1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Road Spikes / Tire Spikes

Discussion in 'Traps' started by William Coleman, Aug 14, 2014.

1. QuickLoad

QuickLoad ΜЛШ ˢᵗᶰ Sq. Scorpio CO Backer

Aug 14, 2014
    Yeah, sounds better for balancing.
    Offtopicslightly, that road strip is so bare... so many cars went over it probably.

2. BlackWater

BlackWater Cultured Crow Backer

Aug 14, 2014
    If you want a larger spike trap Biz suggested a simple floor trap in the form of a wood board with multiple nails hammered through it, after that I followed up on the same thread with a simple makeshift spike strip using his trap and eye screws and either cheap carabiners or metal chain links.
    http://www.community.survivethenights.net/threads/floor-board-trap.3033/

It would take a lot more material to build then a small road spike or a simple board trap and it would require some light welding if you used chain links to hold it together. I also think the basic floor board trap would be easier to see for a driver

All that being said I really like the road spike trap as well, it may be really small but its def simple, maybe if its not built with an adaqute welding skill like people have sugested it will collapse on its self if driven over by a vehicle and only do minor damage to the tire. Opposed to creating it with sufficant knowldge in welding where it would be a lot sturdier, you could also do something similar to the diy spikestrip and use chain links to turn multiple road spikes into a long spike chain.

3. Jeffernaut

Jeffernaut Well-Known Member Backer

Aug 14, 2014
    This reminded me of the road spikes the police used during the first episode of the walking dead
    road spikes walking dead.jpg

4. Castillo

Castillo Survivor Backer

Jan 22, 2015
    The problem is with the spikes is that if you shove a nail into a tire, it won't deflate because there's nowhere for the air to escape. That's why police spikes are hollowed out to allow the air to escape through them instead of relying on something to pull them out to allow the air to escape. Gonna have to think around that one. :p

5. Huginn

Huginn Active Member

Aug 10, 2017
    if they are made of pipes, then it take out a hole piece insted of getting stock.

6. DemoCar82

DemoCar82 This is it... the apocalypse. Community Mod Backer

Aug 14, 2014
    Check original post... those would deflate the heck out of a tire if ran over.

7. Castillo

Castillo Survivor Backer

Jan 22, 2015
    A normal nail? Trust me, it wouldn't.

8. DemoCar82

DemoCar82 This is it... the apocalypse. Community Mod Backer

Aug 14, 2014
    That's why I said, check original post... they would wreck a tire.

9. Huginn

Huginn Active Member

Aug 10, 2017

It depends on the tire used, some are made to withstand nails.

Maybe different lvl tire?

10. Warboss Mekk Muncher

Warboss Mekk Muncher New Member Backer

Sep 20, 2014
    I think there could be an potion to hide the nails under a coat of leaves, making a distinctive unnatural set of leaves, but not obvious if you don't know what to look for. The first time you walk or drive over these, you are surprised, but you always look for them after that.