1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Risky Fast Action Performing?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by EvanQ, Jul 17, 2017.

1. EvanQ

EvanQ Member

Jul 17, 2017
    I posted this in the Discord a little bit ago and some people seemed to like it, so I thought I would bring my idea here.
    Heres the premise:
    Imagine you're being chased by zombies, with nothing to do but fight. But considering you don't have much time, you might want to reload faster, so I have the solution.
    A key to hold while performing actions to make them go faster, but in turn have a chance to fail, and make more noise.
    So you could hold a key while reloading a gun and load it faster, but with the possibility of screwing up.
    Anyways, might need to be elaborated on further but it's just a preposition.
    Thanks!

2. lovebus

lovebus Active Member Backer

Jul 9, 2017
    tap to reload and hold briefly to quickly reload? I like it. I really like this idea because it makes the rewards for highly maintained weapons that much more apparent.

I wonder if there should be any other drawbacks besides higher chance to fail? I was thinking about this reload generating sound, but the gun shot would already create much more noise.

3. Num47

Num47 Sexual Tyrannosaurus Backer

Feb 24, 2015
    +1
    Maybe failing could also result in losing/dropping the rounds/shells/magazine/clip you where about to reload and the worse your mental state is, the higher the chance you'll fumble around.

Hauger likes this.
  4. Darkstar 影

Darkstar 影 Lone Survivor Backer

Jun 4, 2017
    +1
    Maybe you can cancel it as well? In my most recent lore post someone walked in with a gun, and my character tried to get out his gun quickly, ended up just fumbling it around on his back(This would be a failed fast action)
    Whereas if it were a successful fast action, he could've had his gun up and ready in less than a second, but maybe it's pretty inaccurate for a moment(Not that in that specific scenario it would've matter, since it was a shotgun at close range, but still)

Num47 and Stay Alive like this.
  5. lovebus

lovebus Active Member Backer

Jul 9, 2017
    I definitely like the idea of an algorithm that takes into account both item maintenance AND mental state. These are both systems that needed more mechanics to interact with.

6. Dr. J

Dr. J Survivor Backer

Aug 14, 2014
    I'm liking the idea here, not sure the underlying software in the game could support it.
    But if it could, then doing something faster, with a percentage chance of complete failure, would be something I'd like to see in the game.

Num47 likes this.
  7. Num47

Num47 Sexual Tyrannosaurus Backer

Feb 24, 2015
    I could be wrong but it could be something similar to how we see the light switches working, the circular progress bar thing... maybe when you press "R" the same bar appears, then pressing and holding "R" would speed it up but with a chance that it would fail.

Say your mental state it above 50% it's a 90% chance you'd do it and below 50 it's a 90% chance you'll fail?... the reason I think it should be so high is to make people think about staying sane for the sake of staying alive.

Dr. J likes this.
  8. EvanQ

EvanQ Member

Jul 17, 2017
    All of the comments on here are very good additions and I definitely like how my idea is shaping.
    Mental state should definitely affect this, however, I don't think there should be any other drawbacks besides failing, considering that would already screw you over enough. Just saying.

Num47 likes this.