. Just food for thought

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
Interesting thought, definitely adds to the realism. There are a lot of different game mechanics that could be implemented for tire wear. Do they just wear over time? Does different terrain affect the rate of wear (off-road vs gravel/dirt vs pavement)? What about driving over obstacles and debris (like you mentioned)? If you drive on a flat for too long would it wear to the point you're left with nothing but rim?

I think all three repairing/towing options would be nice to have, if this were to be implemented.

Zack Atkins

Backer
what i thought was if you took your rv offroading you would be risking popping the tires and or ruining the suspension. Although if you drive a 4x4 there would be far less chance. All of what you mentioned would be cool.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Damn I just made a post here http://community.survivethenights.net/threads/car-jacks-tire-irons.1404/ that fits here more... :oops:

And +1 for sure with this... I like all the ideas mentioned above in ways to repair a vehicle from roadside to shop repair, and I like the thought of environmental hazards for vehicles like heavy brush, rough ground etc as-well possible player placed things like broken glass on roads, caltrops etc.

Davz Not Here

Backer
i say +1

great idea and, as i so often like to point out, opens the door for further detail like:

Tire types - off / on road, all weather, re-retread or not,

also ..... skills, achievements (100s, making fun of NasCar), tools, durability .....

+1