• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Road Spikes / Tire Spikes

Thread starter #1
These little things can be used to stop vehicles by puncturing a tire or two and ambush the player(s) in the vehicle. This could seem like a pretty jerk thing to do but then again its a survival game. They could also be used for home defense though, say some guys try to roll up on someones house, well if the player has these on the road and the attackers run over them, well now their escape vehicle has be neutralized. Crafting them wouldn't be too difficult either, all the player would need is some nails and a welder and there you have it! If the player does not have access to a welder then he/she could easily just put the nails through a wood board and have a homemade spike strip though it would be more noticeable.

a5db09622f95876066d3e4ca31aace75.jpg 4e6ae89ba40ac.image.jpg

Fatigue

And so begins my watch.
Backer
fairly good idea, but could be annoying as hell. especially if the vehicles are as hard as they say to come by. unless there was a way that you could only place them around your 'base' , as opposed to being able to put them any where and everywhere?

Madsl

The Meme guy
Backer
I would see how this would be heavily abused :D As they are very small and require a large amount to be effective.

Thread starter #5
fairly good idea, but could be annoying as hell. especially if the vehicles are as hard as they say to come by. unless there was a way that you could only place them around your 'base' , as opposed to being able to put them any where and everywhere?
Good idea, how about if they added a decay feature to them like in Rust and the only way they wouldn't decay is to place them near your "base's" area of influence.

jakejakereal

Mature Adult
Backer
Items Needed:
1 scrap metal = 5 caltrops

Tools needed:
Hammer

The homemade caltrop is a triangular shape of sharp bent metal. It is a trap that would be perfect for both survivors on the move and home defence. Simply throw a few of these any where you want and if driven over they can rip tires to shreds and if walked on can cause sever injury to the feet.

castroTheMexican

CastroTheMexican
Backer
Items Needed:
1 scrap metal = 5 caltrops

Tools needed:
Hammer

The homemade caltrop is a triangular shape of sharp bent metal. It is a trap that would be perfect for both survivors on the move and home defence. Simply throw a few of these any where you want and if driven over they can rip tires to shreds and if walked on can cause sever injury to the feet.
i don't know about 5 but i guess it depends of the size of the metals

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Like the idea alot. Only problem is trolls putting them every where to be dicks lol
Run Flat Tires?...just a suggestion ;)

Edit: Just thought...that would stop you stepping on them thou lol

QuickLoad

ΜЛШ ˢᵗᶰ Sq. Scorpio CO
Backer
That's.. the point of caltrops.
Cheap, yet effective.

With trolls, just add something like a 24hr server restart cycle, so when it restarts, the caltrops will be gone.
Those who used it for defense won't suffer a too much, because it's cheap to make.

Mitch

King
Backer
When I read the title I thought you meant police road strips and was going to suggest nails instead, looks awesome :p

TheDwemerComrade

Backer
Those who used it for defense won't suffer a too much, because it's cheap to make.
Seems like the trolls won't suffer much either, as they could just make them again. Unless they use up all their resources, but then they could get more. The cycle continues.

Man, balancing is hard. People like to ruin the fun of cool things and that's just disappointing.

Moderator #18

DemoCar82

This is it... the apocalypse.
Community Mod
Backer
Just don't make it so simple as to have nails to be able to build them... Must be an appropriate "level" in a skillset and have the proper welding equipment to build these. ??

Ziaka

Backer
Neat idea in theory but this would definitely get abused and I know I would tire (bad pun soz) of it quickly, especially if they're small and don't require many nails to create.

If this idea was to be taken seriously I think a larger trap would be better. While a larger trap like a more traditional military spike trap would require more effort to dodge it would be a much more visible allowing people who're watching where they're driving to have a chance to dodge. Anything small like OPs picture would be extremely unbalanced and wouldn't give the driver a chance. It would also be way to easy to craft. Anything this powerful should require a lot more farming to build. 8 odd nails is way to few mats.

This would be better as much more visible and could justify far more materials to craft:

MrMoose

Real talk
Backer
Just don't make it so simple as to have nails to be able to build them... Must be an appropriate "level" in a skillset and have the proper welding equipment to build these. ??
That would be cool, perhaps with the effectiveness increasing as your weld skill increases.
An easy way to limit it would be to add multiple nail sizes - make only the larger nails somewhat effective and make them much rarer than standard 2.5" 8d nails.

Maybe heat treating/sharpening the nails could also increase it's effectiveness.