• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Rooftop access.

Thread starter #1

Scott Rafferty

Designer.
Backer
So all buildings will be enterable but will certain building have rooftop access. A two story concrete building would be ideal.

- One way in through a stairwell on the top floor.
- If you jumped off the side it would be certain death (so as not to make it a bit of an OP position)
- Certain -game mechanic bonuses (if implemented) would be factors such as protection... Near maximum protection from zeds but weather etc would be at a minimum (depending on the architecture of the roof).
Rats and other small food types would be scarce up there aswell.

Just trying to make it so the position is one of the best in game but all other aspects of survival are pretty minimal.

Would make It interesting to have a full building occupied by different players all holed up in different rooms.

Moderator #2

Lord Goose

One does not simply hunt.
Community Mod
Backer
Very good idea, stops people camping the roofs sort of. If you have a team of 2 - 4 you can have one person on the roof and the other guys can keep the guy on the roof food and water keeping him alive, maybe some sort of feature which requires to move otherwise you get cold and start to shiver? causing illness?

We'll see what the devs have in-store for us :)

Tally Ho!

Moderator #4

Lord Goose

One does not simply hunt.
Community Mod
Backer
Heh if there is molitoves / pipe bombs also make it hard to be up there
I'm pretty sure home-made grenades will be in STN, Molotovs? Anyone can make them :p

Tally Ho!

peterpiper007

If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn?
Backer
I vote for rooftop access, the devs must now make this happen. Make it happen people. We'll just sit here and wait. Patiently. With nachos and mountain dew. It's okay, we're gamers, we're pros at waiting for awesome game features which may or may not happen.

As a side note, what about jumping from one rooftop to another... that would be very awesome, especially if jumping was the only way to access certain roofs.

NothingsTRUE

Survivor
Backer
I think roof top access is a great idea BUT I would like to be able to go up and down. That way I can have crops up there or a few low walls with camo netting so I can better defend my territory. Will also make for a good Small "city" type for friends.

Moderator #8

Alexander Matthews

M0d3rat0r
Community Mod
Backer
Interesting idea. There needs to be more of a penalty of being able to camp up there or something. I get that rats and such are scarce but people will camp it and if there is a team that exceeds person limit of 5 that place will guarded to all hell. Which I am not saying is bad. It provides a challenge. Again I do like the idea very much and don't see too much of a problem this couldn't be in the game.

Thread starter #9

Scott Rafferty

Designer.
Backer
Could make the smaller buildings less cover, such as a 1' etc wall surrounding the rooftop surface and larger buildings have too much cover such as 4' high wall or mesh fence.

if the fence idea is viable you could implement it on any rooftop surface and have bits that are ripped apart. Could only shoot out of a certain position in a certain direction, but you could see through the fence everywhere.

Offensive penalties for both size of buildings.
Defensive advantages (pretty good) for both aswell.

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer
What about holes and deterioration of the roofs structure? Holes could be used as a quick escape to get to lower floors at the cost of a little health. As well as limit the usefulness of certain roofs which would make you have to decide which one is best to use.

Moderator #12

Alexander Matthews

M0d3rat0r
Community Mod
Backer
Could make the smaller buildings less cover, such as a 1' etc wall surrounding the rooftop surface and larger buildings have too much cover such as 4' high wall or mesh fence.

if the fence idea is viable you could implement it on any rooftop surface and have bits that are ripped apart. Could only shoot out of a certain position in a certain direction, but you could see through the fence everywhere.

Offensive penalties for both size of buildings.
Defensive advantages (pretty good) for both aswell.
'tis an interesting idea my friend. In some way what I was looking for in my previous explanation. I give it a +1.

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
I really like this idea, it would also allow us to create little roof top shanty towns if there is a group of buildings close enough. Playing the DayZ mod and camping out on some of the tallest buildings was a fun experience especially if you have a group so you always have someone to gaurd the staircase/entrance.

Rofl reading the thoughts on scaricty of food on top of roofs instantly made me think of some insane survivor sitting on top of a roof eating raw pigeons, lol imagine walking up a staircase or climbing up a ladder and reaching the top of a building only see thousands of pigeon feathers covering the roof. Then some freakish golem esque player with super low sanitiy, wearing ripped pieces of clothing of the previous players that ventured to the top of the building and pigeon remains, he then lunges at you with a large rock and evrything goes black. The Pigeon Man has struck agian ROFL.

lol like this but with pigeons
http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb...andad/images/thumb/4/4a/Ira.jpg/500px-Ira.jpg

BABYBLACKHOLE

Tiny darkness
Backer
Awesome idea!

Most of us hate campers but it also adds some intense game play and atmosphere, I don't think people should be penalised for real world behaviours, camping on the roof or some other vantage point makes complete sense in real life.

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
I just had a thought for roof top access for diffrent buildings, what about roof hatchs? They are used fairly often for roof top access on commercial buildings like gas stations/garages, grocery stores and warehouses. They are useally accessed from the inside by a small extendable ladder or staircase and are hard to spot from afar outside. They are useally lockable with either a key or by using a padlock, the small ones would be difficult to pry open but not impossible but the large ones are pretty heavy and would be really hard to get open.

You could find the small ones on just about any commercial building as well as many others but the large ones would only be located on large industrial or commercial buildings like office buildings or warehouses.

Kacproc

Interesting idea. There needs to be more of a penalty of being able to camp up there or something. I get that rats and such are scarce but people will camp it and if there is a team that exceeds person limit of 5 that place will guarded to all hell. Which I am not saying is bad. It provides a challenge. Again I do like the idea very much and don't see too much of a problem this couldn't be in the game.
Isn't sanity a thing your hands will edible wobble after w few kills which will make sniping impossible well accurate snipping and well I hope only 2 % of the players will have a high calibar sniper rifle or any rifle I'm going to be a trader guy that one guys that runs up to a car takes all the parts and sells them for other thing to people later hiring bodyguards and shit that my job